Re: [Generation-Mixed] On 'Self-Definition"

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      This is powerful! Thanks for posting ()-:)
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006
        There is however the mentality that “black”/AA is
        also a Culture and Caste, and more than just DNA.

        I s a Beyonce, who grew up in a “black” environment and
        has a “black” identity , “black” forms of cultural expression
        and behavior, Mixed in the same way that a person who grew
        up trying to figure out their place in it all, dealing with
        the self doubt and constant self obsession/inquiry the same?
        I know a lot of Filipinos and they are all different
        shades, and obviously of various degrees of Spanish,
        Malay and Chinese blood, but they never see
        each other as anything other than Filipinos.
        Likewise Hispanics fall into this category for the most part.

        I guess my point is, since the concept of “black”/AA has evolved
        somewhat, and there aren't a lot of genuine quadroons running
        around as much as people who have some White or Indian in
        them from some point (generally anecdotal but not specific)
        but no cultural affiliation to either their White or Indian
        sides, and see themselves as being “black” [socio-politically],
        is it really our place to second guess them and try
        to tell them they are MGMs , Mulattos or whatever?

        Couldn't one almost see it as a ‘denomination’
        or almost ‘political affiliation’ without
        pushing the issue of their Mixed-ness?
        I mean if someone wants to "be black" [socio-politically]
        no matter how pale they are and obviously present euro
        DNA, then I think we should also allow them that right.
        If they can't relate to a Mixed ‘identity’, no matter how
        obvious, then I think their preference should be respected
        as much as ours is to label ourselves as Mixed.

        On 'Self-Definition"

        When finding myself speaking with MGM-Mixed people  who (in reaction
        to intimidation by pressure from the `One-Droppist' – of all "racial"
        combinations – that they have encountered) are going through life
        "passing as a `mono'-racial" ,  I try to inform them of some
        of the following conclusions I have made about life:

        ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's ETHNICITY
        or familial lineage as being Multi-Generational / Multi-Racial
        (MGM) IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
        "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

        ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' one's Multi-Generational /
        Multi-Racial (MGM) heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
        as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
        facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
        of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

        ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Multi-Generational
        / Multi-Racial (MGM) heritage IS actually about acknowledging
        the struggle your ancestors went thru (against their volition)
        and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
        order to pave the way for you to exist.

        ***One can be of an MGM-Mixed ETHNICITY (such as the group
        that today is generally referred to as `African-American' is, for
        example) --- and that ETHNICITY is of `a unique social, cultural,
        racial blending' of individuals and events `whose presence tells
        of the struggle and championing of a proud and strong people'

        ***Those who belong to an MGM-Mixed ETHNIC grouping
        of people 'have just as much a right to acknowledge the
        Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage'– as does
        any other Multi-Generational Multi-Racial (MGM) group
        (ex. Hispanics, Arabs, African-Americans, etc.)

        For those of a given MGM-Mixed Ethnicity to decide to
        stop "trying to pass" as "mono"-racial DOES NOT
        MEAN that it will become a divisive issue within this varied
        set of communities found among the given Ethnicity.

        If anything – it would be a `unifying force' –
        as no longer would "the skin game" even matter

        FOR EXAMPLE :

        When all of the "black", "white", "brown", "red",
        "beige", etc. people --- (who are a part of this
        unique MGM-Mixed heritage) --- can proudly
        proclaim and be acknowledged as  `a part of
        the community' – (without feeling forced to
        pretend they are "African", "fully-Black" or any
        of the other terms that became so popular in
        the 1960's and 70's when the AA's were still
        "trying to find themselves" and also find some
        group that would (at least appear to) `accept'
        them) – the current so-called "racial" barriers
        found today would likely be overshadowed
        and broken down by a "new" ETHNIC UNITY.

        The people of the MGM `African-American'
        ETHNICITY – are a UNIQUE people and,
        `because of what they have survived and
        overcome, in the process they have become
        UNIQUELY CONNECTED to every' single
        so-called "racial" group found on the planet earth.

        FINAL WORD:

        As Multi-Racials, we all must work to "stop wearing a mask"
        (i.e. "forcing ourselves to try to "pass" as a 'mono'-racial) and,
        instead, start to `look into the mirror' and `develop the
        courage to fully acknowledge' *who* and *what* we truly are.

        Ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and embracing of
        a matter is often a thousand times more empowering than if the
        whole world also affirmed what one already knows to be true.

        [[MGM / MGM-Mixed = Multi-Generational Multiracially- Mixed]]

      • tlbaker1
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2006

          I agree, no other comments to add....

          Lynne

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2006
            You are right about other groups on how they see themselves.
            I think simply many people don't want to be �black� due to it
            carrying a negative connotation. I know when I was growing
            up we just accepted being �black� or �of African descent�
            even though we knew there were other ancestors.
            The truth is my experience has been and for
            many will be more like our African ancestors.
            I look more African so that is what
            my experience will be in one sense.

            Whites are known to have multiple ethnicities in their ancestry.
            If you look �black� it is harder to believe you are
            part French, Irish, Italian etc. ... sometimes even
            when your ancestry is visible. [The term] �black�
            to me is �a mixture� and has always been to me.
            I think that we have minimized the mixture in some ways
            due to lack of knowledge about our personal ancestries.

            In Louisiana you have Cajuns and Creoles. If you are
            half Cajun and have African ancestry, by and large you
            are considered Creole not Cajun. Even though they agree
            with your ancestry being true. Even though you can trace
            our ancestry to the Great Expulsion like our White cousins.
            They will agree you are part French but you won't be considered
            Cajun, even though both sides agree with being ancestrally linked.

            Some just feel closer to a certain part of their heritage that
            doesn't mean they are trying to leave the others behind.
            Many times people are shunned by their related groups
            and find a place among the �black� group. That happens a lot.