The Mixed-Race 'Guy-Tate' Families

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2007

      The Guy Family

      James A. Guy, Sr. was born August 8,
      1772 in Ann Arundle County, Maryland.
      He was the progenitor of all the Guys in Southeastern Ohio.
      Everyone called him Gran Dad Guy.
      He married Deborah Ridgley.
      He died in 1866 at the age of 94.
      His children were:  Lloyd, Andrew, Mary A., Henrietta, Lydia,
      Amos C., James, Jr., Allen, William, Samuel, Elish and Sarah.
      Lloyd Guy was born in 1799.
      He was the oldest son of James A. Guy, Sr., and Deborah Ridgley.
      He was born in Ohio.
      He married Margaret Caliman.
      Their four children were:  Moses, William, Benjamin, and Mary.

      Moses C. Guy Family

      Frank "Tasey" Guy
      Delbert's & Clarence's Father

      Clearance Guy

      Standing:  Irma Tate-Guy,
      L-R:  Audra, Smyth, Gertrude, & Otis Guy

      Symth & Irma Tate-Guy

      Smyth Guy

      (?), Thedoshia Guy-Cross, Smyth guy, John Cross,
      Lovejoy Tate, Irma Guy, Baby - Gertrude Guy-Smith,
      Velma Tate-Norman, Otis Guy, Audra Guy-Lett,
      Wealthy Guy-Sawyer, Jessie Guy-Jones

      Smyth & Irma Tate-Guy

      Otis, Smyth & Audra Guy-Lett

      Delbert Guy & Erma

      Aldene Guy, Jolene Nelson,
      Leander Guy
      & Leslie Guy

      Moses C. Guy (July 31, 1829) the first son of
      Lloyd and Margaret Caliman-Guy moved with
      his family from Ohio to Montcalm County (MI).

      Moses later came to the Blanchard area where
      he farmed and owned 40 acres of land, including
      the Guy Lake property in Rolland Township (MI).

      Frank "Tasey" Guy was born to Moses C.
      and Mary A. Guy in 1855 in Zanesville, OH.
      He married Lydia Ellen Gui (Aunt Lyd).
      To this union two sons were born:  Clarence and Delbert.
      "Tasey" worked in the lumber woods for Joe Lett during the
      winter months, but he also owned his own farm and worked
      the land located 1-1/2 miles south of his father, Moses' property.
      Like most of the Guy men, Tasey had a good head for
      business and was known for being financially secure.
      It was not uncommon for people to come to Frank for a loan of money.
      Because of his standing in the community, the small lake on
      his father's property was named Guy Lake in honor of Frank.
      Frank and Laura extended their concern to others by the
      care they exhibited to a small child, named Jennie McTice.

      Clarence, the eldest son of Frank and Lydia
      Guy worked as a brakeman for the C&O Railroad.
      He was the first
      African-American person to work for them.
      Clarence died June 1, 1910 in Owosso, MI while working.
      Because of Clarence's physical appearance (red hair,
      blue eyes, fair skin), his brother was not allowed
      to claim his body at the time of death because the
      railroad company didn't believe he was 'of-black-descent'.
      Del returned home without his brother's body,
      and a neighbor was sent to claim the body.

      Clarence never married.

      Delbert Guy, the second child of Frank and
      Lydia Ellen Guy, was born January 2, 1879.
      He attended the Beard School located
      across the road from his father's property.
      Del married Elva Mae Segee at the Isabella County
      Seat in Mt. Pleasant, MI. (SEE JOHN SEGEE).

      Mecosta County Guys

      James Guy

      Douglas Guy
      Son of James Guy
      (Mecosta County)

      Catherine Guy
      Daughter of James Guy
      (Mecosta County)

      Lydia Guy-Tate
      Daughter of Jim Guy
      Mother of Del Guy
      Sister of Martha Guy-Scott

      Axel Guy

      Robert & Martha (Guy) Scott

      Minerva & Catherine Guy

      According to The Old SettlersA Nation Within Itself (1988)
      from early recorded records it is learned that James Guy was
      born in Ohio on April 22, 1822, and from the census of 1880,
      we learn that both of his parents Andrew and Martha
      Beard-Guy were likewise born in Zanesville, Ohio.
      James (Jim) Guy, wife and family migrated to Michigan in the early
      spring of 1861 taking advantage of the Homestead Act of Michigan.
      When Jim obtained his property in Mecosta County, Michigan, 160
      acres--the deed was signed by President Abraham Lincoln in 1861.

      Jim Guy was married twice.
      His first wife was Ann Mariah (Caliman) Guy, whom he married in Ohio.
      To this union five children were born:
      Oran 1846-1872; Benjamin Franklin 1848; Martha 1851-1925;
      Minerva Ann 1856; Douglas 1860, and Leander 1864.
      Ann Mariah died not too long after the
      birth of her last child, and Jim remarried.

      His new wife was Francis Norman, daughter
      of Granderson and Susan (Cook) Norman.
      He and Francis had Leonard 1866-1938; Catherine 1868-1947;
      James Granderson 1870-1949; Arthur 1871-1875; George
      Washington 1872-1950; John William 1874-1949;
      Susan Emily, 1876-1963, Emmet 1876-1877, Amelia
      1878, Ellen, Elizabeth, and twins Mary and Ann.

      He died October 17, 1896 in Mecosta County, Michigan.
      According to his obituary, he had just read Chapter 5,
      of the Letter of Paul to the Romans and fell asleep.
      The same letter was used at his funeral.
      His second wife, Francis (Norman) Guy died February 12, 1927.

      SOURCE:
      http://www.oldsettlersreunion.com/james_guy_family.htm
      Pictures Courtesy of Arlo Guy & Tyrone Guy
      http://www.oldsettlersreunion.com/mecosta_county_guys.htm
      http://www.oldsettlersreunion.com/john_tate.htm
      http://www.oldsettlersreunion.com/merze_tate.htm
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2007
        Just wanted to say, "Thanks!" for all the Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland info.
        My biological family (including decendants) are from these areas, and I've read some great
        things and found some very useful info. in these posts! Interesting!!! Thanks, again=) Heather

        Related Link:
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2007
          going on that website I saw a Stevens family from Ohio which is my grandmother's
          surname who was from Cincinatti - makes me wonder if we're related.

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 2447

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2007
            You know ... the way I see it ... we're ALL related somehow =) =) =)
            I'm a very spiritual person, so that's the way I see it, anyway! Interesting!!! Heather