Re: Information on the 'Cane River' Creoles of Louisiana

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2006
      Yes --  Heather -- you are exactly right !!!! :)

      There is a very popular (Oprah's Book Club List)
      book out that is called 'Cane River' and it
      was written by author, '
      Lalita Tademy'.

      Listed below is a review / summary of the book.

      Lalita Tademy's riveting family saga chronicles
      four generations of women born into slavery
      along the
      Cane River in Louisiana.

      It is also a tale about the blurring of racial boundaries:
      great-grandmother Elisabeth notices an unmistakable
      "bleaching of the line" as first her daughter
      Suzette, then her granddaughter Philomene,
      and finally her great-granddaughter Emily
      are 'forcibly' "persuaded" to continue to bear
      the offspring of the area's White French planters.

      However, neither state law nor local custom allows the
      children to inherit (or even lay claim to the) wealth or
      property (that would ordinarily and rightfully be theirs),
      a fact that gives Cane River much of its narrative drive.

      In the wake of a visit from the 1880 Census taker,
      the aged Elisabeth reflects on how far they had come.

      When the Census taker looked at them, he saw `Colored'
      first, asking questions like single or married, trying
      to introduce "shame" where there was none.

      He took what he saw and foolishly put those
      things down on a list for others to study.

      In her introduction, Tademy explains that as a young
      woman, she failed to appreciate the love and reverence
      with which her mother and her four uncles spoke of their
      lively Grandma 'Tite (short for "Mademoiselle Petite").

      But the old stories haunted the author, and
      armed with a couple of pages of history
      compiled by a distant Louisiana cousin,
      she began to piece together a genealogy.

      The result … Tademy eventually left her position as
      vice president of a Fortune 500 company and set
      to work on Cane River , in which she has deftly and
      movingly reconstructed the world of her ancestors.

      [Excerpt from ` Regina Marler's' Editorial Review]

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:

      Just a question: Isn't "Cane River" a book
      (one of Oprah's book club selections)?
      I recall a book with this title, several years or so ago.
      I ended up buying the book myself, but never read it.
      Maybe I'll have to check it out, at the library, now! Heather

      Related Link:

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
        Thought so! Thanks=) Now I know I have to get the book!!! Heather

        Related Links: