Re: [Generation-Mixed] Good Morning

  • Brittany Link
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1 10:07 AM
      it's probley a US thing. We here had the one drop rule and that stilll affects the way alot of us think.

      sudoangel2000 <sudoangel2000@...> wrote:
      To everyone :)

      I had a question for everyone:

      Do you find you have to explain yourself still in 2005?  Meaning, I
      still find I have to run down the lineage for people although nine
      times out of ten they have already made up their minds before hand lol

      This came to mind because I went to Paris in April and I found the
      people refreshingly accepting.  Maybe this is a US thing.

      What do you think?

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Brittany Link
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1 10:08 AM
        exactly! I'm on my way to mexico so maybe I'll see what you all are talking about.

        That's a really excellent question.

        In fact, when I visited Europe several years
        back, I also noticed something very similar
        in the contract in their entire attitude
        toward accepting the fact that another
        person was / is mixed raced.

        Perhaps the difference is due to the fact that
        in the US, so many people have been brainwashed
        into passive-acceptance of or tragic-ignorance
        regarding the racist 'one-drop rule(r)' and it's
        (quite often very double-standard) "measurements".

        Also, in the US, it seems that often people
        both have, and occasionally even desire to keep,
        a pre-conceived (and often biased) notion of
        what "the" standard is for a given type of
        mixed person's appearance (ex. hair texture,
        skin hue, facial features, body shape-size,
        and other superficialities) and/or blood
        line chronologies and percentages ----
        particularly when it applies to those who are
        MGM-mixed and/or have any amount of 'black'
        (or other 'dark') admixture in their lineage.

        (MGM='Multi-Generationally Multiracially' Mixed)

        Again -- excellent question !!!

        :D

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "sudoangel2000" <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:

        To everyone :)

        I had a question for everyone:

        Do you find you have to explain yourself still in 2005?

        Meaning, I still find I have to run down the lineage
        for people although nine times out of ten they
        have already made up their minds before hand lol

        This came to mind because I went to Paris in April
        and I found the people refreshingly accepting.
        Maybe this is a US thing.

        What do you think?

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • john

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1 10:45 AM
              Hello Friends,

              I know have an attitude sometimes but this is so funny,
              I had to share ...
              When I first met my mother-in-law, she tried to ambush me.
              She waited until my bf was out of the room then asked me,
              "SO what are you, anyways?" Her exact words, I swear.
              Straight face, no expression.. I replied, "Well a
              little bit of Golden (pause) Retriever. A little bit
              of Black (pause) Lab...you know, really different!"
              She froze. So funny! She didn't know what to say
              ...never asked me again, either.
              I can tell when people are nosy or insincere then I usually say
              something crazy. Once I even told someone I was a test tube baby.
              If a child is asking me, or someone ~ not having an
              obvious agenda, I usually am nicer (and more honest).

              Have a GREAT Day!! Lynn (GraceofWynn)
            • sudoangel2000
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1 11:00 AM
                Thank you everyone for some great responses. I think to travel outside
                of the US opens one's eyes and finally see that we don't have to
                explain ourselves like we do here. In Paris if someone is interested
                they may are your origin but by asking that they want to know what
                country you are from. When I would say America they didn't buy that, I
                found that funny and refreshing at the same time. I'd end up
                saying "Je suis melange" basically I'm all mixed up and the French were
                happy with that answer.

                I didn't have a problem in London as well. In fact no one really asked
                at all.

                It's interesting to find out how other people in other countries may or
                may not view MGM-mixed people.

                I agree that here in the US the bias is well implanted into society.
                I've been other sites were it was a continous debate, okay heated
                sometimes nasty agruement, about what makes a person mixed in the first
                place. Percentages played a big part in those dicussions as well as
                the "one drop law" regardless if the history was explained or not. In
                all reality I don't think people can base anything on percentages etc
                logically I would assume if someone really had a burning need to know
                they who have to be genetically tested. Even still that most likely
                will be biased as well due to the catagorization of people by race in
                the world now.

