Re: Gouldtown, NJ: An All-American 'Mixed-Race Community'

  • Rodney Sam
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 4, 2006
      If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that Gouldtown
      was established by a high society White woman and her
      Native American lover who eloped and ran away together.
      Later, there were other members who joined the community.
      Another resident of the area was a White woman who
      married her husbands slave after he was killed
      during the French-Indian war and another White
      woman who fell in love with a free Black man.
      There was also the Pierces, two brothers of
      West Indian descent who were Racially-Mixed
      who in turn married two Scottish sisters.
      I'm going to check where I remember reading this at.
    • tlbaker1
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2006

        Rich Square, NC - this was many years ago when my mother
        was a child up until circa 1975ish (as far as I can remember).
        However, the town was so small and ghost town like the only
        mixed race people I remember seeing were my grandfather's
        family in the spooky old house, LOLOL, I am sure there are
        more people there besides them. Only family members left
        there is my grandfather who lives in NY and my great aunt
        who still lives across the street in the "normal" house
        that I would stay in when we visited 35 years later.
        It was one of those towns you would see on 95 south or
        whatever if you were on your way to a souther state.
        You would pass the cows, corn fields, etc., you could
        have passed that old house on one of your road trips.

        The house was the oldest house in Hertford County, an old
        slave master's house and part of the underground railroad.
        It has since burned down by one of drunk great uncles
        years ago; would have been long condemned by now anyway.
        I remember using the outdoor manual pump to get water, the
        1940-50's car driven into the tree was still there (I just
        now remembered that), wringer washing machine, the pig farm,
        now that I think of it the place was like a time capsule.

        Today, my aunt (mother's sister) has built a house
        on the property and goes down there for vacation.

        L.

        From: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2006
          Hello Everyone,

          Just stopped in cleaning my mail and lo' and behold I see Rich Square N.C.,

          I attended W.S Creecy school there for a short time when my mother moved.
          They lived a little further down the ''road'' a place called [George N.C]
          Actually when you cross the railroad you would enter into another
          tiny town named Woodland N.C. which is called Northampton County

          I was born in an even smaller place of Hertford County called Tunis NC.
          Some of mother's family were and still are in Ahoskie- Winton- Cofield, vicinity.
          Most are her complexion very light some of which are blonde, brunettes and hazel eyes etc..

          Mom is now in Murfreesboro, N.C.

          Actually I have a site I could send to you if you would care to read.[family lived]

          Would take too too long post...

          Hope everyone had a good weekend...

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006

            Hey Philly,

            You mean people actually still live in that town, LOLOL.
            I don't know, I think we are related, remember we
            found the college football player we didn't know
            about in my family. I funny, I suspected I was
            related to him when I saw him on TV, the Boone guy.
            Yes, send me the link - tlbaker1@..., thanks.

            Lynne

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 6, 2006

              OK ... (both Lynne and PhillyMom) :) ... with everything
              you seem to have in common family-wise ... now I
              really, truly am starting to think that you two really
              may perhaps be long-lost cousins (or maybe I
              should say ... "'starting to hope" that you are).;;)

              Seriously though ... it would be so cool -- if
              you two turned out to be related somehow!!!! :D

              Not only would it be "the reuniting of family-ties"
              ... but then the initials of GM could also stand
              for both  'Generation-Mixed' AND for
              'Genealogy-Matched'!!!   LOLOLOL.;)

              Please keep researching ... because now I've got to
              find out if your mothers were like third-cousins or
              half-sisters or something -- that would be great !!=D>

              So ... (for both of you and for anyone else doing
              family genealogical research) ... please keep the
              rest of us posted as we keep 'tuned in' for all
              of your updates on "The Bold and the Blended".:)

              Also ... PhillyMom ... could you send a copy of the
              link to me as well -- and -- if you think it would
              be helpful (or inspirational) for the GM group --
              perhaps consider adding it to our 'Links' page?

              Thanks for sharing and have a great day!!

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 7, 2006

                I hope we are related, what about you Philly???

                Lynne

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 7, 2006
                  I love Family!!!!!!!!!!!

                  That would be grrrrrrreat!!!!!!!!.

