Mixed-Race Family: 'Daniel & Solange Smith'

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 23, 2007

      The Knowles-Smith Family:

      The picture noted below is of football star Daniel Smith
      at his wedding in his marraige to singer Solange Knowles.

      It is well-known that both Daniel and Solange are of a
      Multi-Generational (MGM-Mixed) Mixed-Race Lineage.

      Mr. and Mrs. Smith (At their Wedding)

      More about actress/singer
      ... Solange Knowles-Smith

      Solange Piaget Knowles-Smith

      (born June 24, 1986 in Houston, Texas) is an
      American actress, R&B singer and songwriter.

      She is the younger sister of R&B/soul / pop singer
      and Destiny's Child member Beyonce Knowles.

      Her career, like that of her sister, is managed
      by her father, Mathew Knowles -- who
      also managed Destiny's Child.

      Both of Solange's parents are of
      Mixed-Race Lineage.

      Her mother is of the
      Creole  culture and her
      father is of the
      African-American ethnicity.

      Music Career

      In 2002, Knowles released her debut single,
      "Feelin' You", from her debut album 'Solo Star',
      which was released in January 2003.

      The album debuted in the top 50 of
      the U.S.
      Billboard 200 albums chart.

      Solange was also featured on the Destiny's Child's
      holiday album '8 Days Of Christmas '(released in
      October 2001), on the track "The Little Drummer
      Boy" and also on "Proud Family" (included on
      the special edition and later on the  'The
      Proud Family'  soundtrack album).

      She is also featured on the
      Jumpin' Jumpin (Disney Party Mix).

      Acting Career

      She was in 'Johnson Family Vacation' .
      She was in 'Bring It On: All or Nothing'.

      Personal

      On February 27, 2004 Knowles married then
      Texas Southern University football player
      Daniel Smith -- who later transferred to
      the University of Idaho and entered the
      2006 NFL draft after his junior season.

      Although he went undrafted, the Carolina
      Panthers signed him to a contract
      as an undrafted free-agent.

      The Knowles-Smith union was
      later scheduled for a divorce.

      During their marriage, Daniel and Solange  had
      a  son whome they named Daniel Julez Smith.

      Daniel Julez Smith

      SOURCES:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Smith_(football_player)
      http://info2know.wordpress.com/category/solange-knowles

      http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3962/people7fg.jpg

    • Rosanna
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 23, 2007
        What I find rather perplexing is how although both of these
        individuals are Mixed, if asked, most Americans would
        probably identify them as "black" and leave it at that.

        Really, I think a large percentage of people who
        are labeled "black" or "white" are actually Mixed.

        There is so little recognition of
        Mixed-Race identity in this country.

[...]

        a son whom they named Daniel Julez Smith.

        SOURCES:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Smith_(football_player)
        http://info2know.wordpress.com/category/solange-knowles
        http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3962/people7fg.jpg

        RELATED LINK:

      • blondiesblondiesblondies
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 23, 2007
          I came on into the middle of the conversation.
          I new to posting in this group but I'm not new
          to the website. I've been lurking around in
          the group, and reading the different posts.
          The reason why I haven't been posting is
          because I'm a little shy, and I really
          didn't know what to say but I am
          ready to join now!!! Who is mixed?

          Blondie123

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 24, 2007
            Hi, Blondies.

            Happy Holidays to you and everyone at Generation-Mixed!

            As for your question, the majority of Americans
            probably have more than one "race" in their ancestry.

            And many of us are first or second generation mixies,
            that is, parents or grandparents of different "races."

            Yet, there is very little recognition of this in mainstream culture
            and people are often labeled based on physical appearance alone.
            Many Mixed persons, myself included, find this frustrating
            b/c we want to acknowledge the diversity of our background
            and not simply be pigeonholed b/c of our physical appearance.
            I am Multiracial: Black/White/Latin American indigenous, yet b/c
            I look "Hispanic" people often expect me to identify that way,
            and do not want to hear that I am part Black or part European.
            Often people seem not to believe me and want
            to argue w/me about my racial background, lol.

            I hope one day our society will be able to get away from
            this idea that you don't have to be black OR White
            OR Hispanic OR this OR that, and instead embrace
            the idea that many or even most of us are Mixed.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 25, 2007
              Hi Rosanna,

              Happy Holidays to you too!

              Yes, you are so very right. I get the same thing too.
              A lot of people think that I'm Hispanic or Mexican.
              It is frustrating b/c we want to acknowledge the
              diversity of our background and not simply be
              pigeonholed b/c of our physical appearance.
              I consider myself Mixed too but every time me and my
              mother talk about race issues she always say that you are
              "black." not Mixed, White, Hispanic, Indian, or Chinese.
              She believes in if you have 1% of Black
              or Negro in you then you are “black”.
              I don't believe that. I'm like you. I totally believe
              that all of us Americans are mostly Multiracial or Mixed.
              I claim all of the races that is in my family tree.
              I claim myself to be black, white, hispanic, and indian.
              Especially when you come from a state that my family comes from.
              Both of my mother and father were born in New Orleans, Louisiana,
              and you know for a fact that Louisianans are well-known for
              the "Creole Culture," and as a lot of people in this world
              know that "Creole" means a mixture of both Spanish and
              French, and that can be of any Hispanic. Puerto Rican,
              Mexican, Cuban, South American, or a Spainard from Spain.

              I can tell ya' my grandmother on my mother's side of her
              family considers herself "Creole," but she calls herself
              “black” as well. So, she is considered to be a "black creole".
              There is a such thing as “black creoles” and “white creoles”.
              I guess I'm in the category of considering to be a “white creole”.
              Because, my skin is very light-brown skin. I'm a very high
              yellow, and my dad's complexion is twice as lighter than mine.
              He could pass for a Caucasian guy or a Cuban or Puerto Rican guy.

              I agree. Why not just everyone accept the
              fact that most or all of us are Mixed?

              "multiracialbookclub" <soaptalk@> wrote:

[...]

            • DENISE BAKER
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 18, 2008
                Please forgive my ignorance, but is Creole a race?

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 3331

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 19, 2008

                  That's an excellent question ---- and the answer is as follows:

                  No -- the 'Creoles' are not a 'Race' group -- but rather, they are a largely
                  Multi-Generational Multiracially-Mixed (MGM-Mixed) 'Cultural' group.

                  There a fairly wide variety and number of largely MGM-Mixed Groups which,
                  although they are often mistaken for being 'Race' Groups, are actually not
                  'Race' Groups at all -- but rather -- are, in fact, Cultural (ex. Creole, Latino,
                  etc.) Groups or Ethnic Groups (ex. African-American, Tongan, etc.).

                  The links below may be of help in providing even more information.

[...]

                • Tyrone Anderson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 19, 2008
                    I would also add that the 'Cultural' mix would come before the 'Ethnic' mix.
                    Negre's of Louisianna as well as the French would / could
                    be 'Creole' because as you stated it's a Cultural-heritage

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 2815

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 722

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 2142
                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 2052