Skin-Care for 'Metisse' (i.e. Mixed-Race) Women

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2006
      Métisse Interview
      Richmond City

      A dermatologist, Dr. Stanley B. Levy, explains that
      "The Sun May Also Pose Problems For Métisse Women."

      The sun poses more problems then we probably care to consider.
      We all love to be out in it but we may be
      ignoring its potential for damaging our skin.

      Most women with light skin tones, light hair
      and blue, green or gray eyes know from
      experience that they must protect themselves.

      We have heard the warnings before from our mothers and we
      have been informed about the dangerous consequences of too
      much sun: premature aging of the skin that causes wrinkling,
      freckling, prominent blood vessels and coarsening of skin texture.

      These conditions can lead to the formation of
      pre-cancerous growths and an increased risk
      of developing skin cancer, especially later in life.

      However, it seems that we have not heard enough about
      how to protect intermediate or darker skin types.

      What should métisse women do to protect their skin?

      Well, remember that just because you are olive skinned
      or brown skinned with medium to dark eyes does not
      mean that one should forget about sun protection ... still
      need to know about protecting your skin from the sun.

      Métisse Magazine Online had an interview with noted
      dermatologist Dr. Stanley B. Levy in order to get the facts.

      Dr. Levy is a private physician as well as a clinical
      professor of dermatology at the University
      of North Carolina School of Medicine.

      He says that the main preventive strategy that doctors
      are promoting these days is the use of sunscreens to
      cut down on the harmful effects of the sun's rays.

      He warns that although people with fairer or lighter skin are
      generally more sun sensitive, people with darker skin tones
      can still see adverse effects from the sun in the long term.

      People with intermediate skin tones will notice that when they
      develop other skin problems, eczema or other skin inflammations,
      it may happen that when these begin to heal that young women
      may find increased pigmentation in the affected areas.

      This could apply to common acne lesions on
      the face as well as other parts of the body.

      All these kinds of discolorations are aggravated by sun exposure.

      This happens in our youth but the results will
      present themselves as we move toward middle age.

      In addition, métisse women should be aware that the
      issue of irregular pigmentation, where the skin is both
      lighter and darker, will be aggravated by the sun's
      ultraviolet light but not necessarily caused by it.

      "Drugs, like antibiotics such as tetracycline or sulfa
      drugs, birth control pills or blood pressure medicine
      can add to the sensitivity your skin has to the sun
      or be the catalyst for irregular pigmentations.

      This can happen no matter what the skin type," adds Levy.

      Therefore, Dr. Levy suggests "it is important to find a
      sunscreen that fits your skin type and to become faithful to it.

      They can be used as a moisturizer under makeup, or use
      stick forms for lips or waterproof versions for use on
      the beach, boat or around the pool." Dr. Levy adds,

      "Remember, when it comes to the sun—the tan
      may fade but the damage you incur from too
      much sun in your youth remains forever."