Racial Mis-Categorization & The USCB

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006

      Racial Mis-Categorization & The USCB

      Until the 1930 Census, the "Multi"-Racial Ancestry
      of the people who were of some part-Black admixture
      was openly acknowledged on U.S. Census Bureau
      Forms – (BUT -- unfortunately, was also left up
      to the scrutiny and sole-decision of the "subjective
      determination" of US Census Bureau workers.

      Even though, out of spite, racial bias or straight-out
      bigotry, the census workers often thought nothing
      of falsely referring to a "Multi"-Racial who was of
      part-Black ancestry as "N" for "Negro" or "B" for
      "Black" ----- sometimes an "M" was placed on the
      census forms representing "Mulatto" ("Mixed-Race")
      and / or eventually a "C" was used for "Colored" (which,
      at that time was indicative of "Multi"-Racial lineage).

      As a result of the application of Racist 'One Drop
      Rule'-based so-called "Racial-Integrity Laws", all
      of the "Multi"-Racials who were of any amount
      of part-Black ancestry were "legally- labeled"
      (and thus, misidentified) as being "Black" or "Negro"
      under the Racist of the concept of `Hypo-Descent'.

      In 1967, the US Supreme Court decision for
      Loving v. Virginia, ruled that the so-called
      "Racial-Integrity Laws" were Unconstitutional
      –which thereby should also have resulted in
      the overturning the "legality" of the application
      of the Racist "One Drop /Hypo-descent Rule".

      Even today, however, --- simply because so very many
      Multi-Generational Multi-Racially Mixed (MGM-Mixed)
      people have had parents and / or  grandparents who were
      "legally-misidentified" on previous Census Forms (and
      by Census-based Birth/School/Death Records, in the past)
      -- millions of people who are clearly of MGM-Mixed
      lineage are still finding themselves  continually
      misidentified as being of "mono"-racial lineage.

      [[MGM-Mixed=Multi-Generational Multiracially Mixed]]

      http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0056.html

      Related Links:

    • docilechicken24
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
        This is what is quite confusing to me, the term of Mixed-Race when
        only the 'One-Drop Rule' exists in United States, even if it wasn't
        always like that in the census it has been the predominant racial
        concept that has governed our country. A drop made you "other".

        It is confusing because, from where I stand, 80-90%
        of "black" people are Mixed-Race and are Mulattoes.

        I have and I'm sure we all have met people [who are] “black" [and]
        who also have Indian, Chinese, and White ancestry in their heritage.

        The big question is, when does the definition of being "black"
        start reflecting what it actually means in this country (what
        it means refers to the composition of the members of the
        group called "black"), you are "black" or have been "black"
        (in this country) when you have a discernable or
        even provable on paper amount of african ancestry.

        I do recognize that conceptions are starting
        to change about who is Black or who is not.

        To me, Mixed-Race is basically implied within the label
        "black" due to the history and its present composition.

        I would agree that it was jacked up that America decided
        to impose such an abomination as the 'One-Drop Rule',
        but a bit of color changed your status and so that is how
        people have been interacting for a long time now.

        I am conflicted about solidarity. Either take a Mixed-Race title
        which divides and distinguishes us from our other "black" sisters
        and brothers (who are -- I'd argue by definition of "black" in
        America -- predominantly Mixed-Race) or accept the traditional label
        of "blackness" even though sometimes it feels like it doesn't fit.

        As far as being true to my other Ethnic influences regardless
        of the "racial" 'identification' I choose, I am sure to reveal
        all of my cultural backgrounds, White and Non-white..

        In reality, from my 'experiences', if I say I am Mixed-Race, I
        will be received by white people better and "black people" worse.

        This is the issue I have been battling with in
        my 'identity' [in choosing to say] "black" or
        Mixed-Race ... lately I have favored "black".

        The big conflict comes because an 'identification' as Mixed-Race,
        although my purpose would be accuracy of 'experiences', there
        is I believe still a differing and (better more acceptable) social
        status to those who consider themselves and identify themselves
        as Mixed-Race than as "black" or even [as] African-American.

        I can't help but feeling that although I don't mean to
        be snobby and telling people I am better than them,
        I still kind of am [giving that impression].

        What do y'all think, have any of y'all struggled with this issue.

        Dustin

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
          One of the reasons that [certain members of] the
          black community and political leadership has been
          a supporter of the One-Drop rule is that it increases
          their numbers and therefore their political clout.
          There is a fear that were all people of mixed ancestry to
          start labelling themselves as such that statistically the
          "black" population would no longer be a signifigant demographic,
          ----- especially since it has been eclipsed by Hispanics.
          Also, arguably, composition was never an issue so
          whether Mulatto, Passe-Blanc or almost Pure-African
          descent --- one's experience --- professionally,
          legally and sociologically were basically the same
          Post Civil War up until The Civil Rights Movement.

          Perhaps Hispanics are the best comparison to the concept
          of "blackness" in the US (even if it may be silly to us)
          in the sense that they aren't concerned with what
          percentage of which is their composition but instead
          see themselves as a 'unified' Culturally-Based 'Identity'.
          Being "black" often means the same thing
          (though I know there are alot of exceptions).
          [The term] "black" then transcends a racial
          classification and becomes a Cultural-Identity
          by virtue of sociological foundations /
          shared history and a default caste since
          one can never really rise above it.

          In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
          "multiracialbookclu b" <soaptalk@.. .> wrote:

[...]

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1421
          <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1421>

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1418
          <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1418>

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1417
          <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1417>

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1386
          <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1386>

        • tlbaker1
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
            Dustin, I agree with all your comments' �black� people
            [being] mixed-race even [if] just from slavery only.

