your mom's race

  • Briana Mays
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2006
      Im Briana (the one from alabama), and i have a question for anyone who would like to contribute to mah (brain?) haha.
      Anywho,  mah (dilemma?): i find it hard to have a white mother and be mixed, but maybe because im in the south. i sometimes  feel like she is against me (and not in the whole mother and daughters never get along sense) and  like she couldnt possibly understand anything. i also sometimes even feel like she's a racist. it drives me up the wall.
      weird.
      but i was wondering about ya'll's experiences with your moms. one of mah friends has a black mom and she doesnt ever have any troubles at all. but maybe you all have had a convo like this but i missed it.
      So please fill me in.  : ) thanks
      briana

    • tlbaker1
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 22, 2006

        Well, again, funny you should bring this up, LOLOL.  I was just thinking about this stuff.  My mother is very fair (mixed race) and I always thought she envied me because my skin was darker than hers, which I thought was unusual it is usually the other way around, and because I have very long hair.  She was quite abusive and my brother was the favorite – a precious man, LOL.  Typical mother/daughter competition stuff growing up, quite painful, actually left scars.

        But for your situation, maybe she feels bad about being w/your father (I only say this because you said she might be a racist).  Maybe she sees him in you.  Is she still w/your father, is he in your life?  Maybe by you being a person of color your interests/beliefs are different.  Also being a person of color your experiences with society will be different from hers. Just making wild guesses here as I don’t really know what type of relationship you have w/your mother other than what you stated, hope this helps.

        Lynne