Re: [Generation-Mixed] HELLO - NEW MEMBER

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
      RE: Funny you should say that because I feel I still don't know enough.
      I still don't really know anything about my maternal grandmother's
      family nor anything about my paternal grandparents only tidbits
      from my father and what I saw in real life and pictures.

      For all that you don't know...create a new
      history or legacy for yourself and your family.

      Write down those tidbits you know. Maybe do some historical
      research or talk with other family members to fill in the details?
      Or trace your own journey to understanding who you are, and what
      your family history is to be part of your new history. I know it
      feels like a big loss to not know anything...but that loss IS
      part of our greater identity, and experience of being mixed.
      Seriously--it seems like being mixed is a struggle
      to hold onto your identity of being mixed, and not
      having who you are erased or redefined or denied.
      So what you are asking and looking for...IS SOMETHING.
      And what you create, or what understanding you come to
      --will not only be important to your own family but will
      help preserve our greater identity of being Mixed.
      And also will help other people understand alot of the
      struggles Mixed people have face..and why it is so important
      to come out with our own identity, and not compromise that.

      I support you and encourage you 100%.

      God Bless~ Lynn
    • tlbaker1
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006

        I would like to know more about my family history than I do.  I don't really know how these people made a living (farming, I assume in the south), their interests, their names some of them.  Only person left is my grandfather who is 85 ( got most of the information from him) and a great aunt, and of course my mother, .  My father's side I know even less - like you said through pictures (doesn't really tell the whole story) and real life back in the day when I was a small child.

        Harder to keep track when you are mixed sometimes with the 1/2's and 1/3's of races in the family.  Depends on how much your family can remember and is willing to talk about.  Thanks for your post.

        Lynne