Re: Strange Media Observation

    Message 1 of 53 , Aug 5, 2005
      Agreed --- 100%.

      In fact, as stated earlier, many of the racist and stereotypical
      characters and plots found in these clearly unbearably moronic
      films (as well as the various other forms of media ‘entertainment'
      … including, quite often, the 6:00 news) seem to be based very
      much on any one of the racist stereotypes spoken of in the book:
      ----"TOMS, COONS, MULATTOES, MAMMIES & BUCKS"
      (Note: This book was written by author, Donald Bogle) ---

      Heron Simmonds <heron_bone@y...> wrote:

      I totally agree that Bringing Down the House is
      shameless and shameful, except I am puzzled
      that people find this presentation strange.
      Anti-Black racism is basic to American culture.
      I'll try to fish up an interesting website a
      student of mine gave me on the history of theater.
      In lieu of that documentation let me make a short
      case for the normality of selling black deviancy.

      The American minstrel, the parent of American theater
      was based in racist representations of black people.
      The first uses of film (experimental-Edison and
      polished-Birth of a Nation) are intensely racist.
      Black film making didn't make any significant commercial
      splash in America until Blaxploitation films.
      American politics still follows the racist Southern Strategy.
      And rap musicians, despite (or rather because of)
      their creative intelligence and business acumen,
      know that sex, drugs, and violence is what sells.
      And white audiences seem to enjoy it even
      more when the art depicts blacks doing it. ...

      What is in the center remains bourgeois respectability,
      which remains, by definition, not Black.

      Isn't that what the movie was about?
      You cannot make a ghetto girl respectable.
      If you try to include blacks you are
      liable to bring down your own house.

      Heron-bone aka Professor Unity
      as in Let's B one

      john <reddgold_32@...> wrote:

      I'm glad you bought that up.
      I thought I was the only one who thought that way.
      I always admire queen latifah but I didn't
      like the the movie bring down the house.
      To me she played a stereotypical role and I didn't
      like how the white characters responded to her.
      They even darken her a little to appear more black.
      Have you noticed that too?

      wintyreeve@... wrote:

      Hi Friends,

      The movie that drives me crazy is "Bringing Down the House".
      Queen Latifah was a disgrace!
      When she was rapping, she always presented
      herself as a strong, independant woman.
      I thought she really compromised the message of her music,
      all the work she has done over the years by acting so
      stupid and emulating stereotypes of Blacks in that movie.
      Notice that Halle and Latifah now both have Cover Girl
      contracts, too.
      Steve Martin was shameful too.

      :) Lynn
    • marte
      Message 53 of 53 , Aug 17, 2005
        .......but there was another movie name the underworld. The guy at the end turned half vampire and half werwolf,which made him stronger.

        Brittany Link <babydoll211987@...> wrote:
        they couldnt have vampires of color cause then we'd have sun protection and we'd be killing all day lol, Also for those who are thinking being mixed is 'the best of both worlds crap' I start to think about blade, he was half human half vampire, he had the negative and postive of both. Also another one would be to think about a hermapherdite , half male half female. do they have the best of both worlds?

        sudoangel2000 <sudoangel2000@...> wrote:
        Certainly a movie that sticks with you for that scene alone.

        Romero I would have to give credit to for incorporated people of
        color in his films.  After all, Zombies can be any shade of human
        undead..lol

        Trust me you are not missing anything by not watching "Monster Balls"
        or "Training Day".  You're friend is right the scene in MB is akin to
        the rape scene from Mandigo.

        Notice that Halle gets roles in higher budget movies now.  I think it
        shows in her demeaner that she was pressured or else her career would
        go nowhere. Sad.

        Denzel's role in training day made me want to see him get his a**
        beat, shot, something the role was that obnoxious.  Some will say
        that makes a good actor to cause that kind of reaction in a film.
        Hey I see guys like that everyday in front of the liquor stores. Not
        so special after all.

        Have you noticed that there are not many vampires of color as well.
        Blacula was a joke (I'm a extreme vampire movie fan).  Seems to me
        vampires would not be particular in the person they bite.  Interview
        with the Vampire the people of color got sucked dry.
        --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, "multiracialbookclub"