                  I told you Lynne [lol].it's possibly more likely than not.
                  Have always found ''our'' history to be interesting,
                  I believe we're all related, somehow
                  some way ,if you just think about it....
                  My daughter and I went to Richsquare
                  when we were home in 03
                  It still has 1 supermarket , but seen some of the
                  most beautiful homes there so the town is thriving ,
                  I think some of these are retiree's [city folk] tired of
                  the hustle and bustle of the city. and the others are
                  older folks that lived their whole lives in the South .
                  Do you have any family there if so ,and you
                  don't mind would you give me their last name?.
                  My mom's maiden name is Copeland ,Weaver- Nickens -
                  Pearce[ Pierce].are few more grandparents names.
                  You remember I knew nothing of mom's father
                  John Copeland.[neither she] had found this article
                  with ggf's name and emailed the owner of the site?,
                  Well he replied and we're related, knew the
                  last name was familiar.[Jones] from the
                  same neighboring town. but don't know him.,
                  His father knows my mother.
                  Well, anyway it's a small, small world
                  [lol].it's pretty late now 2am to be exact..
                  If I don't send the website tonight ... I will send tom
                  By the way, his name is Marvin T.Jones
                  Have wonderful Wed … will stop in tom..

                  From: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com

                  "tlbaker1" <tlbaker1@...> wrote:

                  Hey Philly,
                  You mean people actually still live in that town, LOLOL.
                  I don't know, I think we are related, remember we
                  found the college football player we didn't know
                  about in my family. I funny, I suspected I was
                  related to him when I saw him on TV, the Boone guy.
                  Yes, send me the link - tlbaker1@gmail. com, thanks.

                  Lynne

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 8, 2006

                    I have one great aunt still living across the street from
                    where she was raised longer than I have been alive,
                    Bessie Lee Boone - I can't remember her married
                    name it has been so long. She is in her mid 80's.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006
                      Hello,..I spoke to Mom, she said years ago she
                      worked at J.M.Brown Basket Co,in George N.C.
                      had a co-worker, one 'Bessie Lee Boone', and that
                      Bessie Lee had a brother named Darvin Boone who
                      is now deceased. and by the way my mother's name
                      is "Bessie" Lucille [Copeland] Vaughan. lolol..

                      Have great day

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 9, 2006

                        OMG!!!!!! I think we struck a bit of gold here, LOLOLOL.
                        We are getting close, sista, LOLOL. I have to check about
                        the brother, that is about right, with those southern
                        pronunciations the name sounded more like "Dobbin" to me.
                        He has long since been dead, maybe before I was born
                        who knows, I never knew him or at least remembered him.
                        She had 10 siblings iincluding my grandfather.
                        You should here their nicknames too funny.

                        Lynne

                        From: Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007

                          Gouldtown, New Jersey

                          (located in Cumberland County):

                          An All-American 'Mixed-Race Community'

                          Despite the fact that the article found in the photos listed
                          below refers to it by the archaic and 'One-Droppist' term
                          of -- "Negro" Community" --- it is still a very good article
                          that also makes it abundantly clear that the city of
                          Gouldtown, N.J. was actually an historically very
                          Multi-Racial (not 'Mono'-Racial) American community.

                          :)  So ... for all our members on the East Coast ... maybe someone could investigate to find
                          out more about the history of this Mixed-Race community of people -- and --if you'd
                          recommend arrangement of a Gen-Mixed 'Road Trip' or other event in or near the area.

                          Also -- if you or any of your relatives are from this Town or County --
                          (or any like it) -- can you share with us -- more of what you know?  ;;)

                          The city of GOULDTOWN, N.J. has been referred to as "A Colony of Mulattoes";
                          and traces it's history back more than 250 years; and most of it's residents have been
                          found to be largely the descendants of four Mulatto families that have intermarried
                          for more than 200 years with only an occasional infiltration of other blood.

                          These four families were named Gould, Pierce, Murray , and Cuff.

                          The Goulds are believed to be descendants of John Fenwick,
                          Quaker proprietor of the "Salem Tenth" in West New Jersey, who
                          colonized this region.Elizabeth Adams, a White granddaughter of
                          Fenwick, who inherited 500 acres of land and married a black man
                          named Gould, is considered the founder of Gouldtown.

                          Richard and Anthony Pierce, West Indian Mulattoes, also settled here about 1750.
                          They paid the passage from Holland for white sisters,
                          Maria and Hannah Van Vaca, and married them upon arrival.
                          The Murrays are believed to be of Indian descent; and the original Cuff was a formerly enslaved
                          man who had married the widow of the man who once held him in trapped in chattel slavery.

