Re: Racially Mixed Bill of Rights

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2007

      Hi Mulatta_Loca,

      Welcome to `Generation-Mixed'.

      We are very happy to have you here;
      to see that you have become a part
      of our community / family.

      The people here are just great
      and we would love to hear more
      both from and about you and to
      receiving more of your posts.

      Here are links to other posts you
      may be able to relate to as well.

      Welcome again and have a great day!!

      -- M

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "mulatta_loca" <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

      Sounds good. I totally relate to it. Especially the parts
      about not being responsible for people's discomfort with my
      physical ambiguity, and not justifying my ethnic legitimacy.
      I'm tired of explaining to people what I am, and also
      justifying why I'm at an all black event (I'm black/
      white/latina, but look more latina than anything else).
      It can be exhausting.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoo
      groups.com
      , wintyreeve@... wrote:

      Hey Friends :)

      I found this on My Space..what do you think?
      BB~ Lynn

      Bill of Right's for Racially Mixed People
      ----- by psychologist Maria P. P. Root

      I have the Right

      ~not to justify my existence to the world
      ~not to keep the races separate within me
      ~not to be responsible for people's
        discomfort with my physical ambiguity
      ~not to justify my ethnic legitimacy

      I have the Right

      ~to identify myself differently thanstrangers expect me to identify
      ~to identify myself differently than how my parents identify me
      ~to identify myself differently than my sisters and brothers
      ~to identify myself differently in different situations

      I have the Right

      ~to create a vocabulary to communicate about being multiracial
      ~to change my identity over my lifetime -- and more than once
      ~to have my loyalties and identify
        with more than one group of people
      ~to freely choose whom I befriend and love