Endogamy within Mixed-Race groups

    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 8, 2006

      [[[Lynne wrote:

      Then it seems as though there are more
      mixed race people in the south as they
      tend to marry only other mixed race people,
      i.e,my great grandparents and their
      parents before them and so on...
      Not sure if they still do that now.]]]

      My reply:

      Yes -- the Mixed-Race people, families and groups of
      the United States have had a definite a tendency
      toward being Endogamous
      (i.e. they have generally
      only married  / dated within their own group) -----
      at least up until the late 1960's / early 1970s with the
      socio-political pressure placed on them by the rather
      divisive 'Black Power' Movement (which had by then
      replaced the rather unifying 'Civil Rights Movement').
      .

      This tendency toward Endogamy is one reason
      that the MGM-Mixed
      population is often so
      very large among certain Cultural (ex. Latino)
      and Ethnic (ex.
      African-American) groups.

      It usually comes as a surprise to find out for many
      people, however, to discover that, in the United
      States, the largest
      proportion of Mixed-Race
      people are actually located in the Midwestern

      (as well as the Western and Pacific Northwest)
      states -- rather than in the Southern,
      Northern or Eastern coastal states.

      In fact, when people travel through certain of the
      Midwest, Western and Pacific Northwest states,
      they can find themselves rather hard-pressed to
      find a Person-Of-Color who is not (quite openly)
      either an MGM-Mixed or an FGM-Mixed individual.

      In some regions, there are so many MGM-Mixed people
      and so few 'Mono'-Racials who are "Of-Color" that even
      the majority of the FGM-Mixed people in the area
      are actually, in reality, "FGMs-of-MGM-descent".

      http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_multiracial.html

      n historian (who was once on PBS documentary called
      'Pioneer House') noted something to the equivalent that
      --  her studies provided her with an interesting theory
      as to why so many Mixed-Race people (particularly of
      the
      African-American Ethnic grouping) re-located to the
      Midwestern areas and then stayed for so many generations.

      She said that even before slavery ended (and most
      certainly once  slavery came to an end) -- a huge
      number of Mixed-Race people  (as well as the
      Interracial couples) sought refuge and new
      opportunity by way of  "The Homestead Act"
      (where suddenly a person could become a
      landowner simply by being willing to live on
      the land for a number of years as a 'pioneer').

      The opportunity to become a landowner; avoid being
      "racially" terrorized; and simply live as a 'different
      person' -- apparently gave many, if not most of
      these Mixed-Race individuals / Interracial couples
      opportunities that were unheard of for them previously.

      Suddenly -- they were farmers, homeowners, shopkeepers
      and landowners and no one cared 'where' they were from
      or 'who' they were -- and, being a persecuted 'of-color'
      group -- the Amerindians often both related to and
      got along better with them than with the 'White' settlers
      (which is also why so many of these MGM-Mixed / Mixed-Race
      families often have Amerindian ancestry found in their lineage.)

      NOTE:

      MGM-Mixed=Multi-Generationally Mixed
      FGM-Mixed=First-Generationally Mixed
      MGM=Multi-Generationally Mixed
      FGM=First-Generationally Mixed

      Related Links:

      http://www.censusscope.org/us/map_multiracial.html

      http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/families/profile_nate.html
      http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/families/profile_rudy.html
      http://www.pbs.org/wnet/frontierhouse/families/profile_kristen.html

      "tlbaker1" <tlbaker1@...> wrote:

      Then it seems as though there are more
      mixed race people in the south as they tend
      to marry only other mixed race people, i.e,
      my great grandparents and their
      parents before them and so on...
      Not sure if they still do that now.

      Lynne

    • tlbaker
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
        Also, I think in those areas, they tend to
        stand out more as there is less diversity.
        People also may be payning more attention as well.
        Where as places like NY (and surrounding tristate areas, well,
        except for Connecticut, LOLOL) mixed race people might blend
        in a little more as you just assume that they are hispanic
        or some other ethnicity in passing (subway, city block).
        Sometimes I can tell the difference if I am paying attention.

        Lynne

        "tlbaker1" <tlbaker1@...> wrote:

        Then it seems as though there are more
        mixed race people in the south as they tend
        to marry only other mixed race people, i.e,
        my great grandparents and their
        parents before them and so on...
        Not sure if they still do that now.

        Lynne

      • Rodney Sam
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006
          The creoles of Louisiana and South Carolina
          tended to marry amoung themselves only.
          A lot of these habits continued after
          the Civil War into the Civil War.

          For example, my grandmother descended from generations
          of mixed people who intermarried with each other.
          Some of my relatives have kept the cycle going by
          marrying people with similiar backgrounds but a
          lot of them have married black or white as well.
          The features of my family are full of white-looking
          people with blue eyes and sandy brown hair to people
          with strong black features and many variations between.

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006

                Yes, same in my family, my great grandparents did that
                (they believed it was what you were supposed to do,
                there was really no mixed race for generations
                and generations before it just got more white
                at least on my ggrandfather's side.

