Dr. Jean Harris, physician and politician

  • tlbaker477
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2006
      Dr. Jean Harris, physician and politician

      November 24

      Jean Harris

      On this date in 1931
      Dr. Jean Harris was born.
      She was an African-American color politician, physician, and administrator.

      Harris was raised in a second-floor apartment above a drugstore in a segregated neighborhood of Richmond, Virginia. Her family was considered something of a first family within the city's East End, where Jean's father was the neighborhood doctor. Douglas Wilder, the former Virginia governor who was the first black elected to lead any state, used to ride each day to a segregated preschool in Richmond with Harris. "They were more affluent than other families in the ghetto, and Jean's parents were determined that she had the best," Wilder said. The only way out of the ghetto was via the back seat of a streetcar headed downtown.

      "There were drinking fountains for Whites and drinking
      fountains for blacks, and my mother made us drink
      from the White fountains," Harris remembered.
      "She'd stand by us and just glare at anyone who stared at us
      as we drank." Harris' mother also took her children to the
      sandy public beach used by Whites, spurning the designated
      black beach, the one paved with jagged rocks and broken glass.
      And when her children were given used books with tattered
      bindings and scribbles in the margins, Jean's mother
      would castigate the school board and demand new books.

      After graduating from Virginia Union University, Harris
      applied to the Medical College of Virginia, knowing
      that no black student had ever been accepted there.
      For years she was driven by haunting words, words that
      she never heard directly but saw daily in the eyes of
      those who knew her as the only Black student at Virginia
      Commonwealth University's Medical College of Virginia.
      "'You're not good enough,'" Harris remembered recently.
      "Nobody ever said it to me, but I know they were all thinking it."

      In 1951 she became the first black student
      admitted to an all-white school in Virginia.
      "Many of the students had never associated
      with a black person before," she recalled.
      "And those who had were the ones who
      had maids, gardeners and chauffeurs.
      I always felt I had to prove I was good enough."

      Eventually she earned the highest grade
      ever on a neuro-anatomy exam at that time.

      Harris became an internist, married and had three daughters.
      But she never stopped trying to help others who hadn't escaped.
      She became chief of the Bureau of Resources of Development
      in Washington, D. C., which was responsible for
      implementing the Medicaid and welfare programs.
      Under President Lyndon Johnson's administration, she was a
      consultant to the Department of Health, Education and Welfare,
      the U. S. Agency on International Development and to Congress.
      She later became executive director of the National
      Medical Association Foundation, dedicated to
      providing health-care access to inner-city residents.

      Feeling the need to spend more time with her family,
      Harris returned to the Medical College of Virginia,
      becoming the first black faculty member.
      "You can imagine the pressure she was under, but she's
      never had a bitter word about anyone," said Dr. John
      Witherspoon, professor of medicine at the college.

      Harris loved the medical world, but politics seemed a
      better match for her need to reach large numbers of people.
      She accepted positions as co chairwoman of President
      Jimmy Carter's Task Force on Alcoholism and Alcoholic
      Disorders and his Task Force on Private Sector Initiatives.

      Harris was married in 19xx and had three daughters.
      She continued to serve under President Ronald Reagan
      and met William Norris, the former CEO of Control
      Data Corp., who offered her a job as the company's vice
      president for state government affairs in Minnesota.

      He left Control Data and established the Ramsey Foundation,
      and was elected to the Eden Prairie City Council.
      In 1995 she became the cities mayor, a job that
      she called the most satisfying she ever had.

      Jean Harris died on December 14, 2001 at age 70.

      Lynne

      "The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except for yourself" (my favorite quote) - Rita Mae Brown