Membership

  • Romeo Raymond C. Santos
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 25, 2007
      Hello. Thanks for inviting me to join the group.
      About myself. I'm 38, from the Philippines and am a practicing lawyer.
      I count myself a Filipino through and through, although family
      tradition has it that my great-granddad (paternal grandma's dad)
      was Chinese, and that my granddad was a grandson of a Spaniard.
      Nothing unusual for Filipinos; our country has attracted many
      foreigners, and as much as a third have some foreign ancestry.
      About the US, I have the highest respects for that country.
      Nowhere else in the world do you have people from all over the world
      working together, blending with each other and loving each other.
      I haven't been to the US, and hence, the impression I have about it
      might be rather idealized , particularly as regards race relations.
      In my heart, I can tell you that I am proud of the
      accomplishments of Americans of all races and ethnic
      backgrounds. The pride of African-Americans in Martin
      Luther King, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, Booker T.
      Washington, etc. are mine too. I take pride in Rita Moreno,
      Mayor Villaraigosa of LA, Tito Puente, Santana and others too.
      I hope I could contribute something to make this e-group an
      educative and supportive one. I can't assure you though,
      that I'd be steady Eddie here. I'm as busy as a bee!
      Yours,
      RRCS
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2007
        Hi RRCS,

        Welcome to `Generation-Mixed'.

        We are very happy to have you here;
        to see that you have become a
        part of our community.=D>

        The people here are just great and you
        will have an opportunity to meet and
        speak with a lot of new friends !! ;;)

        You, your lineage and your career sound very
        interesting and we would love to and are looking
        forward to hearing more from you about all.

        Welcome again RRCS -- and have a great day!!:)

        -- M

        Related Links:

[...]
      • mulatta_loca
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2007
          Welcome! I'm Jamaican, Ecuadorian, and
          Polish, but people say I look Filipina!

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
[...]

        • Rommel Santos
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 26, 2007
            Dear Rosanna:
            I bet you do. With Ecuadorian and Jamaican blood running
            through your veins, I'm almost sure you like one of us.
            Filipinos are an ambiguous bunch. I've got friends who've been to
            the US and some others who live there. Some have been mistaken
            for Mexicans, some for Chinese, some even 'pass' for "black".
            I met an African-American Marine originally from Savannah, and
            with his yellow-brown skin, I could've sworn he was Filipino.
            But he wasn't. Not a drop in his blood.
            He's got white relatives though.
            The ambiguity doesn't stop there.
            Our country is in Asia, home to Buddha, Confucius and
            Lao-Tzu, yet we are the only Catholic country there.
            We're like a bit of Latin America squeezed in there; we like
            dancing and music, and fiestas too, in honor of patron saints.
            My surname is Santos, but Reyes, Cruz, Lopez,
            Velasquez, Rodriguez are also common surnames.
            Many people bear resounding Hispanic names like
            Ramon Antonio Molina, or Maria Leonor de Leon
            who can't utter a single sentence in Spanish.
            At best, their sentences are filled with Spanish loanwords
            like ventana, telefono, florera, coche, and peligroso.
            The legacy of Mixed culture and mingling of the races!
            Glad to be part of the e-group!
            Yours,
            Romeo

            mulatta_loca <rosanna_armendariz@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2007
              I think it also has to do with my small stature.
              I live near the U.S. / Mexico border, and
              people here mistake me for Mexican as well.
              I think I got my tiny frame from the Ecuadorian
              side of my family -- those people are little!
              Anyway, the Philippines sounds like an interesting
              hodge-podge of cultures. If I ever get around to
              world traveling, I'll have to make a pit stop.

            • Wendy Arimah
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 27, 2007
                Rommel,

                My ex-boyfriend is Filipino.
                When we first met I had no idea 'what' he was.
                I thought he was Black and Japanese.
                We are the same complexion and a lot of people said we looked alike.
                Then many years later I began working with a guy who I
                thought was Filipino and I realized he was Black and Japanese.

                My personal equation; if someone 'looks' Asian and
                has a Spanish last name, they are Filipino.

                Mabuhay!

                mulatta_loca <rosanna_armendariz@ yahoo.com>