proposed comic book - "History of the Mulatto"

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
       I am working on an all-ages ( say 6th grade and up ) short graphic novel depicting the general history of the mulatto in the new world. I will use the broad definition of mulatto as a person who is mixed black and white as opposed to the strict bi-racial / 50-50 definition.

       In it I plan on including the slave trade, the one-drop rule, history of the Creoles and tri-racial isolates, the early civil-rights movement (which was basically created and led by mulattoes), the Harlem Renaissance as well as the modern developing "mixed-race movement".

      If anyone has any areas they feel need to be stressed or ideas please feel free to write me directly.

      Regards,
      Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
        Hi Jeff,

        Wow!!  This is great news and it is so good to hear how you
        are / have been coming so far along with the comic series that
        you are creating –– as well as to hear about all the areas of
        Mulatto-based history that you are planning to include in it.

        It looks to me like you most certainly have covered /
        are covering all the major topical areas – and -- what
        may be particularly intriguing for many readers –
        I think – will be their discovery (through your comic
        book) of how so many successful historical events
        and movements (such as 'The Harlem Renaissance'
        and 'The American Civil Rights Movement'; etc.) were
        largely led by those who were of a Mulatto lineage.

        Even fewer people seem to realize that (
        as sad as it
        is to have to say
        ) even the rather divisive (and racist,
        'one-drop rule' embracing
        ) `Black-Power' movement
        (
        which was revived in the late 1960's / early 1970's and
        openly exploited by the American / Western media and
        political system to try to usurp and replace the earlier
        and extremely successful  'Civil Rights Movement'
        )
        was also largely led by people who quite openly and
        clearly of a known (and even visible) Mulatto lineage
        (ex. Malcom Little/Malcolm X'; Muhammed Elijah; etc,)

        And – I'm sure many will agree with me when I say –
        – I can hardly wait to see what you are creating -- it is
        so exciting to hear what your are doing and of the big
        picture direction in which you are taking this endeavor.

        -- A P

        P.S.

        A good resource for information on the people of
        Mulatto-lineage who were actively involved in and
        lead `The American Civil Rights Movement'  ––
        would be the VHS/DVD Video documentary series
        known as `Eyes on the Prize' (which can be found
        available at most Public and University Libraries).

        Also -- your inclusion of  some of the numerous
        (and extremely diverse) Mixed-Race that are
        largely of a Mulatto-based ancestral-lineage
        (ex. Tri-Racials, Tri-Racial Isolates, Creoles, etc.)
        -- is simply fantastic and very much appreciated.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
          Thanks for your comments.

            One of the areas I plan to address is the almost "forced" choice many
          mixed people made in the 60's and 70's to become "black", either
          through a sense of obligation to the cause or pressure from their peers.

            I will do an overview and see how much content I can fit in a 60 page book.
          If it appears that the content excees the space then I will keep it
          general and make second and third volumes focusing on specifics.
          One of my biggest challenges will be how to utilize graphics
          since it won't be an actual plot driven story but more of an
          historical overview with pictures to accompany and emphasize.

          j s <creolescience@ ...> wrote:

            I am working on an all-ages ( say 6th grade and up ) short graphic
          novel depicting the general history of the mulatto in the new world.
          I will use the broad definition of mulatto as a person who is mixed
          black and white as opposed to the strict bi-racial / 50-50 definition.

            In it I plan on including the slave trade, the one-drop rule,
          history of the Creoles and tri-racial isolates, the early
          civil-rights movement (which was basically created and
          led by mulattoes), the Harlem Renaissance as well
          as the modern developing "mixed-race movement".

            If anyone has any areas they feel need to be stressed
          or ideas please feel free to write me directly.

          Regards,
          Jeff

        • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
            This is great, Jeff. Glad to hear you're doing this.

            I would love for *someone* to make the point that not all of us who
            are Multi-generationally mixed are so because of a slave owner in the
            family. In my case, my Mother's great-Grandfather (maternal side) was
            Irish, her great Grandmother was mostly Native. Neither were slave owners.

            Raven

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 26, 2006
                Hmmm. Interesting. My family hails from Kentucky, and the mix was
                White (Irish) man and (my Uncle's word's) mostly Native woman.
                But there's more Irish and English in my family from other sources.
                I'm a quarter Cherokee, my Dad was half Cherokee
                and West-Indian/Black from out of Brooklyn, New York.

                Raven