Re: Recommended Reading

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
      That is just too funny -- what a great  coincidence. :)

      Trust me Jeff ... you will absolutely love that book!
      It is a page-turner, a must-read and an eye-opener.=D>

      And once you read it -- you will never be able
      to watch a movie, television show -- or even the
      evening news -- with the same eyes as before.
      :-?

      Also -- two other books that  I would recommend as
      possible reading companions to that book are entitled:

      **"Don't Believe the Hype: Fighting Cultural Misinformation
          about African-Americans" (----- written by Ferai Chideya)
      AND
      **"Black Robes, White Justice" (----- written by Bruce Wright)

      They are both excellents book for discovering how the
      media quite purposefully 'manipulates statistics' and
      presents false stories -- as well as how the government
      seeks to 'miscategorizes people' so that one particular Ethnic
      group is falsely portrayed in the most negative light possible.

      Both are very interesting reads.

      In
      Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      j s <creolescience@ ...> wrote:

      ha- I just recieved 'Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies &
      Bucks:
      An Interpretive History of "blacks" in American
      Films' about 4 days ago off of Amazon.com!
      I guess great minds think alike.

      Just wanted to add that I am about to start reading
      an interesting looking book that seems to touch
      on the theme of  the media's exploitation of events
      when they involve people of any part 'Black' lineage
      and exactly where the history of this behavior began.

      The book is entitled "
      Playing the Race Card:
      Melodramas of Black and White from Uncle Tom
      to O.J Simpson" (-----written by Linda Williams).

      This book -- it seems to me -- may make (I hope) a
      perfect reading companion to the excellent book and
      highly recommended book (with the very unusual
      title of) "
      Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies &
      Bucks
      : An Interpretive History of "blacks" in
      American Films" (----- written by Donald Bogle).

      Another book that looks like it will be very
      interesting for me to read is one entitled
      "
      From Mammy to Miss America and
      Beyond
      (----- written by K. Sue Jewell).

      In
      Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      j s <creolescience@ ...> wrote:

      I'm currently reading a book called
      "Nature knows no color line" by
      J.A.Rogers.

      It goes into detail about ... "black" europeans
      from the middle ages, showing "blacks"
      prominantly displayed on coats-of-arms etc.

      It also talks about how there were thousands
      of slaves, many of whom were raised and
      educated by nobles, who went on to
      become more or less the adopted offspring.

      These people married and had children -
      so where did their gene lines go to ? ;)

      Really execellent book, but I'd also suggest
      any of his books, though many are out of print.

      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Joel_Augustus_ Rogers
    • tlbaker1
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006

        thanks, keep us posted on what you are reading, this is great!!

        Just wanted to add that I am about to start reading
        an interesting looking book that seems to touch
        on the theme of  the media's exploitation of events
        when they involve people of any part 'Black' lineage
        and exactly where the history of this behavior began.

        The a book entitled "Playing the Race Card:
        Melodramas of Black and White from Uncle Tom
        to O.J Simpson" (-----written by Linda Williams).

        This book -- it seems to me -- may make (I hope) a
        perfect reading companion to the excellent book and
        highly recommended book (with the very unusual
        title of) "Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies &
        Bucks
        : An Interpretive History of "blacks" in
        American Films" (----- written by Donald Bogle).

        Another book that looks like it will be very
        interesting for me to read is one entitled
        "From Mammy to Miss America and
        Beyond
        (----- written by K. Sue Jewell).