new member intro

  • rqs79
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2006
      hey, names Rodney. First time member. In the United States,
      I am defined and percieved by most people as "black” or
      ‘african-american’ (I don’t use this word) except for
      some who thought I was an Ethiopian or other nationality.
      I have always considered myself "black" even though my
      ancestry is racially mixed(it shows in my physical features
      and my family). My dad is a Louisiana Creole. His ancestry
      includes Africans, French, French-Canadian, Italian, and
      possibly Native American ancestry, due to long history of
      his family that I could trace in Louisiana (1760s and up).
      He is mistaken for various peoples (Arabian, Mexican,
      Puerto Rican, East African...etc.) all of the time.
      My mom is "black as well, but like most people of color
      here. has European ancestry in her lineage (her gg
      grandfather was white. My mom is a dark-skinned
      woman but she doesn’t have strong African features and
      her hair is jet black, straight/wavy). Her mother had light
      skin and the same hair, where as, my grandfather
      is dark, with kinky hair, but.. he has gray eyes.)
      Both of my dads parents are of
      Creole ancestry. So that’s ditto.

      I have recently been questioning the
      "one drop rule" and the concept of race.
      The rule was only created in order to maintain the social
      order of Europeans has dominant and Africans as slaves.
      Any group of people that fall between those lines was a
      threat to the social fabric. So they had to determine who
      was "black" and who was "white" to control things.
      That’s why a lot of "mixed" slaves or free people
      of color were grouped as "colored" or 'negro'.
      African-american doesn’t tell you anything about
      my heritage and lineage in the United States.
      My ancestry identity of embracing all the different lineages of
      my family is similar to a biracial person I guess. But.. most
      "black" people play down the mixture for reasons I understand.
    • tlbaker1
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2006

        Hi Rodney, welcome, you sound like me w/your family
        description and such.  Except I don't have Creole ancestry,
        very nice, great that you can trace your lineage back to the 1700's.
        In my family between slavery and people being 1/2
        this and 1/3 that the genealogy can get lost and if you have
        been ostricized for marrying black, white, or native then one
        of those parents / family becomes erased (or simply from divorce).

        I don't care for the 'african-american' title myself,
        too politically correct for me and it also implies that
        my ancestors happily migrated to the us of their
        own free will, which we all know is not the truth.
         Also, I grew up in the generation of being "black",
        'african-american' only came about in the last few years.
        I often joke that I was a colored baby once, lolol, I was born in 64.

        The 'One drop rule' was very much a part of my family as I had
        relatives who could pass for white calling themselves colored or
        black and they were always busting people saying nasty racist
        remarks.  Very confusing for me as a little child, lolol.
        My mother is also very fair , I used to think she was white, lolol.
        If my great grandfather were alive today and born much later than
        the late 1800's he would probably say he was not really black as
        he was 3/4 white and 1/4 black and very fair with light blue eyes.
         Same for my great grandmother, she was mostly native / white.
        My father's side are dark people w/a lot of native, his mother
        had a light medium complexion I have never seen her
        father, I guess he was lightered skinned, who knows.

        I play down the mixture myself as I always thought I was
        weird looking the way I do w/out actually being biracial - all
        the mixture is back in the day (also comes from not knowing
        all of my family history - especially my father's side).
        Also, sometimes people think you are trying to be
        something your not or don't want be who you really are.
        If I would talk about being racially mixed the other person
        would get really quite sometimes. OR I simply don't feel
        like going through the whole family history with a stranger.

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2006

          Welcome Rodney !! :)

          We are so glad to have you here
          and to see that you have become
          a part of our online community!

          Thank you for sharing your family history
          with us
          --- and we are really looking
          forward to hearing more from you!!  =D>