Re: [Generation-Mixed] On "passing " as a 'mono'-racial

  • donnell lattimore
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 3 1:37 PM
      i dont think i could pass for full anything.. maybe hispanic

      Listed below are a few interesting links on the
      topic of "passing " as a 'mono'-racial of any type:

      http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20031026stain1026fnp2.asp
      http://www.digitalcity.com/detroit/detroit_dialog/main.adp?
      page=detroit-passing
      http://condor.depaul.edu/~mwilson/multicult/whois.html

      http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 3 1:53 PM
          [donnell lattimore
          <caramelkid1010@y...> wrote:

          "i dont think i could pass for
          full anything.. maybe hispanic"]

          My reply:

          It seems to me that there is a fairly
          good chance that if you were in Brazil
          -- you would likely find yourself placed
          in any number of multiple categories..

          http://interracialvoice.com/wardle.html

          Speaking of Brazil, it has always struck me as an
          `interesting',and somewhat `contradictory' place
          (in matters of racial categorization and equality)

          What's bizarre about Brazil is that even though it is willing
          to acknowledge the fact of any person's multi-racial lineage,
          it is still actually one of the most racist nations in the world.

          It's structure set up by it's three-tiered society (top=white;
          mixed and/or indian=middle; black and/or indian=bottom)
          focuses not on any 'measure' of equality -- but on making
          sure that 'non-colored' people (i.e. 'whites') are the rulers
          and any 'people-of-color' (at least as a group) never have
          any true security of opportunity for real success or progress.

          The main difference in the semantics used in Brazil is
          that there, `racism' is generally hidden behind the
          smokescreen of the use of the word "classism" or what,
          in the U.S., is just referred to as "white privilege".

          Brazil is definitely an interesting, if
          not somewhat contradictory, place.

          http://www.brazzilbrief.com/viewtopic.php?t=2158
          http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/42/133.html

          http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/42/index-eec.html
          http://www.webcom.com/intvoice/wardle5.html

          http://www.ama.africatoday.com/racism.htm
          http://whiteprivilege.hampshire.edu/wiwp.html

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          donnell lattimore <caramelkid1010@y...> wrote:

          i dont think i could pass for full anything.. maybe hispanic

          Listed below are a few interesting links on the
          topic of "passing " as a 'mono'-racial of any type:

          http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20031026stain1026fnp2.asp
          http://www.digitalcity.com/detroit/detroit_dialog/main.adp?
          page=detroit-passing
          http://condor.depaul.edu/~mwilson/multicult/whois.html
        • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3 2:01 PM
            When I had straightend hair *everybody* thought I was
            Puerto Rican. It aslo depends on how much sun I've
            gotten during a particular summer. And I notice how
            differently people treat me when I'm darker as opposed
            to lighter.

            Regards,

            Raven

            --- multiracialbookclub <soaptalk@...> wrote:

            > [donnell lattimore
            > <caramelkid1010@y...> wrote:
            >
            > "i dont think i could pass for
            > full anything.. maybe hispanic"]
            >
            > My reply:
            >
            > It seems to me that there is a fairly
            > good chance that if you were in Brazil
            > -- you would likely find yourself placed
            > in any number of multiple categories..
            >
            > http://interracialvoice.com/wardle.html
            >
            > Speaking of Brazil, it has always struck me as an
            > `interesting',and somewhat `contradictory' place
            > (in matters of racial categorization and equality)
            >
            > What's bizarre about Brazil is that even though it
            > is willing
            > to acknowledge the fact of any person's multi-racial
            > lineage,
            > it is still actually one of the most racist nations
            > in the world.
            >
            > It's structure set up by it's three-tiered society
            > (top=white;
            > mixed and/or indian=middle; black and/or
            > indian=bottom)
            > focuses not on any 'measure' of equality -- but on
            > making
            > sure that 'non-colored' people (i.e. 'whites') are
            > the rulers
            > and any 'people-of-color' (at least as a group)
            > never have
            > any true security of opportunity for real success or
            > progress.
            >
            > The main difference in the semantics used in Brazil
            > is
            > that there, `racism' is generally hidden behind the
            > smokescreen of the use of the word "classism" or
            > what,
            > in the U.S., is just referred to as "white
            > privilege".
            >
            > Brazil is definitely an interesting, if
            > not somewhat contradictory, place.
            >
            > http://www.brazzilbrief.com/viewtopic.php?t=2158
            > http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/42/133.html

            http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/42/index-eec.html
            > http://www.webcom.com/intvoice/wardle5.html
            >
            > http://www.ama.africatoday.com/racism.htm
            > http://whiteprivilege.hampshire.edu/wiwp.html
            >
            > In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
            > donnell lattimore <caramelkid1010@y...> wrote:
            >
            > i dont think i could pass for full anything.. maybe
            > hispanic
            >
            > multiracialbookclub <soaptalk@...> wrote:
            > Listed below are a few interesting links on the
            > topic of "passing " as a 'mono'-racial of any type:

            http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20031026stain1026fnp2.asp

            http://www.digitalcity.com/detroit/detroit_dialog/main.adp?
            > page=detroit-passing

            http://condor.depaul.edu/~mwilson/multicult/whois.html

            Nvwadohiyada Ale Nvwatohiyadv!
            (Peace and Blessings, in Tsalagi (Cherokee)

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3 3:30 PM
              I have a friend that is half Vietnamese and half black ( light skinned she said) but she basically looks asian. However she also had very curly hair. She told me how her life basically changed overnight after she straightened her hair. Before only black or the occassional hispanic guy would talk to her but now she is always approached by whites and other asians, but now few blacks. Her straight hair makes her look almost full asian now.

