The Antelbellum Mulatto/Mixed-Race Population Growth (Explosion)

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2006
      QUOTE:

      Between 1850 and 1860, the Mulatto slave population
      increased by 67 percent --  in contrast -- the Black
      slave population increased by only 20 percent.

      SOURCE:

      Naomi Zack, Race and Mixed Race
      (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 1993).

    • tlbaker1
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2006

        Yes, I remember you posting this Multi, this slave
        /mulatto /multiracial business is indeed a phenomenon.

        Those poor women must have been raped and impregnated repeatedly
        throughout their lives. Different slave owners, various White
        men. And what did the women tell there children about their
        "daddy" and how he became their "daddy". Even in post slavery
        as well, I am sure. If the White man saw a black woman he
        wanted I am sure he just "took" what he wanted from her,
        end of story. There certainly was no "special victims
        unit" in the police department for raped "negro"
        women back then, she just kept it to herself.

        These are indeed Tragic "Mulattos".

        So I guess out of all of this is where
        the Mixed-Race communities (literally in
        one area) were formed --- post slavery.

        As I stated before my mother grew up
        in a town where there were nothing but
        light-skinned, very mixed race people.