Re: Information on the 'Cane River' Creoles of Louisiana

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2006
      Just a question: Isn't "Cane River" a book
      (one of Oprah's book club selections)?
      I recall a book with this title, several years or so ago.
      I ended up buying the book myself, but never read it.
      Maybe I'll have to check it out, at the library, now! Heather

      Related Link:
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 26, 2006
        Yes --  Heather -- you are exactly right !!!! :)

        There is a very popular (Oprah's Book Club List)
        book out that is called 'Cane River' and it
        was written by author, '
        Lalita Tademy'.

        Listed below is a review / summary of the book.

        Lalita Tademy's riveting family saga chronicles
        four generations of women born into slavery
        along the
        Cane River in Louisiana.

        It is also a tale about the blurring of racial boundaries:
        great-grandmother Elisabeth notices an unmistakable
        "bleaching of the line" as first her daughter
        Suzette, then her granddaughter Philomene,
        and finally her great-granddaughter Emily
        are 'forcibly' "persuaded" to continue to bear
        the offspring of the area's White French planters.

        However, neither state law nor local custom allows the
        children to inherit (or even lay claim to the) wealth or
        property (that would ordinarily and rightfully be theirs),
        a fact that gives Cane River much of its narrative drive.

        In the wake of a visit from the 1880 Census taker,
        the aged Elisabeth reflects on how far they had come.

        When the Census taker looked at them, he saw `Colored'
        first, asking questions like single or married, trying
        to introduce "shame" where there was none.

        He took what he saw and foolishly put those
        things down on a list for others to study.

        In her introduction, Tademy explains that as a young
        woman, she failed to appreciate the love and reverence
        with which her mother and her four uncles spoke of their
        lively Grandma 'Tite (short for "Mademoiselle Petite").

        But the old stories haunted the author, and
        armed with a couple of pages of history
        compiled by a distant Louisiana cousin,
        she began to piece together a genealogy.

        The result … Tademy eventually left her position as
        vice president of a Fortune 500 company and set
        to work on Cane River , in which she has deftly and
        movingly reconstructed the world of her ancestors.

        [Excerpt from ` Regina Marler's' Editorial Review]

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006
          Thought so! Thanks=) Now I know I have to get the book!!! Heather

          Related Links: