Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Good Morning

  • john
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      I hate percentages because you cannot measure the amount of mixness in a mixed person.The only way you can measure percentages is if one of your parent is 100%pure race and the other another 100% pure race.Back to the question,I am mgm and I always have to explain my linage.When I say I'm mixed,I try to say I'm of mixed ancestry so people won't get it confused of being biracial.Then I break my linage down.That's why I keep my linage simple white scottish and black jamaican with out getting into percentages.

      That's a really excellent question.

      In fact, when I visited Europe several years
      back, I also noticed something very similar
      in the contract in their entire attitude
      toward accepting the fact that another
      person was / is mixed raced.

      Perhaps the difference is due to the fact that
      in the US, so many people have been brainwashed
      into passive-acceptance of or tragic-ignorance
      regarding the racist 'one-drop rule(r)' and it's
      (quite often very double-standard) "measurements".

      Also, in the US, it seems that often people
      both have, and occasionally even desire to keep,
      a pre-conceived (and often biased) notion of
      what "the" standard is for a given type of
      mixed person's appearance (ex. hair texture,
      skin hue, facial features, body shape-size,
      and other superficialities) and/or blood
      line chronologies and percentages ----
      particularly when it applies to those who are
      MGM-mixed and/or have any amount of 'black'
      (or other 'dark') admixture in their lineage.

      (MGM='Multi-Generationally Multiracially' Mixed)

      Again -- excellent question !!!

      :D

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "sudoangel2000" <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:

      To everyone :)

      I had a question for everyone:

      Do you find you have to explain yourself still in 2005?

      Meaning, I still find I have to run down the lineage
      for people although nine times out of ten they
      have already made up their minds before hand lol

      This came to mind because I went to Paris in April
      and I found the people refreshingly accepting.
      Maybe this is a US thing.

      What do you think?

    • Brittany Link

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hello Friends,

          I know have an attitude sometimes but this is so funny,
          I had to share ...
          When I first met my mother-in-law, she tried to ambush me.
          She waited until my bf was out of the room then asked me,
          "SO what are you, anyways?" Her exact words, I swear.
          Straight face, no expression.. I replied, "Well a
          little bit of Golden (pause) Retriever. A little bit
          of Black (pause) Lab...you know, really different!"
          She froze. So funny! She didn't know what to say
          ...never asked me again, either.
          I can tell when people are nosy or insincere then I usually say
          something crazy. Once I even told someone I was a test tube baby.
          If a child is asking me, or someone ~ not having an
          obvious agenda, I usually am nicer (and more honest).

          Have a GREAT Day!! Lynn (GraceofWynn)
        • sudoangel2000
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            Thank you everyone for some great responses. I think to travel outside
            of the US opens one's eyes and finally see that we don't have to
            explain ourselves like we do here. In Paris if someone is interested
            they may are your origin but by asking that they want to know what
            country you are from. When I would say America they didn't buy that, I
            found that funny and refreshing at the same time. I'd end up
            saying "Je suis melange" basically I'm all mixed up and the French were
            happy with that answer.

            I didn't have a problem in London as well. In fact no one really asked
            at all.

            It's interesting to find out how other people in other countries may or
            may not view MGM-mixed people.

            I agree that here in the US the bias is well implanted into society.
            I've been other sites were it was a continous debate, okay heated
            sometimes nasty agruement, about what makes a person mixed in the first
            place. Percentages played a big part in those dicussions as well as
            the "one drop law" regardless if the history was explained or not. In
            all reality I don't think people can base anything on percentages etc
            logically I would assume if someone really had a burning need to know
            they who have to be genetically tested. Even still that most likely
            will be biased as well due to the catagorization of people by race in
            the world now.

            I have to say in my oppinion MGM-mixed people et al are the most
            interesting people I know :)
            <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:
            > To everyone :)
            >
            > I had a question for everyone:
            >
            > Do you find you have to explain yourself still in 2005? Meaning, I
            > still find I have to run down the lineage for people although nine
            > times out of ten they have already made up their minds before hand lol
            >
            > This came to mind because I went to Paris in April and I found the
            > people refreshingly accepting. Maybe this is a US thing.
            >
            > What do you think?
          • Almond Eyez
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
              I'm mixed vietnamese and black.
              And I do get questioned in fact just last week someone asked me if I
              was mixed and I said yea why?
              They say I have 'those asian eyes'.

              *sigh, I've heard how being mixed in Europe "is not a big deal" and I
              wish Americans could have the same concept.

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                You know, if you guys keep mentioning your mixes and
                the male/female ratio continues we'll need to start a
                sister group for mixed dating. ;)

                Hmmm - now that I mention it....

                --- Almond Eyez <cocoalatte91@...> wrote:

                > I'm mixed vietnamese and black.
                > And I do get questioned in fact just last week
                > someone asked me if I
                > was mixed and I said yea why?
                > They say I have 'those asian eyes'.
                >
                > *sigh, I've heard how being mixed in Europe "is not
                > a big deal" and I
                > wish Americans could have the same concept.
                >

                > --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                > "sudoangel2000"
                > <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:
                > > To everyone :)
                > >
                > > I had a question for everyone:
                > >
                > > Do you find you have to explain yourself still in
                > 2005? Meaning, I
                > > still find I have to run down the lineage for
                > people although nine
                > > times out of ten they have already made up their
                > minds before hand lol
                > >
                > > This came to mind because I went to Paris in April
                > and I found the
                > > people refreshingly accepting. Maybe this is a US
                > thing.
                > >
                > > What do you think?

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Brittany Link
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                  well in america we are just now accepting that people can be mixed, before people we just clumped into being what the colored half was.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                    Actually Jeff -- I think that a group designed for
                    "multi-racial socializing" (whether for dating or
                    general events) sounds like a pretty cool idea!! :D

                    Maybe you could consider even initiating such
                    a group and seeing how it goes -- as I think
                    that many mixed-people (including those who
                    are members here) might be very interested. : )

                    (The only thing is ... that it would probably take
                    a lot of time to handle the moderating in order to
                    prevent trollers and other such troublemakers from
                    purposely trying to post offensive material, etc.).

                    Just a thought. :D

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                      I can see plenty of potential headches there, but it
                      does sound appealing. I could be the high yella
                      Hefner.;P

                      But seriously, I do generally prefer to date mixed
                      women simply because I feel like I'd have more in
                      common with them and they'd have a better
                      understanding of who I am. I also feel like there is a
                      greater openmindedness to other cultures, ideas and
                      beliefs.

                      Unless they've been brainwashed by the militant
                      one-droppers.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                        Well ...let's see ... 'Jeff' does rhyme well with
                        "Hef" ... so ... it could very well be a 'sign'. ;)

                        Also - I understand what you are saying in
                        regards to feeling somewhat more compatible
                        with dating another 'multi'-racial individual
                        rather than someone who is or considers
                        themself to be a 'mono'-racial.

                        Often those who are unfamilar with the
                        whole idea of embracing your 'multi'-racial
                        heritage mistakenly think that you are
                        trying to deny or downplay one part of
                        your lineage in favor of another rather
                        than simply embracing all of who you are.

                        Your idea of a social / dating group
                        could offer an option for others who
                        are interested in meeting people who
                        understand their experiences and support
                        their embracing of their full heritage.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                          Of course it could be like fishing off the company
                          pier too ;)

                          http://mail.yahoo.com