                          The community stretches for several miles along the highway and nearby dirt roads …

                          A book has been written about Gouldtown, NJ:

                          "The Gouldtown Book" can be purchased at the: Fairfield Township Board of Eduction
                          (Fairton Primary School), Ramah Road, Bridgeton, NJ 08302.
                          Phone number 856-451-4990, ask to speak with 'Carol Gould'.

                          In addition, a film has been made about Gouldtown , NJ :

                          The Film – `Gouldtown: A Mulatto Settlement' --  was directed by
                          Kathleen Collins-Prettyman [a.k.a. -- Kathleen  ( Conway ) Collins (Prettyman)
                          who was a playwright, scriptwriter, filmmaker,
                          director, novelist, short story writer, and educator.

                          Photos are taken from the article entitled
                           `America's Oldest "
                          Negro" Community'
                          "Gouldtown traces it's history back 250
                          years to an Inter-Racial Marriage"

                          'Ebony' magazine / February,  1952 Edition

                          For a view at the individual photographs
                          of Gouldtown, N.J. – click here:
                          http://www.mitsawokett.com/MoorsOfDelaware/Ebony1952-LargeImage.htm

                          More Information about filmmake, Kathleen Conwell –
                          director of the film `
                          Gouldtown: A Mulatto Settlement':

                          Born Kathleen Conwell in Jersey City, she was
                          the daughter of Frank and Loretta Conwell.
                          Her father, who had worked as a mortician, then became the
                          principal of a high school now named after him; and later became
                          the first New Jersey state legislator  who was also
                          a member of the
                          African-American Ethnic grouping.

                          In 1963, after receiving her BA in philosophy and religion from
                          Skidmore College, Collins worked on southern voter registration
                          for the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.

                          In 1966 she earned an MA in French literature and cinema
                          through the Middle-bury program at Paris 's Sorbonne.
                          Joining the editorial and production staff at a New York City Public Broadcasting
                          Service station, Collins worked as a film editor and began writing stories.
                          In 1974, soon after ending her marriage to Douglas Collins, she became a
                          professor of film history and screenwriting at the City College of New York.

                          Adapting Henry H. Roth's fiction for the screen
                          in The Cruz Brothers and Mrs. Malloy (1980),

                          Collins became the first
                          African-Americanwoman to
                          write, direct, and produce a full-length feature film.

                          Her film won first prize at the Sinking Creek Film Festival.

                          Collins's second feature, Losing Ground (1982), directed, co-produced,
                          and based on an original screenplay by her, won Portugal's
                          Figueroa de Foz Film Festival and garnered international acclaim.

                          (Her screenplay, which differs in some significant ways from
                          the film, is included in Screenplays of the
                          African-American
                          Experience, 1991, edited by Phyllis Rauch Klotman.) …

                          While making films, Collins produced equally remarkable drama.

                          In the Midnight Hour (1981) portrayed a middle-class
                          black family at the outset of the Civil Rights Movement.

                          The Brothers (1982) was named one of the twelve outstanding plays
                          of the season by the Theatre Communications Group and published
                          in Margaret B.Wilkerson's Nine Plays by Black Women (1986).

                          It delineates the impact of racism and sexism on a middle-class
                          black family from 1948 to 1968 as articulated by six
                          intelligent, witty, and strikingly different women.

                          The brothers themselves, though never seen, are
                          vibrant presences through the women's remarks.

                          In 1983 Collins reencountered Alfred Prettyman whom she had known
                          twenty years earlier and four years later they were married.

                          One week after their marriage, she learned that she had cancer.

                          At the time of her death, she had completed a new screenplay,
                          Conversations with Julie, her sixth stage play, Waiting for
                          Jane
                          , and a final draft of her novel, Lollie: A Suburban Tale.

                          As more of her work appears, her already fine reputation
                          as filmmaker and playwright will surely rise and be
                          further enhanced by a new reputation in fiction.

                          Timeline of Kathleen Collins-Prettyman's Career:
                          Kathleen Collins was the first African-American
                          woman to make and release a feature film.

                          1971:
                          Kathleen Collins Prettyman completes graduate film studies  at the Sorbonne in France and
                          unsuccessfully shops her  feature-film script, Women, Sisters, and Friends, in Hollywood .

                          1979:

                          Kathleen Collins Prettyman directs
                          The Cruz Brothers and
                          Miss Malloy,
                          a 57-minute film adapted from a short story.

                          1982:
                          Kathleen Collins Prettyman directs her first feature,
                          Losing Ground.

                          1986 / 1988
                          :

                          http://www.mitsawokett.com/MoorsOfDelaware/Ebony1952.htm