Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Good Morning

  • Brittany Link
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      exactly! I'm on my way to mexico so maybe I'll see what you all are talking about.

      That's a really excellent question.

      In fact, when I visited Europe several years
      back, I also noticed something very similar
      in the contract in their entire attitude
      toward accepting the fact that another
      person was / is mixed raced.

      Perhaps the difference is due to the fact that
      in the US, so many people have been brainwashed
      into passive-acceptance of or tragic-ignorance
      regarding the racist 'one-drop rule(r)' and it's
      (quite often very double-standard) "measurements".

      Also, in the US, it seems that often people
      both have, and occasionally even desire to keep,
      a pre-conceived (and often biased) notion of
      what "the" standard is for a given type of
      mixed person's appearance (ex. hair texture,
      skin hue, facial features, body shape-size,
      and other superficialities) and/or blood
      line chronologies and percentages ----
      particularly when it applies to those who are
      MGM-mixed and/or have any amount of 'black'
      (or other 'dark') admixture in their lineage.

      (MGM='Multi-Generationally Multiracially' Mixed)

      Again -- excellent question !!!

      :D

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "sudoangel2000" <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:

      To everyone :)

      I had a question for everyone:

      Do you find you have to explain yourself still in 2005?

      Meaning, I still find I have to run down the lineage
      for people although nine times out of ten they
      have already made up their minds before hand lol

      This came to mind because I went to Paris in April
      and I found the people refreshingly accepting.
      Maybe this is a US thing.

      What do you think?

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • john

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            Hello Friends,

            I know have an attitude sometimes but this is so funny,
            I had to share ...
            When I first met my mother-in-law, she tried to ambush me.
            She waited until my bf was out of the room then asked me,
            "SO what are you, anyways?" Her exact words, I swear.
            Straight face, no expression.. I replied, "Well a
            little bit of Golden (pause) Retriever. A little bit
            of Black (pause) Lab...you know, really different!"
            She froze. So funny! She didn't know what to say
            ...never asked me again, either.
            I can tell when people are nosy or insincere then I usually say
            something crazy. Once I even told someone I was a test tube baby.
            If a child is asking me, or someone ~ not having an
            obvious agenda, I usually am nicer (and more honest).

            Have a GREAT Day!! Lynn (GraceofWynn)
          • sudoangel2000
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
              Thank you everyone for some great responses. I think to travel outside
              of the US opens one's eyes and finally see that we don't have to
              explain ourselves like we do here. In Paris if someone is interested
              they may are your origin but by asking that they want to know what
              country you are from. When I would say America they didn't buy that, I
              found that funny and refreshing at the same time. I'd end up
              saying "Je suis melange" basically I'm all mixed up and the French were
              happy with that answer.

              I didn't have a problem in London as well. In fact no one really asked
              at all.

              It's interesting to find out how other people in other countries may or
              may not view MGM-mixed people.

              I agree that here in the US the bias is well implanted into society.
              I've been other sites were it was a continous debate, okay heated
              sometimes nasty agruement, about what makes a person mixed in the first
              place. Percentages played a big part in those dicussions as well as
              the "one drop law" regardless if the history was explained or not. In
              all reality I don't think people can base anything on percentages etc
              logically I would assume if someone really had a burning need to know
              they who have to be genetically tested. Even still that most likely
              will be biased as well due to the catagorization of people by race in
              the world now.

              I have to say in my oppinion MGM-mixed people et al are the most
              interesting people I know :)
              <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:
              > To everyone :)
              >
              > I had a question for everyone:
              >
              > Do you find you have to explain yourself still in 2005? Meaning, I
              > still find I have to run down the lineage for people although nine
              > times out of ten they have already made up their minds before hand lol
              >
              > This came to mind because I went to Paris in April and I found the
              > people refreshingly accepting. Maybe this is a US thing.
              >
              > What do you think?
            • Almond Eyez
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                I'm mixed vietnamese and black.
                And I do get questioned in fact just last week someone asked me if I
                was mixed and I said yea why?
                They say I have 'those asian eyes'.

                *sigh, I've heard how being mixed in Europe "is not a big deal" and I
                wish Americans could have the same concept.

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                  You know, if you guys keep mentioning your mixes and
                  the male/female ratio continues we'll need to start a
                  sister group for mixed dating. ;)

                  Hmmm - now that I mention it....

                  --- Almond Eyez <cocoalatte91@...> wrote:

                  > I'm mixed vietnamese and black.
                  > And I do get questioned in fact just last week
                  > someone asked me if I
                  > was mixed and I said yea why?
                  > They say I have 'those asian eyes'.
                  >
                  > *sigh, I've heard how being mixed in Europe "is not
                  > a big deal" and I
                  > wish Americans could have the same concept.
                  >

                  > --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                  > "sudoangel2000"
                  > <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:
                  > > To everyone :)
                  > >
                  > > I had a question for everyone:
                  > >
                  > > Do you find you have to explain yourself still in
                  > 2005? Meaning, I
                  > > still find I have to run down the lineage for
                  > people although nine
                  > > times out of ten they have already made up their
                  > minds before hand lol
                  > >
                  > > This came to mind because I went to Paris in April
                  > and I found the
                  > > people refreshingly accepting. Maybe this is a US
                  > thing.
                  > >
                  > > What do you think?

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Brittany Link
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                    well in america we are just now accepting that people can be mixed, before people we just clumped into being what the colored half was.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                      Actually Jeff -- I think that a group designed for
                      "multi-racial socializing" (whether for dating or
                      general events) sounds like a pretty cool idea!! :D

                      Maybe you could consider even initiating such
                      a group and seeing how it goes -- as I think
                      that many mixed-people (including those who
                      are members here) might be very interested. : )

                      (The only thing is ... that it would probably take
                      a lot of time to handle the moderating in order to
                      prevent trollers and other such troublemakers from
                      purposely trying to post offensive material, etc.).

                      Just a thought. :D

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                        I can see plenty of potential headches there, but it
                        does sound appealing. I could be the high yella
                        Hefner.;P

                        But seriously, I do generally prefer to date mixed
                        women simply because I feel like I'd have more in
                        common with them and they'd have a better
                        understanding of who I am. I also feel like there is a
                        greater openmindedness to other cultures, ideas and
                        beliefs.

                        Unless they've been brainwashed by the militant
                        one-droppers.

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                          Well ...let's see ... 'Jeff' does rhyme well with
                          "Hef" ... so ... it could very well be a 'sign'. ;)

                          Also - I understand what you are saying in
                          regards to feeling somewhat more compatible
                          with dating another 'multi'-racial individual
                          rather than someone who is or considers
                          themself to be a 'mono'-racial.

                          Often those who are unfamilar with the
                          whole idea of embracing your 'multi'-racial
                          heritage mistakenly think that you are
                          trying to deny or downplay one part of
                          your lineage in favor of another rather
                          than simply embracing all of who you are.

                          Your idea of a social / dating group
                          could offer an option for others who
                          are interested in meeting people who
                          understand their experiences and support
                          their embracing of their full heritage.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
                            Of course it could be like fishing off the company
                            pier too ;)

                            http://mail.yahoo.com