HELLO - NEW MEMBER

  • TLBaker
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19 6:39 PM

      Hello All,

      My name is Lynne, I live in NYC, I am 42 years old.  I have been skimming through some of the posts online and it seems that this will be an interesting group for me – great introduction on the website, some of the terminology I have never even heard of.  Always thought of myself as just black – I guess most of us were or at least I was raised that way.  People don’t want to hear the other stuff anyway – they think they do when they ask curious questions; they don’t really want to hear about it though, think you are trying to be something different.  Anyway, here’s a little about my background:

      My great-great grandfather on my grandfather’s (his grandfather) side of the family was ½ white-1/2 black / great-great grandmother was English/white (his grandmother).  My grandfather told me that he was able to vote (before black voting rights) because his grandmother was white, he is 85.

      Great grandfather (child of this union above) then marries my great grandmother – mixed with mostly white/native (Crow), some black I suppose – had 11 children most very fair could pass for white, the “dark” ones were like a caramel color 2 children, lolol, that I could remember.  Was pretty confusing and strange for a 5 year old child (me) in 1969 when I would go to visit these “white” people who were supposed to be black down south.  I do not look like them, my skin is more medium red/yellow.  My mother is very fair and I used to think that she was white when I was a child.  I think I asked my grandmother once (my father’s mother) and she answered me “nooo, she’s just yellowwww”…  I crack up now because of course I didn’t know what she meant until I grew up – was a slur for my mother, not very nice though.  I don’t know why she said that because she was not so dark herself – mother in laws, lolol.

      My grandfather marries my grandmother whom I don’t know much about her background or that side of the family - she was cocoa colored but probably mixed w/native and I think my mother said that my great grandmother on that side was fair.  The genes have a mind of their own as my mother, aunt, and uncle are fair like my grandfather, one aunt was dark like my grandmother, one aunt is medium colored.

      Then my mother marries my cocoa colored father (don’t know too much about that part of the family either only what I can see in pictures and what my father tells me – mind isn’t too good right now - stroke) – I actually have a beautiful picture of his family w/three generations all in one picture.  My grandmother, great grandmother whom was ½ Cherokee, and great-great grandmother along w/my uncle as a boy and my father at about 3 years old taken in Harlem where he, my grandmother, and I believe my great-grandmother grew up.  Anyway, out of that union there is me and my younger brother (his daughter is ½ Dominican).

      My family seems to have a legacy of interracial marriage/mixed race people – back in the day and present day.  My cousin’s husband is Italian first generation, my little second cousin is biracial (his brother and sister are biracial [different fathers] – not related to my family tho) and there is my niece.

      But one thing I do admire about my family is that there weren’t any issues with color, family was family and that was it.  Only issue was that my great grandfather believed that if you were dark skinned you should marry a dark skinned person, if you are light you should marry light – old thinking but he didn’t disown my grandfather or anything.  They lived in a town in NC where everyone was of mixed race whether it was due to slavery or “marriage”.  I am sure my poor grandmother had a grand ole’ time w/those folk with her lovely dark skin as she lived in that town with my grandfather back then, they divorced when my mother was a child.

      I can tell you more interesting stories and I am sure you have some to share w/me, but I will stop writing now as I don’t want to bore you to death.  Hope to meet some of you soon.

    • Briana Mays

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 22 5:52 PM

          Funny you should say that because I feel I still don’t know enough.  I still don’t really know anything about my maternal grandmother’s family nor anything about my paternal grandparents only tidbits from my father and what I saw in real life and pictures.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
            RE: Funny you should say that because I feel I still don't know enough.
            I still don't really know anything about my maternal grandmother's
            family nor anything about my paternal grandparents only tidbits
            from my father and what I saw in real life and pictures.

            For all that you don't know...create a new
            history or legacy for yourself and your family.

            Write down those tidbits you know. Maybe do some historical
            research or talk with other family members to fill in the details?
            Or trace your own journey to understanding who you are, and what
            your family history is to be part of your new history. I know it
            feels like a big loss to not know anything...but that loss IS
            part of our greater identity, and experience of being mixed.
            Seriously--it seems like being mixed is a struggle
            to hold onto your identity of being mixed, and not
            having who you are erased or redefined or denied.
            So what you are asking and looking for...IS SOMETHING.
            And what you create, or what understanding you come to
            --will not only be important to your own family but will
            help preserve our greater identity of being Mixed.
            And also will help other people understand alot of the
            struggles Mixed people have face..and why it is so important
            to come out with our own identity, and not compromise that.

            I support you and encourage you 100%.

            God Bless~ Lynn
          • tlbaker1
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2006

              I would like to know more about my family history than I do.  I don't really know how these people made a living (farming, I assume in the south), their interests, their names some of them.  Only person left is my grandfather who is 85 ( got most of the information from him) and a great aunt, and of course my mother, .  My father's side I know even less - like you said through pictures (doesn't really tell the whole story) and real life back in the day when I was a small child.

              Harder to keep track when you are mixed sometimes with the 1/2's and 1/3's of races in the family.  Depends on how much your family can remember and is willing to talk about.  Thanks for your post.

              Lynne