Lawyer and politician, William T. Francis

  • tlbaker477
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2006
      Lawyer and politician, William T. Francis

      November 28

      William T.
      Francis
      *On his date we mark the birth of William T. Francis in 1869. He was an African-American politician and lawyer.

      Francis was from the state of Indiana coming to Minnesota at an early age. After completing his education, he served in the legal department of Northern Pacific Railroad. Francis opened his own law firm prior to World War II in St. Paul. In 1920, he was president elector at the Republican State Convention. Francis and his wife were instrumental in getting an anti-lynching law passed in the Minnesota State Senate in the 1920s.

      His deep concern about the fate of his people is summed up in these words: “The solution of the whole problem…is simple justice; a recognition of the fact that the rights of the humblest citizen are as worthy of protection as those of the highest.” In 1927, he was appointed U. S. Minister to Liberia, Africa by President Calvin Coolidge. William Francis died there two years later of Yellow Fever.

      Lynne

      "The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you except for yourself" (my favorite quote) - Rita Mae Brown

      Letter by Dorit Lorenz-Heinrich
      Enjoy my work? Join my always list!
      To receive my adult stats: Here
      Font is TW Cen MT