Re: [Generation-Mixed] RE: 'Soul Food': a brief history!

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2007
      "RE: After chattel slavery ended, many
      former slaves, being poor, could afford
      only off-cuts of meat, along with offal."

      Reading this menu I would say 'the descendants'
      are doing pretty well for themselves!

      The first time I had "Fried Ice Cream"
      was at a Mexican food restaurant.
      I actually make mine with cornflakes, brown sugar
      and honey--sometimes add fruit or whipped cream.

      When I was in the homeless shelter, all we ever
      got for food was leftovers and sandwhiches.
      This one lady went to a visit with a friend, and snuck
      some neckbones, greens and cornbread back in the shelter.
      LOL* I will never forget how we snuck behind our
      cardboard, ate up that food then tried to hide it while
      the whole place was smelling up like a real kitchen!

      That's what I call "Soul Food"--there
      is just something healing about it.

      I would say too that being Mixed, you will learn a lot about
      your family heritage in the food--and the recipes passed down.
      In my family, no one looks at a paper copy, all the recipes
      are learned from watching or just hanging out in the kitchen.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Lynn