                Don't know about my ggrandmother she might be more
                of a true mgm, I am checking w/my mother on that.

                We didn't really become "black" until my grandmother;
                all my grandfather's siblings married very
                dark people and they were very fair.

                Lynne

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 9, 2006

                  And interesting about the pioneer posts as well,
                  I was taking an email break at work and was skimming and didn't
                  notice this until now, cool thing for those people back then.

                  Lynne

                  [[[Lynne wrote:

[...]

                  A n historian (who was once on PBS documentary called

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006
                    Thats funny ... Oh, yea ... I do have some nice-looking cousins though
                    (not that I want to date them or anything ... they're just not ugly ...
                    I have one sister whose a senior in high school ... She attracts
                    Mexicans a lot ... which is interesting since she kind of looks like
                    a dominican or could pass for a black-latino ...(thats another story).

                    In regards to my family, there are all colors of the rainbows and
                    variations. I think thats a part of what makes a "black" family
                    beautiful I guess or a creole one a matter of fact. The diversity.
                    But, I have to be careful if I meet a nice-looking creole girl though,
                    because its possible that she could be related to me close or distant.
                  • Rodney Sam
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006
                      Yea, creoles do have an interesting history.
                      I even found out my paternal grandparents shared
                      a common ancestor a couple of generations.
                      It turns out that my paternal grandmother's grandmother,
                      a Mulatto slave named Cidalise Desmarias and my
                      paternal grandfather's great-grandmother,
                      Eloise Jacques, were half-sisters.
                      They had the same mother, a Black slave named
                      Marie Louise Jacques but different fathers.
                      Cidalise's father was a white creole
                      named Jean Baptiste Desmarias ...
                      Eloise's father was a Jamaican or
                      West Indian known only as Jacques.
                    • Rodney Sam
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006
                        Me too.
                        My dad and my aunt and uncles didnt
                        marry other creoles. They married "black".
                        But, a lot of those traits have
                        continued through the third generation.
                        My aunt and cousin are the spinning image of my
                        grandmother, fair-skinned with long jet-black
                        hair and brown eyes and my dad is my grandfather
                        reincarnated, copper-brown skin with
                        curly/wavy hair and funny colored eyes.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 10, 2006

                          I guess opposites attract. I once saw a man about 20 years ago in
                          NC, had that same copper brown skin or could have been more brown
                          skinned w/crystal blue eyes, I think he even had a small afro.
                          And this was way before colored contacts, LOLOLOL, I thought
                          it was the most amazing thing to see on a black person.

                          L.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 11, 2006
                            This is a very interesting conversation.
                            In my family it has been a little different.
                            My Creole side became mixed in the early 19th century.
                            My 3rd great grandmother was Black and
                            had three children with a White Acadian.
                            My great grandfather looks White and may be 3/4 White.
                            He married my great grandmother who dosen't seem to
                            be Creole but of Mixed heritage and very fair as well.
                            My maternal grandfather  who was medium brown with
                            straight hair married my grandmother who was not Creole as well.
                            She was a native Californian and she had a Mulatto father
                            from Indiana and a Black mother from North Carolina.
                            They had my mother and her sister my
                            mother's darker and her sister;s light.
                            My aunt married a man who would not have married
                            a medium brown woman he preferred light skin.
                            They had light children and we were medium to dark brown.

                            My grandfather's sister were very fair but
                            they married very dark men and non Creole.
                            All of my grandfathe'r siblings looked different.
                            One of his brothers had light hair and gray eyes.
                            One brother married twice and married a Creole and a non-creole.

                            My father's side his mother was a dark
                            woman and his father was very fair.
                            Some of his sibliing were light some dark.
                            Even some of my paternal relatives that are clearly
                            Black our DNA goes back to Europe on the paternal line.
                            I look clearly black with wavy hair
                            and my childrenhave differnt ranges.
                            My oldest sons mother is White and my wife
                            is "black" and we have two children.
                            Her mother is 3/4 White and father Black.
                            So there are so many combinations.

                            Since some of my ancestry goes back a ways it
                            seems that my White relatives are 4th cousins.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 13, 2006
                              Beyonce & actress Lynn Whitfield are Creole on their mothers side.
                              And both have incorporated that into their lives

                              Rodney Sam / wrote:

                              The creoles of Louisiana and South Carolina
                              tended to marry amoung themselves only.
                              A lot of these habits continued after
                              the Civil War into the Civil War.

                              For example, my grandmother descended from generations
                              of Mixed people who intermarried with each other.
                              Some of my relatives have kept the cycle going by
                              marrying people with similiar backgrounds but a
                              lot of them have married black or white as well.

                              The features of my family are full of white-looking
                              people with blue eyes and sandy brown hair to people
                              with strong black features and many variations between.

                              "Man would rather be a little higher than the apes, than a little lower than the angels." -"I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference. Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark." -Walter White: