Wentworth Miller on 'being a racial spy'

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2006

      Wentworth Miller ....
      on being a racial spy

      wentworth miller prison break

      Wentworth Miller, star of Fox's Prison
      Break, answered questions in the
      April 10, 2006 issue of TV Guide.

      Inevitably, the issue of race comes up,
      and he responds on what it feels like
      to be a racial spy, since many
      do not know he is Mixed-Race.

      When asked about your race,
      what do you tell people?

      I say I'm of Mixed-Race, and -if- they
      ask for specifics, I rattle off the details:

      My mother is Russian, French, Syrian, Lebanese
      and Dutch; my father is African-American,
      Jamaican, English, German and part Cherokee.

      How difficult was it dealing with racism growing
      up and now trying to find roles in Hollywood
      ?

      I'll find myself standing in the company of someone who
      will make an offhand comment about someone else who
      is clearly "this" or "that," knowing that they haven't
      realized that I may also be "this" or "that."

      They feel free to make that sort of comment in
      front of me, and then I'm faced with the choice of
       "Do I stop the party and start lecturing, --or--
      do I keep quiet and internalize this insult to
      someone who looks like they could be my family?"

      It's a difficult choice, and I'd like to say that I
      always do the right thing, but the fact is it can
      be exhausting trying to educate someone.

      Confronting people can be difficult.

      As for how race has played into my experience
      in the business, it's really difficult to say.

      Obviously I'm not in the room when they're
      talking about my audition tape, so I don't
      know what goes into that process.

      I will say I've been fairly pleased by the
      reaction to my casting in Prison Break,
      which is basically no reaction at all.

      I'm playing a White character.

      There are those who would argue that actors
      of a certain background should not play
      certain parts, and those who would argue
      that those limitations should be challenged.

      I'm not interested in weighing in on that.

      I just want to work.