Re: [Generation-Mixed] Recommended Reading

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
      ha- I just recieved "Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies &
      Bucks
      : An Interpretive History of "blacks" in
      American Films"
      about 4 days ago off of Amazon.com!
      I guess great minds think alike.

      Just wanted to add that I am about to start reading
      an interesting looking book that seems to touch
      on the theme of  the media's exploitation of events
      when they involve people of any part 'Black' lineage
      and exactly where the history of this behavior began.

      The book is entitled "Playing the Race Card:
      Melodramas of Black and White from Uncle Tom
      to O.J Simpson" (-----written by Linda Williams).

      This book -- it seems to me -- may make (I hope) a
      perfect reading companion to the excellent book and
      highly recommended book (with the very unusual
      title of) "Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies &
      Bucks
      : An Interpretive History of "blacks" in
      American Films" (----- written by Donald Bogle).

      Another book that looks like it will be very
      interesting for me to read is one entitled
      "From Mammy to Miss America and
      Beyond
      (----- written by K. Sue Jewell).

      In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      j s <creolescience@ ...> wrote:

      I'm currently reading a book called
      "Nature knows no color line" by J.A.Rogers.

      It goes into detail about ... "black" europeans
      from the middle ages, showing "blacks"
      prominantly displayed on coats-of-arms etc.

      It also talks about how there were thousands
      of slaves, many of whom were raised and
      educated by nobles, who went on to
      become more or less the adopted offspring.

      These people married and had children -
      so where did their gene lines go to ? ;)

      Really execellent book, but I'd also suggest
      any of his books, though many are out of print.

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
        That is just too funny -- what a great  coincidence. :)

        Trust me Jeff ... you will absolutely love that book!
        It is a page-turner, a must-read and an eye-opener.=D>

        And once you read it -- you will never be able
        to watch a movie, television show -- or even the
        evening news -- with the same eyes as before.
        :-?

        Also -- two other books that  I would recommend as
        possible reading companions to that book are entitled:

        **"Don't Believe the Hype: Fighting Cultural Misinformation
            about African-Americans" (----- written by Ferai Chideya)
        AND
        **"Black Robes, White Justice" (----- written by Bruce Wright)

        They are both excellents book for discovering how the
        media quite purposefully 'manipulates statistics' and
        presents false stories -- as well as how the government
        seeks to 'miscategorizes people' so that one particular Ethnic
        group is falsely portrayed in the most negative light possible.

        Both are very interesting reads.

        j s <creolescience@ ...> wrote:

[...]

        "
        From Mammy to Miss America and

        j s <creolescience@ ...> wrote:

        I'm currently reading a book called
        "Nature knows no color line" by
        J.A.Rogers.

        It goes into detail about ... "black" europeans
        from the middle ages, showing "blacks"
        prominantly displayed on coats-of-arms etc.

        It also talks about how there were thousands
        of slaves, many of whom were raised and
        educated by nobles, who went on to
        become more or less the adopted offspring.

        These people married and had children -
        so where did their gene lines go to ? ;)

        Really execellent book, but I'd also suggest
        any of his books, though many are out of print.

        http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Joel_Augustus_ Rogers
      • tlbaker1
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2006

          thanks, keep us posted on what you are reading, this is great!!

          Just wanted to add that I am about to start reading
          an interesting looking book that seems to touch
          on the theme of  the media's exploitation of events
          when they involve people of any part 'Black' lineage
          and exactly where the history of this behavior began.

          The a book entitled "Playing the Race Card: