Adam Clayton Powell Jr., Harlem minister and politician

  • tlbaker477
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2006

      Adam Clayton Powell Jr., Harlem minister and politician .

      November 29

      Adam Clayton
      Powell Jr.
      *This date marks the birth of Adam Clayton Powell Jr., in 1908. He was an African-American minister, publisher, businessman and politician.

      Born in New Haven, Connecticut, Powell moved to New York City where his father developed the Abyssinian Baptist Church. After attending public schools, he graduated from Colgate University and received his M. A. in religious education from Columbia University. During the Depression, while handling business affairs at his fathers’ church, Adam Clayton Powell Jr., established himself as a charismatic and successful civil rights leader.

      He organized mass meetings, rent strikes and public campaigns that forced restaurants, stores, bus lines, utilities, telephone companies, the Harlem hospital and the 1939 Worlds Fair either to hire or begin to promoting black employees. From 1936 to 1944, he published The Peoples Voice Newspaper, served New York State office of Price Administration and the Manhattan Civilian Defense. He was elected to Congress in 1945, serving o the Indian Affairs, Invalid Pensions and Labor Committees. Soon after his arrival in Washington D. C. he challenged the informal regulations forbidding black representatives from using Capitol facilities reserved for members only.

      On the house floor, he clashed immediately with one of the chambers most notorious segregationist, John E. Rankin of Mississippi. Powell attached an anti-discrimination clause to so many pieces of legislation that the rider became known as the Powell Amendment. In 1955, he attended the landmark Bandung Conference of African and Asian nations, returning to urge the Eisenhower administration to pay attention to the emerging third world. The early 60s were productive years for his congressional career. The committee approved over fifty measures authorizing federal programs for areas from minimum wage increases & education & training for the deaf, too student loans & school lunches.

      Because of his many political enemies and a slander judgment against him, the House Democratic Caucus stripped Powell of is committee chairmanship in 1967and would not seat him until completion of an investigation by the Judiciary Committee. A ruling two years later in his favor returned him to his seat in the Ninetieth Congress, but without his seniority. Powell Jr. had extraordinary local support from Harlem residents to the very end of his controversial career. Adam Clayton Powell Jr., unsuccessfully sought re-nomination in 1970, then retired as a minister and died in 1972.

      Lynne

      "The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except for yourself" (my favorite quote) - Rita Mae Brown

    • tlbaker1
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2006

        He was cool, I loved his cocky "I am just
        as good as you, if not better" attitude.
        Unfortunately it got him into trouble
        in congress when he tried to get away
        with the same "monkey business" as his
        white comrads and was removed from
        congress - can't do that even in 2006.

        "Keep the faith, baby!" LOL

        Lynne

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2006

            I love it, I am going to purchase my copy of of "the Button's" sketchbook!

            Lynne

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2006
              I guess I had better print up some copies, huh? ;)