Self Definition: Passing As Wentworth Miller

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27, 2007

      Self Definition: Passing

      ... As Wentworth Miller

      by Jonathan W. Hickman

      "But I'm not White,"
      actor Wentworth Miller told me by telephone.

      Miller plays the young Coleman Silk in THE HUMAN STAIN.

      In this new film from director Robert Benton the near
      present day Silk is played by Sir Anthony Hopkins.

      I had asked Miller how he went about
      auditioning for the role of a "
      black" man.

      Given Miller's very light complexion, I had
      wrongfully assumed that he was Caucasian.

      "My father is "black" [categorized] and my mother is 'White'.

      Therefore --- I could answer to either ---
      which kind of makes me a racial Lone Ranger,
      at times, caught between two communities."

      Miller was very up front about this and given the secret
      (which has been revealed in almost every review except
      mine) of STAIN, he seems to be the perfect choice for the role.

      STAIN deals with the whole idea of "passing"
      for a different "race" than one may actually be.

      "I wouldn't defend his decision to pass but I have sympathy
      for Silk given the times in which he made his choice —
      the 1940s in which race imposed many limitations."

      Miller told me that he understood Silk's problem and his
      decision to deny who he was but that such a decision
      meant that he had to live a life of fear, guarded.

      THE HUMAN STAIN was very personal
      for Miller due to the issue of "passing."

      Miller told me that while he was making the movie he was
      reminded of a quote from Toni Morrison's novel BELOVED:

      "definitions belonged to the
      definers--not the defined."...

      Source: http://www.einsiders.com/features/interviews/wentworthmiller.php
      Related Link: http://www.moviecrazed.com/critics/humanstain.html
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2007
        Amen to this!

        My son registered for Kindergarten and his race
        is listed as "nothing" and "blank" because
        the school will not accept that he is Mixed.
        I really wanted to scream--"What the he** do you think you are!?!"
        Seriously, think about the massive amount of denial
        people who claim to be "monoracial" live in.

        The whole world is a mixed society to some degree.
        Anyways, the school tried to pressure me to choose
        one race over the other and I absolutely refused.
        So now my son does not have a race, or one that
        they understand on those stupid forms anyways.

        All I have to say is Happy Mixed Day! Which is everyday for me :)

        Lynn

        Related Link:
      • Stacey Bent
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2007
          I can't belive that!! in this day and age people wanna
          still carry on like that! thats just ridiculous

          wintyreeve@... wrote:
          Amen to this!

          My son registered for Kindergarten and his race
          is listed as "nothing" and "blank" because
          the school will not accept that he is Mixed.
          I really wanted to scream--"What the he** do you think you are!?!"
          Seriously, think about the massive amount of denial
          people who claim to be "monoracial" live in.

          The whole world is a mixed society to some degree.
          Anyways, the school tried to pressure me to choose
          one race over the other and I absolutely refused.
          So now my son does not have a race, or one that
          they understand on those stupid forms anyways.

          All I have to say is Happy Mixed Day! Which is everyday for me :)

          Lynn

          Related Link:
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 2519

        • tlbaker
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2007

            Wow, I can't believe that in this day and age people are so
            backward. They won't even note that he is 1/2... and 1/2...
            or whatever percentage of his mixture is or even "other"??

            Lynne

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
              Is this movie ['The Human Stain'] going to be in theaters?
              Just curious. I have heard so much about it- and want
              to see it (just don't know WHERE???). Thanks=) Heather

              Related Link:
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007

                It's already been in theaters -- but you should
                be able to buy or rent it on DVD or VHS.  ;;)

                In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote
                :

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2007
                  Heather,

                  You can rent "The Human Stain" now. Enjoy :)
                  Lynn

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
                      Thanks to everyone who posted replies!
                      I knew you'd, all, know =)=)=)
                      I definitely will check it out, then
                      let you know what I thought of it.
                      Has everyone here seen it?
                      If so, what did you think of it?
                      Realistic? Harsh?
                      I can't wait to see it! Heather
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
                        I think you should see it first before getting opinions.
                        I enjoyed it but found some aspects unbelievable
                        - however I wont comment until you see it.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 4, 2007
                          Hello Heather,

                          I agree with Creole ... you should see "The Human
                          Stain", grin, then tell us what you think!
                          It wouldn't be fair to give an opinion before you saw the movie.
                          I thought the message of the movie, however, was compelling.

                          Blessings~ Lynn