            Well, for me I have been in a state of confusion about my
            race and mostly family members on and off for a while
            since I was very little until about 10-15 years ago.
            We would go visit the relatives in NC / VA, etc., and I
            would see these �white� looking people who were supposed
            to be �black� or at least I assumed they were because
            they were my family or was told, can't remember now.
            I was 5ish at the time I was very
            weirded out by these "strange" people.
            I remember my mother trying to explain to me why I looked
            different from the other little girls at school / block.

            My grandfather whom was in WW2 who go to the �black� /
            �colored� mess hall and people who ask him why he is there.
            He said 'I am �black� (may have called himself �colored�),
            can't you tell (not really) look at my hair' (ok,
            so he doesn't have straight blonde hair...).
            He was fighting to[be] black it seems.

            Then I grew up w/the "different" mother who didn't look like everyone
            else's mother, I used to think she was �white� when I was very little.
            Father is dark skinned, mixed race as well.
            Seems as though back in the 60's / 70's and before being
            Mixed / biracial (especially biracial) was something
            that was not talked about much -- as though it didn't
            exist - period you were �pure black� that's it.
            Maybe because back then it was taboo because most people thought
            it was directly related to slavery or you shouldn't be proud to
            be mixed w/White people as they were the oppressor, who knows.
            But it seems it was OK to be mixed w/Native though - I think
            it was OK to be mixed w/Native in the 70's for anyone, pretty
            fashionable back then to claim Native ancestry, still is...
            I had a Cher doll that was darker than I am w/long black
            hair down to her knees in the 70's - she looks nothing
            like that now, well never really did, somewhat, though.
            I once asked a friend at day camp once (I was about 10, I grew
            up in the Bronx) if she were mixed and you would have thought I
            asked her if she were �, she didn't answer, was kind of afraid -
            maybe because we were young.I wasn't going to stop being her f
            riend or make fun of her, I was just curious, already knew anyway.
            She looked like a �white� girl w/a very deep tan
            even her hair was completely straight, no curl at all.
            Her brother, on the other hand, told us his father was
            Italian, we were having some kind of deep conversation.
            I recall having pretty deep discussions w/my friends when
            I was young especially about race and they were pretty
            accurate too for the most part now that I recall.

            So, the point I am trying to make is that although I �identify�
            with being �black� and have no problem w/it; however, I was
            unable to categorize myself as I knew I was "different"
            because of my ancestry but because I was not quote unquote
            �biracial� (although if you saw my mother you might think
            otherwise) and sometimes look �more biracial� than people who
            actually are (we know this doesn't matter just my trying to sort
            out my �identity� prior to �enlightenment�, LOL) then 'what I am I'.

            I once had a conversation w/a biracial guy friend of my telling him
            that he had an explanation for who he was but �what was my deal?�.

            I actually found this group by accident,looking
            for African-American Incredimail yahoogroup
            (www.incredimail.com) an email
            program with picture stationery.

            The groups share and create
            the stationary, I have tons.

            I read the description and joined.

            Lynne

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • tlbaker1
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006

              If everyone started labelling themselves as mixed race do you
              think the demographic would actually change (maybe on paper?).
              Will the government / establishment simply say OK,
              this is what "they" are calling themselves these day....

              Not in this lifetime

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                I am new here. My daughter is 11 and she is 1/2 black and /White..
                I posted a pic of us under the kid section.
                We live in California. Where is everyone else from ?
                Susan
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                  Hi Susan, ,

                  Welcome to 'Gen-Mixed'!

                  We are so glad that you decided to
                  become a part of our
                  online community.=D>

                  This is a great group and we are sure you will have
                  the chance to meet a lot of fantastic new friends
                  here -- who understand many of your experiences
                  as the parent of a Bi-Racial / Mixed-Race child.:)

                  Welcome again -- and have a great day!!!

                  -- M

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006

                    Wow ... that's great!!!

                    You -- like so many other people here --- are
                    a great member -- what you've shared has
                    been so helpful -- and we are all so glad
                    that you've joined 'the community' !!=D>

                    Hey... ya' know what I'm starting to think
                    ... maybe it wasn't even an 'ac-ci-dent'
                    ... so much as it was 'pro-vi-dence'.  ;;)

                    Have a great day, Lynne!!! :)

                    "tlbaker1" <tlbaker1@...> wrote:

                    ... I actually found this group by accident
                    ... I read the description and joined.

                    Lynne

                  • SUSAN ROSHAU
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                      Thanks for the warm welcome !

                      "Susan" <sroshau@...> wrote:

                       I am new here. My daughter is 11 and she is 1/2 black and /White..
                       I posted a pic of us under the kid section.
                       We live in California. Where is everyone else from ?
                       Susan

                      Susan Roshau

                    • tlbaker1
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
                        Hi Susan,

                        Welcome, I am from NYC, no children, just me!!
                        This is a great place to be.

                        Lynne

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006

                          Thanks, Multi, it is great to be here indeed.

                          I always thought you had to actually be biracial w/one
                          Black parent and one White parent to be of true Mixed-Race.

                          But then I found myself not quite fitting into the
                          definition of being Black so I just tried to adapt
                          as best as I could - not White not quite Black either.

                          It is really more of a spiritual thing rather than
                          appearance as I am not looking in the mirror all day long.
                          I do feel the presence of my ancestors at times w/in me.

                          Lynne

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
                             I actually live in nortrthern california. welcome

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 20, 2010

                              http://boards.mulatto.org/post/show_single_post?pid=34070161&postcount;=13

                              http://mgmix.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=879:light-skin-curse-a-different-point-of-view&catid=36:biracial#comment-1271

                              http://boards.mulatto.org/post/show_single_post?pid=34070414&postcount;=14