Hey ... speaking of 'Daniel Boone' ...

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006

      OK … since it looks like I may be the only one in
      the group with no connection to `Daniel Boone' :((
      (other than having watched re-runs of that old

      1960's TV show about him) I was beginning to
      feel just a little left out :( –-  so -- I decided to do
      a bit of research on him – to see if I could find any
      other Mixed-Race connections to Daniel Boone ...
      and the following information caught my interest::-?

      QUOTE:

      "I WAS born at Lexington, Kentucky.
      My father, as I was informed, was a member of
      the Wickliffe family; my mother was of mixed
      blood; her father, it was said, was the noted
      Daniel Boone, and her mother a negress."

      – William Wells Brown  (The  18th century
      Mixed-Race writer, abolitionist and the author
      of the novel,
      `
      Clotelle: The Colored Heroine' --
      which is the story of a Mixed-Race woman's
      trying experiences in the Antebellum South)

      Source:
      http://docsouth.unc.edu/brownww/brown.html#brown128

      So ... if the above mentioned passage is true ...
      those of you who may be related to `Daniel Boone'
      ....  may also be related to famous Mixed-Race
      abolitionist-writer ...
      William Wells Brown .

      Related Links:

      http://www.bookrags.com/biography/william-wells-brown/
      http://www.columbiatribune.com/2006/Jun/20060602Life005.asp

      Hope you all find that to be of interest and that you have a
      great day (and I'm still wishing I had a famous ancestor) :)

      -- AP ("WG")

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 11, 2006

        Listed below are links to a free, online copy of a book
        written by
        William Wells Brown  (the famous
        Mixed-Race, 18th century  abolitionist-writer).

        The title of the book is
        'Clotelle:
        The Colored Heroine'
         and it is
        the story of a Mixed-Race woman's
        experiences in the Antebellum South.

        The links to the free, online book are as follows:

        http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/wwbrown/toc.html
        http://tanaya.net/Books/clotl11/
        http://worldebooklibrary.com/eBooks/WorldeBookLibrary.com/clotelle.htm

        More on William Wells Brown

        Name:

        William Wells Brown

        Birth Date:

        c. 1815

        Death Date:

        November 6, 1884

        Place of Birth:

        Lexington, Kentucky , United States

        Place of Death:

        Chelsea, Massachusetts , United States

        Race:

        Multi-Racial

        Nationality:

        American

        Ethnicity:

        African American

        Gender:

        Male

        Occupations:

        abolitionist, author, playwright

      • phillymom35
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 11, 2006
          hey! multiracialbookclub, you never know..
          You could be related to [Daniel Boone]
          I want to thank you again for all info .it's appreciated..
          It's probably going to take me a while, but whatever I learn I
          will share with MG..unfortunately the historian of the my family
          died last year[ my mother's oldest sister] and an older cousin who
          was doing research as well died ,my mother seems not know
          too much..I guess being the youngest it wasn't of interest to
          her back then as it is to me today..anyway I will keep going.
          Have a wonderful day
          Phillymom

[...]

        • tlbaker1
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 11, 2006

            how many people here are related to Daniel Boone,
            that is actually kinda scary... LOL,
            that's like having several people related
            to like your grandfather or something.

            Lynne

            From: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 124

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 11, 2006

              Hey Philly,

              Do you find that sometimes the older folks don't
              really like to talk about these kinds of things too much?
              Like the old south and sometimes even family history.

              Lynne

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 11, 2006

                What you have said reminds me a lot of the excellent
                poem that was written by our very own Gen-Mixed
                `Poet Laureate' (as I like to call her) ----- " Lynn"

                Here is a link to " Lynn 's" poem entitled,  `The Secret River '

                From: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 13, 2006

                  Sorry I'm just getting back to you but I seen an
                  article online that someone' had recently wrote;
                  Their Memories of the same place
                  I lived as a child -- with pictures.

                  So now, I get really interested as I read his article,
                  I see familar places and the actual street signs showing
                  the directions to where I once lived with my grandmother,
                  he talks about the railroad, little grocery stores ,post office.

                  But nothing prepared me for what I was about to read next..
                  a few paragraphs down and I see the name
                  [no pic] John Copeland and Raynor Nickens.
                  responsible for building the second
                  cotton gin and sawmill combined there ,.

                  By now Lynne, I knew this was my grandfather, that I know
                  nothing of, so again I called my Mom, and read it to her, she
                  doesn't know about the building, but they it was definitely her
                  father and Uncle and when I give the name under the articles .

                  She said she believes it is the son of a
                  cousin … his last name was Jones.

                  So I've emailed him & just maybe I’ll
                  learn something of John Copeland
                  Will keep you and GM informed .

                  Have a good evening.

                  PhillyMom

                  Do I find older people don't /won't comment on Family
                  History and ways of the South back in the day?,

                  Yes, the ones I have spoken with usually say the same thing.

                  ….that their memories of those days were harsh not many
                  fond ones and they would rather let ''sleeping dogs lie'', etc. ...

                  But when I can get someone to open up to me ...
                  I can sit and listen to them for as long as they will talk..

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 15, 2006

                    cool, keep us posted, thanks!

                    Lynne