Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Author, Bebe Moore Campbell -- dead at 56

  • Tyrone Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2006
      WOW, what the h*** is going on.  So many beautifully gifted people passing away, that is way too young...

      Makes me consider how much will I have done with my life at 56

      You are so right Lynne!!!

      She was much too young.

      This is so sad.

      She was one of my favorite authors and
      she seemed like such a great person.

       In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      "tlbaker1" <tlbaker1@...> wrote:

      Too young!!!!
      Lynne

      multiracialbookclub <multiracialbookclub @...>wrote:

      Best seller Bebe Moore
      Campbell dead at 56
      Updated 11/27/2006 8:22 PM ET
      Bebe Moore
Campbell, who penned several best-sellers including Brothers and Sisters and What You Owe Me as well as articles for The New York Times and The Washington Post, died Monday. She was 56.
       Enlarge
      By Barbara DuMetz
      Bebe Moore Campbell -- who
      penned several best-sellers
      including Brothers and Sisters
      and What You Owe Me as well
      as articles for The New York
      Times
      and The Washington
      Post --
      died Monday.

      She was 56.
      By Carol Memmott , USA TODAY
      Novelist Bebe Moore Campbell, whose best-selling books
      included Brothers and Sisters, Singing in the Comeback
      Choir
      and Your Blues Ain't Like Mine, died Monday in
      Los Angeles from complications related to brain cancer.

      She was 56.
      "My wife was a phenomenal woman who did
      it her way," her husband, Ellis Gordon Jr.,
      said in a statement released to the media.

      "She loved her family and her career as a writer.
      We enjoyed life together as a team and we will
      miss her immensely and will love her forever."
      Nicholas Latimer, spokesman for
      her publisher, Knopf, said,
      "She will be remembered fondly."
      Campbell , whose books were lauded for their realistic
      depictions of social issues, race relations and family
      dynamics, also wrote about mental illness in her fiction
      and was a well-known advocate for the mentally ill.
      The author, an only child who was
      born and raised in Philadelphia ,
      was motivated by a family member's
      struggles with mental health.
      72 Hour Hold, her most recent adult novel,
      published last year, is about a woman struggling
      to find a treatment for her daughter's bipolar disorder.
      She also dealt with mental health in her award-winning
      2005 children's book Sometimes My Mommy
      Gets Angry
      ,  about a young girl trying to
      understand and deal with her mother's illness.
      Campbell 's last book, Stompin' at the
      Savoy,
      was published in September.

      It's a children's book about a young girl
      who is transported to the famous ballroom
      --- where the jazz greats performed.
      Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

      Posted 11/27/2006 4:19 PM ET
      Updated 11/27/2006 8:22 PM ET

      "Man would rather be a little higher than the apes, than a little lower than the angels." -"I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference. Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark." -Walter White: