Mixed Heritage Artist Explores interracial marriage history

  • dariotis@sfsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2007
      Hi Folks,

      I wanted to let you all know about a
      great play being staged in San Francisco
      March 3rd and March 4th.

      It is a one woman show by Brenda Wong Aoki
      (Japanese, Chinese and Scottish), with musical
      accopmaniment by her husband, jazz musician Mark Izu.

      "Uncle Gunjiro's Girlfriend" is about Aoki's
      family history and her personal search for
      the truth behind the big family secret:

      her great-uncle, Gunjiro Aoki, was hounded by
      the California press when he fell in love with
      Miss Emery, daughter of a Bay Area Archbishop.

      It was illegal for Chinese to marry Whites
      in 1906, but Japanese were not on the books
      until their marriage plans became public.
      Then, the California State legislature quickly
      added Japanese to the "no marry" list.
      Mr. Aoki and Ms. Emery had to travel to several
      states before they were allowed to marry.

      The play, which I saw performed several years ago
      and have never been able to get out of my mind,
      chronicles Brenda Wong Aoki's personal search
      for the meaning of this family history.

      She's an amazing, riveting performer and
      I can't wait to see the play again.

      If you are in SF and want to catch it too,
      call 415-292-1233 for reservations
      or contact First Voice at 415 221-0601.

      This is a show not to be missed!

      best,