THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THESE [Generation-Mixed] Mixed-race Celebrity: Terrence Howard

  • tlbaker1
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2006

      This especially helps me out a lot as I
      always thought that I was the only one
      (well when I was a small child � I was the
      only �black� child that looked like me where
      I grew up) like me other than my family;
      then there were people who had one
      white /other race parent and one
      Black (or probably multiracial) parent -
      they were the ones who were �mixed�.

      As a child all my family was �black�,
      regardless of any mixture, was not aware
      of any mixture they were �black� or
      I assumed they were supposed to be
      as I was a �black� and they were my family.

      I wonder what happened w/my
      parents in the 60�s when they were
      married / dating being in public
      (I will have to ask my father,
      mother will get weird on me, lol)?
      I am sure they looked like an
      �interracial couple� as well.
      They were in NYC, not that it would
      make that much of a difference
      to people raising eyebrows.

      In addition, it was refreshing to see that being
      'Mixed'-Race ... as the result of "having parents
      of 'mixed'-lineage" was ALSO being acknowledged
                         (... leave it to Oprah ... thanks Oprah!)
      ... rather than `Mixed'-Race being seen ONLY
      as the result of a person "having parents
      who were a part of an Interracial- Union"
      or had been placed into two (2) separate
      "Racial" categorizations (as the world so
      commonly, and clearly mistakenly, sees it).

      From: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com