Shameless request for help with video project

  • Ian Tucker
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 18, 2007
      Hi everyone.

      My name is Ian and I'm a newbie to Generation-Mixed.

      I am having some issues with a video project that I am
      doing and I thought that I might post my information
      here since there are some wonderfully intelligent
      people in this group who might be able to help me.

      First, a little history.

      When I was at art collage back in 1992 I produced a
      short video that was a personal, I guess "journey",
      into the struggles that I had being a Mixed-Race kid.

      It was a totally experimental video that showed
      me washing black and white paint off of my body.
      Sounds cheesy but remember - I was
      at art school and it was 1992.
      These where the "cover yourself
      in chocolate and call it art" days.

      However, out of all the bad and mediocre
      video experiments that I did at art school,
      this particular video, I felt, had
      a nugget of something good that I
      always felt I should explore further.

      14 years later, after listening to the
      Addicted to Race podcast, I got up the
      courage to re-open the file per say.

      Last year I applied for a small art
      grant to produce a video that explores
      the same subject as my 1992 film.

      I never really expected to get any money
      to do this thing but the Arts council
      thought it was a cool idea and gave me
      a little bit of money to get started.

      I am having two particular problems
      right now with my video and I thought
      some of you might be able to help me.

      The first is the audio portion.

      My good friend, Andra Simons, who is a
      dub poet and brilliant writer / actor,
      helped me to put together what will become
      a loose poetic voice-over for the video.

      Part of the voice-over poem has a list
      of terms used to describe Mixed-Race
      people from around the world.

      Part of that list is a bunch of
      non-English terms that Andra and
      I do not know how to pronounce.

      I have put the list on a website and I
      was wondering if any of you could have
      a look at it for me and let me know how to
      say any of the terms that you might know.

      Please pass on the website to any
      of your friends that might know too.

      The list is here:
      http://web.mac.com/loquattree/iWeb/Family%20Tree/List.html

      Also on the website is a photo
      donation section - my second problem.

      I was hoping to be able to show a large
      variety of Mixed-Race people in the video
      but I, for one, don't have the money to
      photograph people for the video and two,
      my search through the stock footage
      libraries has turned up a whole lot of
      models and not a lot of regular people.

      I explain it more on the website but
      essentially I'm now looking to see if
      I can get photo donations for the video.

      It's not something that will make or break
      this piece but I figured why not put the
      word out and see if anyone wants to let
      me use their pictures for my video.

      The worst anyone can say is no.

      My website has details about the video
      and myself so peopleunderstand who I
      am and what I'm trying to produce.

      Again, sorry for the shameless request
      for help but I thought some of you
      might be sympathetic to my work.

      On that note, if you think the video
      looks like a crap idea, which it
      might well just be, (it is an
      art video) just ignore this post.
      I won't be hurt.
      I know that it is kind of an elementary
      approach to the subject as compared to
      the type of sophisticated dialogue that
      I see happening on this blog but keep
      in mind that this is a start for me so
      if it seems juvenile just know that my
      goal is to learn from this piece and
      hopefully make a better one in the future.

      I shouldn't even really say that since I'm
      not even half way through this project yet.

      Anyway, I'd really appreciate
      any help that you can give me.

      Thanks in advance.

      Sincerely

      Ian Tucker

      website:
      http://web.mac.com/loquattree/iWeb/Family%20Tree/Home.html
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2007
        Hi Ian,

        Welcome to `Generation-Mixed'.

        We are very happy to have you here;
        to see that you have become a part
        of our community / family.

        The people here are just great and you
        will have an opportunity to meet and
        speak with a lot of new friends !!

        We would love to hear more both from
        and about you and to receiving
        more of your posts.

        Welcome again Ian -- and have a great day!!

        -- M

        P.S. Your project sounds very interesting and we are
        looking forward to hearing more from you about it/

        Related Links:

      • tlbaker
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2007
          Ian, I would do it except I don't
          have any good pictures of myself 8-(

          Lynne

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 21, 2007
            Hey, Ian! Great thing I think you're trying to do (the video, and all)=)
            Anyhow, I checked out the list and, yes... I am familiar with the
            pronunciation of the spanish words (I took 3 yrs. of spanish in h.s.,
            was active in our h.s. spanish club, had a foreign exchange student
            from Mexico and my 14-yr. old son speaks spanish quite fluently,
            so... to say we have a "background" in spanish is putting it mildly=).
            I have a friend who is currently studying mandarin, so...
            if you want, I can take the chinese/mandarin words to him???!
            Just let me know! Hope I can help somehow.

            Oh! By the way... ~~~WELCOME~~~ to the group!!!!!!

            Sincerely, Heather