              It's funny how there is always one "giveaway" trait ( generally) for race. With Asians its the eyes and for alot of mixed african descent its either the lips, nose or hair. It's ironic that these are basically the traits that were able to travel at least 5 generations for me.

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3 8:41 PM
                  This sounds like my sister, Paulette (my half
                  sister, I should say. We both have the same dad.)

                  She straightens her hair and people think she's
                  more Asian than when her hair is curly.
                  What's funny is we look a lot alike.
                  We both have copper-colored skin,
                  big slanted eyes, but I have fuller lips.
                  Because I have Scots-Irish and English,
                  and Cherokee on both sides of my family,
                  I actually get lighter than she does in the winter.
                  My eyes are brown/hazel and occasionally
                  green,while hers are black.

                  On another note, though, my first cousins are half
                  Dutch, my first cousin married a woman who is half
                  Native Hawaiian and White, my sister's husband is half
                  Polish and half Puerto Rican, and they jsut had a son.

                  I can't wait till we have a family
                  reunion—the food's gonna be great!

                  Blessings,

                  Raven

                  <caramelkid1010@y...> wrote:

[...]

                • john

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 4 7:34 AM
                          That's so true.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 4 12:52 PM
                              The real question is, is anyone passing if they look a certain way? Meaning since ethnicity and race are really a political and social construct determined by the society one lives in as opposed to some immutable truth, if we appear a certain way, isn't that what we are? How can one not be white if one has white skin, since it is a color designation. What we are passing for is "free of african taint" ,but then is it that we are passing or simply not behaving in a stereotypical way or making some loud announcement to the world just so they know? And do we even have any moral obligation to let others know, especially if they are ignorant and it doesn't benefit us?
                              The reason I don't have a problem with people passing is because they aren't passing in my book. They are only designated as being something based on their "pedigree" in the USA and no where else. In the Domincan Republic, for example,  it's based on appearance and in any place in the world ( except perhaps South Africa) the concept of an octoroon would be laughable. How is one passing if that is what they look like? Now if the person intentionally alters their appearance through surgery, make up, contact lenses, wigs etc specifically to look other than who they naturally are so they will be percieved as pure white then I think they probably need therapy more than anger.
                               While I don't hide anything from anyone I dont feel the need to stand on a soap box either and proclaim it to the world. But I also will let people know I'm not pure white just so they know who and what they are dealing with. I don't have to but I figure its the best way to get those with backwards attitudes out of my life or at least at arms length. Also since this country's racist laws say I'm not white, I don't want it. I'm not interested in being in that club if the requirement is I can't acknowledge all of me.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 4 3:55 PM
                                One thought on Hair...

                                I grew up in a small town..I could count on one hand the number of Black people in town. If you had any type of color to your skin, that was perceived to be "Black".
                                As you can imagine, the only thing sold on the store shelves for hair was hair spray, gel, and mousse. And not a stylist in town knew how to deal with textured hair.
                                I looked like Bride of Frankenstein for the first 13 years of my life!! My hair was so out of control!! My hair looks really nice when wet but when it dries, it has a life of its own. When I moved to the city and discovered Blue Magic, I was in heaven. It was like a whole new world :)

                                Then my friend tried to perm my hair... I forgot to tell her that I had conditioned it that morning. Whoops! Grin* The perm took alright, my hair was stick straight and would not move. It was so shiny, like I was polished onyx. I tried to wash out the perm...no use. My hair stuck to my head like a helmet for over a week! But I couldn't complain, grin, because I knew where I had been.

                                Good to hear from all of you!!
                                :) Lynn
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 4 4:01 PM
                                  Very touchy subject.I don't fully agree with one passing but on the other hand I kind of understand.Maybe passing could be for survival but don't pass in thinking you are better than or superior.I remembered my father telling me to marry light and have kids with light complexion folks like myself but never darker.He said that we can't pass for white but we will be able to keep our good hair and nice complexion for generations.He told me that being light in complexion will help me get better jobs and treated better in the world...

                                  I visited my cousin in Alabama and he said something similiar. He said when you raise your kids, whatever form you use to fill out their information, put "White" as their race. If they are "White" they will get better jobs and be more successful. If they are "White" they won't have to struggle so much in life. If they are "White" they will live in a nice house.

                                  I'm sorry but to me that is like ripping out my heart. Life isn't supposed to be too easy. You have to fight and work for what you want in life. You have to develop yourself from putting effort into things. Its just unthinkable to me to do something like that. Not only that but I want my grandparents and family, who have died, to look down and say "Look how far our family has come. Look how much we have changed, and how well we are doing." There may be some truth to those words but I also think you have to develop your own truth, and be brave enough to stand up for it.

                                  Thanks for sharing!!
                                  Peace, Lynn

                                • john

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 7 9:31 AM

[...]