Re: new member intro

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2006

      Welcome Rodney !! :)

      We are so glad to have you here
      and to see that you have become
      a part of our online community!

      Thank you for sharing your family history
      with us
      --- and we are really looking
      forward to hearing more from you!!  =D>

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "rqs79" <rqs79@...> wrote:

      hey, names Rodney. First time member. In the United States,
      I am defined and percieved by most people as "black" or
      `african-american' (I don't use this word) except for
      some who thought I was an Ethiopian or other nationality.
      I have always considered myself "black" even though my
      ancestry is racially mixed(it shows in my physical features
      and my family). My dad is a Louisiana Creole. His ancestry
      includes Africans, French, French-Canadian, Italian, and
      possibly Native American ancestry, due to long history of
      his family that I could trace in Louisiana (1760s and up).
      He is mistaken for various peoples (Arabian, Mexican,
      Puerto Rican, East African...etc.) all of the time.
      My mom is "black as well, but like most people of color
      here. has European ancestry in her lineage (her gg
      grandfather was white. My mom is a dark-skinned
      woman but she doesn't have strong African features and
      her hair is jet black, straight/wavy). Her mother had light
      skin and the same hair, where as, my grandfather
      is dark, with kinky hair, but.. he has gray eyes.)
      Both of my dads parents are of
      Creole ancestry. So that's ditto.

      I have recently been questioning the
      "one drop rule" and the concept of race.
      The rule was only created in order to maintain the social
      order of Europeans has dominant and Africans as slaves.
      Any group of people that fall between those lines was a
      threat to the social fabric. So they had to determine who
      was "black" and who was "white" to control things.
      That's why a lot of "mixed" slaves or free people
      of color were grouped as "colored" or 'negro'.
      African-american doesn't tell you anything about
      my heritage and lineage in the United States.
      My ancestry identity of embracing all the different lineages of
      my family is similar to a biracial person I guess. But.. most
      "black" people play down the mixture for reasons I understand.