Re: proposed comic book - "History of the Mulatto"

  • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26 11:47 AM
      This is great, Jeff. Glad to hear you're doing this.

      I would love for *someone* to make the point that not all of us who
      are Multi-generationally mixed are so because of a slave owner in the
      family. In my case, my Mother's great-Grandfather (maternal side) was
      Irish, her great Grandmother was mostly Native. Neither were slave owners.

      Raven

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      j s <creolescience@...> wrote:

      I am working on an all-ages ( say 6th grade and up ) short graphic
      novel depicting the general history of the mulatto in the new world. I
      will use the broad definition of mulatto as a person who is mixed
      black and white as opposed to the strict bi-racial / 50-50 definition.

      In it I plan on including the slave trade, the one-drop rule,
      history of the Creoles and tri-racial isolates, the early civil-rights
      movement (which was basically created and led by mulattoes), the
      Harlem Renaissance as well as the modern developing "mixed-race movement".

      If anyone has any areas they feel need to be stressed or ideas
      please feel free to write me directly.

      Regards,
      Jeff

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26 12:25 PM
          Hmmm. Interesting. My family hails from Kentucky, and the mix was
          White (Irish) man and (my Uncle's word's) mostly Native woman.
          But there's more Irish and English in my family from other sources.
          I'm a quarter Cherokee, my Dad was half Cherokee
          and West-Indian/Black from out of Brooklyn, New York.

          Raven