Re: Good Morning

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hello Friends,

      I know have an attitude sometimes but this is so funny,
      I had to share ...
      When I first met my mother-in-law, she tried to ambush me.
      She waited until my bf was out of the room then asked me,
      "SO what are you, anyways?" Her exact words, I swear.
      Straight face, no expression.. I replied, "Well a
      little bit of Golden (pause) Retriever. A little bit
      of Black (pause) Lab...you know, really different!"
      She froze. So funny! She didn't know what to say
      ...never asked me again, either.
      I can tell when people are nosy or insincere then I usually say
      something crazy. Once I even told someone I was a test tube baby.
      If a child is asking me, or someone ~ not having an
      obvious agenda, I usually am nicer (and more honest).

      Have a GREAT Day!! Lynn (GraceofWynn)
    • sudoangel2000
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        Thank you everyone for some great responses. I think to travel outside
        of the US opens one's eyes and finally see that we don't have to
        explain ourselves like we do here. In Paris if someone is interested
        they may are your origin but by asking that they want to know what
        country you are from. When I would say America they didn't buy that, I
        found that funny and refreshing at the same time. I'd end up
        saying "Je suis melange" basically I'm all mixed up and the French were
        happy with that answer.

        I didn't have a problem in London as well. In fact no one really asked
        at all.

        It's interesting to find out how other people in other countries may or
        may not view MGM-mixed people.

        I agree that here in the US the bias is well implanted into society.
        I've been other sites were it was a continous debate, okay heated
        sometimes nasty agruement, about what makes a person mixed in the first
        place. Percentages played a big part in those dicussions as well as
        the "one drop law" regardless if the history was explained or not. In
        all reality I don't think people can base anything on percentages etc
        logically I would assume if someone really had a burning need to know
        they who have to be genetically tested. Even still that most likely
        will be biased as well due to the catagorization of people by race in
        the world now.

        I have to say in my oppinion MGM-mixed people et al are the most
        interesting people I know :)
        --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, "sudoangel2000"
        <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:
        > To everyone :)
        >
        > I had a question for everyone:
        >
        > Do you find you have to explain yourself still in 2005? Meaning, I
        > still find I have to run down the lineage for people although nine
        > times out of ten they have already made up their minds before hand lol
        >
        > This came to mind because I went to Paris in April and I found the
        > people refreshingly accepting. Maybe this is a US thing.
        >
        > What do you think?
      • Almond Eyez
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          I'm mixed vietnamese and black.
          And I do get questioned in fact just last week someone asked me if I
          was mixed and I said yea why?
          They say I have 'those asian eyes'.

          *sigh, I've heard how being mixed in Europe "is not a big deal" and I
          wish Americans could have the same concept.

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            You know, if you guys keep mentioning your mixes and
            the male/female ratio continues we'll need to start a
            sister group for mixed dating. ;)

            Hmmm - now that I mention it....

            --- Almond Eyez <cocoalatte91@...> wrote:

            > I'm mixed vietnamese and black.
            > And I do get questioned in fact just last week
            > someone asked me if I
            > was mixed and I said yea why?
            > They say I have 'those asian eyes'.
            >
            > *sigh, I've heard how being mixed in Europe "is not
            > a big deal" and I
            > wish Americans could have the same concept.
            >

            > --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
            > "sudoangel2000"
            > <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:
            > > To everyone :)
            > >
            > > I had a question for everyone:
            > >
            > > Do you find you have to explain yourself still in
            > 2005? Meaning, I
            > > still find I have to run down the lineage for
            > people although nine
            > > times out of ten they have already made up their
            > minds before hand lol
            > >
            > > This came to mind because I went to Paris in April
            > and I found the
            > > people refreshingly accepting. Maybe this is a US
            > thing.
            > >
            > > What do you think?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Brittany Link
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
              well in america we are just now accepting that people can be mixed, before people we just clumped into being what the colored half was.

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                Actually Jeff -- I think that a group designed for
                "multi-racial socializing" (whether for dating or
                general events) sounds like a pretty cool idea!! :D

                Maybe you could consider even initiating such
                a group and seeing how it goes -- as I think
                that many mixed-people (including those who
                are members here) might be very interested. : )

                (The only thing is ... that it would probably take
                a lot of time to handle the moderating in order to
                prevent trollers and other such troublemakers from
                purposely trying to post offensive material, etc.).

                Just a thought. :D

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                  I can see plenty of potential headches there, but it
                  does sound appealing. I could be the high yella
                  Hefner.;P

                  But seriously, I do generally prefer to date mixed
                  women simply because I feel like I'd have more in
                  common with them and they'd have a better
                  understanding of who I am. I also feel like there is a
                  greater openmindedness to other cultures, ideas and
                  beliefs.

                  Unless they've been brainwashed by the militant
                  one-droppers.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                    Well ...let's see ... 'Jeff' does rhyme well with
                    "Hef" ... so ... it could very well be a 'sign'. ;)

                    Also - I understand what you are saying in
                    regards to feeling somewhat more compatible
                    with dating another 'multi'-racial individual
                    rather than someone who is or considers
                    themself to be a 'mono'-racial.

                    Often those who are unfamilar with the
                    whole idea of embracing your 'multi'-racial
                    heritage mistakenly think that you are
                    trying to deny or downplay one part of
                    your lineage in favor of another rather
                    than simply embracing all of who you are.

                    Your idea of a social / dating group
                    could offer an option for others who
                    are interested in meeting people who
                    understand their experiences and support
                    their embracing of their full heritage.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                      Of course it could be like fishing off the company
                      pier too ;)

                      http://mail.yahoo.com