                I have to say in my oppinion MGM-mixed people et al are the most
                interesting people I know :)
                <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:
                > To everyone :)
                >
                > I had a question for everyone:
                >
                > Do you find you have to explain yourself still in 2005? Meaning, I
                > still find I have to run down the lineage for people although nine
                > times out of ten they have already made up their minds before hand lol
                >
                > This came to mind because I went to Paris in April and I found the
                > people refreshingly accepting. Maybe this is a US thing.
                >
                > What do you think?
              • Almond Eyez
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1 3:17 PM
                  I'm mixed vietnamese and black.
                  And I do get questioned in fact just last week someone asked me if I
                  was mixed and I said yea why?
                  They say I have 'those asian eyes'.

                  *sigh, I've heard how being mixed in Europe "is not a big deal" and I
                  wish Americans could have the same concept.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1 3:51 PM
                    You know, if you guys keep mentioning your mixes and
                    the male/female ratio continues we'll need to start a
                    sister group for mixed dating. ;)

                    Hmmm - now that I mention it....

                    --- Almond Eyez <cocoalatte91@...> wrote:

                    > I'm mixed vietnamese and black.
                    > And I do get questioned in fact just last week
                    > someone asked me if I
                    > was mixed and I said yea why?
                    > They say I have 'those asian eyes'.
                    >
                    > *sigh, I've heard how being mixed in Europe "is not
                    > a big deal" and I
                    > wish Americans could have the same concept.
                    >

                    > --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
                    > "sudoangel2000"
                    > <sudoangel2000@y...> wrote:
                    > > To everyone :)
                    > >
                    > > I had a question for everyone:
                    > >
                    > > Do you find you have to explain yourself still in
                    > 2005? Meaning, I
                    > > still find I have to run down the lineage for
                    > people although nine
                    > > times out of ten they have already made up their
                    > minds before hand lol
                    > >
                    > > This came to mind because I went to Paris in April
                    > and I found the
                    > > people refreshingly accepting. Maybe this is a US
                    > thing.
                    > >
                    > > What do you think?

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Brittany Link
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1 4:04 PM
                      well in america we are just now accepting that people can be mixed, before people we just clumped into being what the colored half was.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1 4:22 PM
                        Actually Jeff -- I think that a group designed for
                        "multi-racial socializing" (whether for dating or
                        general events) sounds like a pretty cool idea!! :D

                        Maybe you could consider even initiating such
                        a group and seeing how it goes -- as I think
                        that many mixed-people (including those who
                        are members here) might be very interested. : )

                        (The only thing is ... that it would probably take
                        a lot of time to handle the moderating in order to
                        prevent trollers and other such troublemakers from
                        purposely trying to post offensive material, etc.).

                        Just a thought. :D

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1 4:47 PM
                          I can see plenty of potential headches there, but it
                          does sound appealing. I could be the high yella
                          Hefner.;P

                          But seriously, I do generally prefer to date mixed
                          women simply because I feel like I'd have more in
                          common with them and they'd have a better
                          understanding of who I am. I also feel like there is a
                          greater openmindedness to other cultures, ideas and
                          beliefs.

                          Unless they've been brainwashed by the militant
                          one-droppers.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1 5:06 PM
                            Well ...let's see ... 'Jeff' does rhyme well with
                            "Hef" ... so ... it could very well be a 'sign'. ;)

                            Also - I understand what you are saying in
                            regards to feeling somewhat more compatible
                            with dating another 'multi'-racial individual
                            rather than someone who is or considers
                            themself to be a 'mono'-racial.

                            Often those who are unfamilar with the
                            whole idea of embracing your 'multi'-racial
                            heritage mistakenly think that you are
                            trying to deny or downplay one part of
                            your lineage in favor of another rather
                            than simply embracing all of who you are.

                            Your idea of a social / dating group
                            could offer an option for others who
                            are interested in meeting people who
                            understand their experiences and support
                            their embracing of their full heritage.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1 5:27 PM
                              Of course it could be like fishing off the company
                              pier too ;)

                              http://mail.yahoo.com