Re: Racially Mixed Bill of Rights

  • mulatta_loca
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 12:30 PM
      Sounds good. I totally relate to it. Especially the parts
      about not being responsible for people's discomfort with my
      physical ambiguity, and not justifying my ethnic legitimacy.
      I'm tired of explaining to people what I am, and also
      justifying why I'm at an all black event (I'm black/
      white/latina, but look more latina than anything else).
      It can be exhausting.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, wintyreeve@... wrote:

      Hey Friends :)

      I found this on My Space..what do you think?
      BB~ Lynn

      Bill of Right's for Racially Mixed People
      by psychologist Maria P. P. Root

      I have the Right
      ~not to justify my existence to the world
      ~not to keep the races separate within me
      ~not to be responsible for people's
      discomfort with my physical ambiguity
      ~not to justify my ethnic legitimacy

      I have the Right
      ~to identify myself differently than
      strangers expect me to identify
      ~to identify myself differently than how my parents identify me
      ~to identify myself differently than my sisters and brothers
      ~to identify myself differently in different situations

      I have the Right
      ~to create a vocabulary to communicate about being multiracial
      ~to change my identity over my lifetime -- and more than once
      ~to have my loyalties and identify
      with more than one group of people
      ~to freely choose whom I befriend and love
    • docilechicken24

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 2:11 PM

          Hi Mulatta_Loca,

          Welcome to `Generation-Mixed'.