RE: Chicago born & raised in mixed family

  • tlbaker
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 9, 2007

      Yes, for now, I think the smell was originating from NJ as a few people were sent to the hospital as they were getting sick. I didn't smell anything personally but a few friends said they smelled the gas or whatever it is.You know what, if I am meant to die of gas or whatever, then that is my karma, I can't worry about it. No one knows what it is; however, they say it is not dangerous as it didn't set off their "smoke detector" or whatever that they have installed at grand central station, penn station, and all of the bridges and tunnels around here.

      L.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 9, 2007
        Hi Yvette,
        am Stephanie and I'm from London.
        Hope u enjoy.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "multiracialbookclub"<soaptalk@...> wrote:

        Hi Yvette,

        Welcome to `Gen-Mixed' !!! :D

        We're happy to have you here and to
        see that you have become a part
        of our community / family. [:)]

        In answer to your question -- although we
        generally do talk about our experiences
        and thoughts as Mixed-Race people -- other
        topics (ex. genealogy, history, recipes,
        current events, health, etc.) have also been
        presented, welcomed and discussed at the group.

        The members here are just great and
        we'd all to hear more from and about
        you and your Mixed-Race family. [=D>]

        Welcome again -- and have a great day!!

        -- M

        "vetter223" <vetter223@> wrote:

        Hi everybody, I just wanted to introduce myself
        to the group and see where everyone is from.

        Does this group only talk about race
        relations, or do other topics come up?

        Yvette
      • Yvette

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 10, 2007
            Hi Folks,

            I'm Wei Ming Dariotis, from San Francisco. Chinese Greek
            Swedish Scottish English German and Pennsylvania Dutch.
            I teach a course on Asian Americans of Mixed Heritage
            at SFSU and I serve on the Board of iPride and I
            used to serve on the Board of Hapa Issues Forum.
            I also helped start FUSION, the summer camp program
            for mixed heritage and transracially adopted kids
            now offered by iPride in the Bay Area every summer.

            I'm particularly interested in the literature, art, and
            culture of people of mixed heritage--how we express our
            experiences, how we create images of ourselves to
            counter both the stereotypes and the invisibility.

            best,

            Wei Ming

            Quoting tlbaker <tlbaker@...>:

            Hi Yvette,

            Welcome, I am Lynne, from NYC.

            L.

            _____

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 10, 2007
              Hi Wei Ming,

              The summer camp you are running sounds awesome.
              I wish there was something like that in
              Chicago when I was growing up....or even now.

              Yvette

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 10, 2007
                Hi, Lynne...
                  They haven't figured out what's causing the odor yet??? That is CRAZY!
                I'd be worried... even if they were saying it's "o.k." and "nothing to worry about!" Heather

                Related Link

              • tlbaker
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 10, 2007

                  Oh well, what can we do, I am still alive, it is all that counts.
                  After 9/11 nothing like this scares me anymore .....There was a
                  bomb scare a few days after 9/11 on Park or 3 avenues near my
                  job, grand central station, etc., all false alarms of course.

                    They haven't figured out what's causing the odor yet??? That is CRAZY!
                  I'd be worried... even if they were saying it's "o.k." and "nothing to worry about!" Heather

                  Related Link

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 2252

                • tlbaker
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 10, 2007

                    Welcome, Wei Ming, keep up the good work!

                    Lynne

                    I'm Wei Ming Dariotis, from San Francisco . Chinese Greek
                    Swedish Scottish English German and Pennsylvania Dutch.
                    I teach a course on Asian Americans of Mixed Heritage
                    at SFSU and I serve on the Board of iPride and I
                    used to serve on the Board of Hapa Issues Forum.
                    I also helped start FUSION, the summer camp program
                    for mixed heritage and transracially adopted kids
                    now offered by iPride in the Bay Area every summer.

                    I'm particularly interested in the literature, art, and
                    culture of people of mixed heritage--how we express our
                    experiences, how we create images of ourselves to
                    counter both the stereotypes and the invisibility.

                    best,

                    Wei Ming

                    Quoting tlbaker <tlbaker@nyc. rr.com>:

                    Hi Yvette,

                    Welcome, I am Lynne, from NYC.

                    L.

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                      I am also born and raised in Chicago.

                      Fiona Loughrey

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 14, 2007
                        Yeah... when you put it that way- it sure does put things in
                        perspective!!! We were living in B'more during 9/11 and I'll
                        tell you what... I have never been more afraid in my entire life!
                        I was ready to pack up everything and go back home (Ohio)! Scary!!!

                        Related Link:
                      • tlbaker
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 15, 2007

                          Unfortunately, with this type of thing, there is no where
                          to run as we do not know which city they will hit next.

                          L.

                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 2287