Re: LIGHT SKINNED DARK SKINNED GOOD

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2007
      Hi! Although I am considered by most to be "caucasian," I know where you're coming from. Your sister sounds a lot like members of my biological family. They have these ancient notions and ideas that are just so ridiculous, I have just come to ignore them. Actually, I've chosen not to even deal with them (not because of this, though). That said... I remember, when we lived in MD, my girlfriend, Keisha- her daughter was very light-skinned as well and, from the time she was in the 1st grade, she got all sorts of HATE. It was terrible! The little, darker-skinned "black" girls would call her all sorts of mean and nasty names and she'd come home from school, daily, in tears. It was awful. Then, when she was a teenager, the girls were just as mean... this time, because she's just so, darned pretty=) That, and the boys just love her to death=) Jealousy. That's all it was. It's sad, though. Now, I've lived the same thing with my son, Alex. He's just as cute as can be (I'm not partial or anything=), a teenager and the girls like him, too. The thing is... where we live, it's not very culturally diverse, so- the people he tends to have "problems" with are the "whites." He fits in very well with the "blacks" here, just because (in mom's humble opinion) they are the "minority" and HAVE TO stick together. That's just how it is... as long as there are racist, ignorant people in the world. That said, Alex tends to make friends with whomever wants to be his friend. He could care less what color, race, religion, etc. they are. That's the way I raised him to be. People have their own opinions and thoughts based, primarily, on history and what they have/have not been taught growing up. That's the sad part. Many children's parents don't care enough to teach them about things like race, sex, drugs and alcohol... all those "touchy" subjects. Pitifully, then, these same children grow up to be the adults that we deal with and our children deal with and that make this world such a awful place to live in. They survive... that is all. In my humble opinion, a lot of it starts at home. I have seen it many, many times: in my own families (both, adoptive and biological), in societies, in school, in public, with my son and everywhere he's been. It's everywhere, and it's up to parents and people like us who want a different, much more open, world to live in. I don't want to get all religious (but, I am who I am=), or anything, but... I can't really see issues like this changing anytime soon, not during this lifetime, anyway. It's sad, but a tough thing to "change." That's why I love and appreciate this group and its members soooooooooo much... because they ARE so open, honest and caring and want to live where people are accepted for WHO they are, NOT WHAT they are! Hope some of this helps!!! Take care! Heather

      Related Link: