Article on the 'Black Dutch' & 'Black Irish'

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2007

      (Article)

      "So you were told you were
      Black Dutch or Black Irish"

      Photo is of an anonymous group of Mixed-Race people.

      by Pitter Seabaugh

      I got a call last week from my cousin Mike Ladd.
      We are both researching the name Ladd.
      He asked me if I had ever heard that the
      Ladds were of Black Dutch ancestry.
      I told him no but that I had
      heard they were Black Irish.

      I got to thinking about it and thought it might be
      of interest as to how the terms were borrowed,
      by Native Americans, to avoid persecution.

      The following is a quotation displayed on the
      Museum wall of "The Oakville Mounds
      Park & Museum" in Moulton , Alabama .

      Before the Indian Removal Act in 1830,
      many of Lawrence County 's Cherokee people
      were already Mixed with White
      settlers
      and
      stayed in
      the country of the Warrior Mountains .

      They denied their ancestry and basically lived
      much of their lives in fear of being sent West.

      Full bloods claimed to be Black-Irish
      or Black-Dutch, --- thus denying
      their rightful Indian blood.

      After being fully assimilated into the general
      population years later, these
      Irish Cherokee
      Mixed-Blood
      descendents, began reclaiming
      their Indian heritage in the land of the Warrior
      Mountains, Lawrence County, Alabama …

      According to Jane Week, Executive Director of the
      Alabama Indian Affairs, for hundreds of years
      the Indian community has interacted with the
      European communities, who had come
      to this new and wonderful country.

      Through intermarriage many of our
      people are not likely to "look Indian".

      Their blood quantum has diminished, but it
      does not diminish their ethnic pride or rights.

      It was reported in `The Chronological History
      of the Lumbee', 1865-1885
      , that times were
      hard for the Lumbee whose main source
      of income was in the turpentine industry.

      Cut out of work and with families to feed,
      many found it necessary to leave the area
      within the next ten years to seek work in
      the turpentine industry in other states.

      Some families found success.

      Their stories were reported back to
      members of their Robeson County relatives.

      Others learn that their absent relatives have
      been subjected to horrible mistreatment
      in other states, even some murdered.

      Many return, but those who remain in
      other states have had to "pass" for
      White to protect their families.

      They came home only for infrequent
      visits with parents and siblings.

      As the years went by, some did not allow
      their descendants to have any information
      about their American Indian bloodlines.

      They "passed" the family off as Black-Dutch,
      Black-Irish, Portuguese, French, Spanish,
      Italian or anything that the family elders
      felt could not and would not be checked out
      by the White people in their new community."

      In my research of trying to find out just what a
      Black-Dutch or Black-Irish was, I found that
      some have associated them with the Melungeon.

      The Melungeons live mostly
      in the Appalachian Mountains ...

      They later intermarried with Powhatan,
      Pamunkey, Chickahominy, and Catawba Indians.

      These two groups combined later, settled
      in the Appalachians , and with further
      intermarriages with the Cherokees …

      Today, Melungeon descendants can be
      found among all "racial" and `Ethnic' groups.

      Like the Cherokee, these people were not out to
      advertise the fact that they were Melungeon,
      rather they were trying their best to hide it.

      There are also many Melungeon roots
      in southeastern Kentucky families.

      Melungeon [and many other Mixed-Race
      lineage] families had to hide their heritage.

      "Free Persons of Color" laws, were used to take
      their land and bar them from courts and schools.

      There are family stories of being
      Black-Dutch, and being Cherokee.

      Many of these families just
      seem to show up with no past.

      The Cherokee was type cast early in the
      White history of this country … they just
      assumed we were [all] Mixed with the Whites.

      The Cherokee actually had complexions
      that ranged in a variety of skin colors.

      These ranged from very light to very dark …

      They drove many of our people off
      their lands because of the darker skin.

      Many would not leave.
      They hid out in the woods
      and in the mountains.

      Many were forced to live as
      "white" citizens just for survival.

      Most lost their Cherokee heritage.

      Very few were able to hang onto them.

      Until 1909 they could not vote or hold office.

      They drove away or forced many onto Indian territory .

      This forced our people into hiding, and making it
      better to be "Black-Dutch, Black-Irish" or `anything
      that was dark' --- than to be an American Indian

      SOURCE:
      http://www.rosecity.net/cherokee/blackdutch.html
      http://www.geocities.com/mikenassau/BlackDutch.htm
      http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~hornbeck/blkdutch.htm