Vision Issues & Amerindian Lineage

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2007

      Study Helps Prevent

      Vision Problems in

      Young Native Americans

      BY VICKI B. GAUBECA

      any Native American children have an improved
      chance for better vision thanks to the joint efforts of the
      University of Arizona Health Sciences Center's Department
      of Ophthalmology and sponsorship by the Tohono
      O'Odham Nation and the Indian Health Service.

      UA researchers have found that as many as one-third of
      the children in the Tohono O'Odham Nation, a Native
      American tribe in Southwestern Arizona, need glasses,
      and one in eight has amblyopia or "lazy eye,"
      a condition in which a person with a healthy, normal
      eye cannot see well, even when wearing glasses.

      Amblyopia may be caused by crossed or misaligned
      eyes or by a need for corrective eyeglasses.

      Without a focused image on the retina between birth
      and 7 years of age, vision development is interrupted
      and children may suffer from irreversible eye damage.

      Preventing amblyopia is as simple as making an
      early diagnosis and wearing corrective eyeglasses.

      "For unknown reasons, many Native American tribes
      are found to have high levels of astigmatism
      ," explains
      Joseph M. Miller, M. D., associate professor in the
      UA Department of Ophthalmology and principal
      investigator for a study to determine the best
      way to identify preschool children at risk.

      The study is funded by the National Eye Institute,
      part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

      "Unfortunately, if children who need glasses
      because of astigmatism do not wear these
      before the age of 7, amblyopia can develop."

      AJPH

      Causes of Visual Impairment and

      Common Eye Problems in Northwest

      American Indians and Alaska Natives

      Objectives.

      Little information exists regarding the causes of vi
      sual impairment and the
      most common eye problems in American Indians/Alaska Natives
      .

      Methods.

      We randomly sampled American Indians/Alaska Natives

      older than 40 years from 3 tribes within the Northwest region.

      Results.

      We found
      a higher prevalence of visual impairment
      and normal-tension glaucoma
      , as well as a lower
      prevalence of ocular hypertension, in American Indians/Alaska
      Natives compared with previous results in other racial/ethnic groups.

      Conclusions.

      American Indians/Alaska Natives have a need for vision correction.
      Future interventions in American Indians/Alaska Natives should
      include providing spectacles
      for refractive error, detecting
      glaucoma, and preventing visual impairment from
      age-related maculopathy and cataracts
      .

      SOURCE:
      http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/abstract/95/5/881?ck=nck
      http://www.opa.medicine.arizona.edu/ahsnews/may98/vision.htm
      http://www.opa.medicine.arizona.edu/horizons/2000/vision.htm
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 30, 2007
        Something else I didn't know! I wonder why it is, though,
        that there is a higher incidence of astigmatism in
        these groups, as opposed to others?! Hmmmm. Curious.....

        Related Link: