The Truth About Mixed-Race Socialite: 'Nicole Richie'

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2006

      The Truth About Mixed-Raced
      Socialite / Author: Nicole Richie

      Socialite (and now, author -- of the best-selling book
      "The Truth About Diamonds'), Nicole Richie is a
      person who is of MGM-Mixed genotype (lineage) and
      who has a largely European phenotype (appearance).

      http://www.realhomepage.de/members/nicolerichie

      Nicole's biological mother is said to
      be full-"white" (i.e. "mono"-racial) –
      although some sources have quoted
      her as being of mixed-Creole heritage.

      Nicole's biological father's lineage is a combination
      of two MGM-Mixed ethnic / cultural groups-of-color
      (His mother is of MGM-Mixed African-American 'Ethnicity'
      and his father is of the MGM-Mixed Latino 'Culture').

      [NOTE: MGM=MULTI-GENerationally MIXED /
      MIXED=Multi-racial/ethnic admixtured]

      Her father is --Pete Escovedo -- the
      brother of (now, born-again Christian)
      musician / singer / drummer 'Sheila E.'.

      Lionel and Brenda Richie met both Nicole
      and her biological parents when they all
      were on tour together way back in 1984.

      Nicole Richie is not 'Black'
      raced (i.e. "mono"-racial)
      nor is she an FGM / bi-racial.

      Go to fullsize image2

      [NOTE: FGM=FIRST-GENerationally MIXED /
      MIXED=Multi-racial/ethnic admixtured]

      She ----- just like BOTH of her 'adoptive'
      parents and one of her 'biological' parents
      ----- is of an MGM-`Mixed'-raced
      (i.e. "multi"-racial) lineage.

      Nicole Richie's full lineage is as follows:
      1/4 Hispanic (a mixed-raced `cultural' group);
      1/4 African-American (a mixed-raced
      `ethnic' group) and 1/2 White American
      (a mono-racial `race' group).

      Like Mariah Carey, Nicole's 'biological'
      mother's racial categorization is that of
      "white American" and her 'biological' father's
      racial lineage is "a combination of two largely
      MGM-Mixed ethnic/cultural groups-of-color".

      Her paternal 'biological' grandmother was
      100% of the MGM-Mixed African-American
      (AA) 'Ethnic' grouping and -- also her
      paternal 'biological' grandfather was
      of the MGM-Mixed Latino 'Culture'.

      As noted, Nicole Richie's 'biological' father
      is none other than musician -- Pete Escovedo—
      who is the brother of musician/singer/drummer
      'Sheila E.' and Lionel and Brenda Richie met
      Nicole and her 'biological' parents when they
      all were on tour together way back in 1984
      and Nicole's 'biological' parents
      were a part of 'Prince's' entourage.

      Nicole has always had some amount
      of contact with her 'biological' parents --
      although she does make it abundantly
      clear that she considers Brenda &
      Lionel Richie to be her 'real' parents.

      The Richies took Nicole in as a
      'foster child' when she was between
      3 and 4 years old and her adoption was
      completed when she was around 8 years old.

      Brenda Harvey, Lionel and Nicole RichieGo to fullsize image

      http://www.eonline.com/On/Holly/Shows/Richie/

      When she and Lionel Richie were interviewed
      on the Oprah Winfrey show, Nicole shared a lot
      about this and also noted how hurtful it was
      to everyone when Lionel cheated on and
      publicly humiliated Brenda -- and how Lionel
      Richie's infidelity eventually devastated their
      once very happy family structure and she
      later started taking drugs and partying.

      http://people.aol.com/people/gallery/0,26335,1035878_10,00.html
      http://www.eonline.com/On/Holly/Shows/Richie/index2.html

      Even without the addition of "mono"-racially
      'White' blood in her lineage --- Nicole Richie
      would still have not been 'Black' raced
      (i.e. "mono"-racial) – for the simple fact
      that BOTHof the parents of her 'biological'
      father (Pete Escovedo) were of a
      `Mixed'-raced (i.e. "multi"-racial) lineage.

      Pete Escovedo was/is 'Mixed' via BOTH sides
      of his family through BOTH of his parents --
      as he had a father who was "Mixed" via his
      100%-Latino lineage -- and he had a mother who
      was "Mixed" mother via her 100%-AA lineage.

      In other words, BOTH of Pete's parents were
      already "Mixed" (i.e. "multi"-racial) people.

      BOTH the 'Latinos' AND the group which
      is currently being mis-nomered under
      the term `African-American' ARE
      `Mixed'-Raced (i.e. "multi"-racial)
      "ETHNIC" groupings of people.

      The ONLY way that any of Nicole's of-color
      `parents' (either the 'biological' Escovedos
      and/or the 'adopted' Richies) could have
      ever been considered as 'BLACK'/ i.e.
      "mono"-racial (which none of them are) rather
      than 'Mixed'/i.e. "multi"-racial (which all of
      them are) would be BY ADHERING TO the RACIST
      'measurements' of the false ONE-DROP RULE(R).

      http://www.s-t.com/daily/12-02/12-18-02/a12op061.htm

      It needs to be understood that in addition to
      not being either "mono"-racially 'Black' or
      "mono"-racially 'white', Nicole Richie is
      also NOT not an FGM "bi-racial" – but rather,
      she (like both her `biological' dad and her
      `adoptive' parents) is "multi"-racial
      (in their case, tri-racial) [The same
      is true for singer `Mariah Carey'].

      None of Nicole's parents (including 'adoptive'
      and 'biological') who have been labeled
      with the "mono"-racial term 'Black' are
      actually "Black" (i.e. "mono"-racial).

      They are all --like Nicole-- "multi"-racial.

      Her adoptive parents are both of the MGM-Mixed
      raced `Ethnic' group currently referred to
      by the term 'African-American' (AA) and her
      biological dad has both that MGM-Mixed 'ethnic'
      lineage and an MGM-Mixed 'cultural' heritage.

      Nicole's full-name is "Nicole-Camille Escovedo-Richie"

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2006
        Hi Everyone-

        I was riding the bus and saw something interesting I thought I would pass along...

        There was this mixed boy listening to some music on the bus. He could pass for White...kinda like Nicole Ritchie. So this African-American girl likes the song, gets up to sit next to him and starts dancing in her seat. And the girls asks him if he is mixed--he says he is, and that his Mom is White and his dad is Black. She laughs and says--My Dad is Black too! Then gets off the bus.
        This is where it gets interesting--After the girls gets off the bus, the boy says to his
        friend--Thats why I like riding the bus. I really like Black people.

        I am thinking to myself--what does that say about you! And my son is sitting next to him, and I am thinking--of the paradox. Two mixed people who could pass for White--pass as monoracial. Only my son is aware of his MGM heritage, and I do my best to teach him about the different aspects of his identity. It would be a sad day if my son made any kind of remark like that to me...but then again, when I see it--the boy didn't even seem to understand how ignorant he sounded.

        Just a Thought...Lynn
      • tlbaker1
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006

          wow, has a lot to with his upbringing.  Funny how skin color seems to determine how people identify themselves sometimes - not everyone depends on the individual.  Or it could be the "you are what your mother is" thing.  If he were darker I wonder if he would identify himself differently.

          Lynne

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
            It depends on the person(s) defination of Black people.   There are many people who use that term in a diasporic way, it's not a 1 drop use.  Many Europeans(mixed) as well as African(mixed) used it in that way

            wintyreeve@... wrote:
[...]

            "Man would rather be a little higher than the apes, than a little lower than the angels." -"I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference. Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark." -Walter White: