Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: A question that I would love to know the answer to.

Expand Messages
  • Philip Arnell
    Jeff, This is great, I am looking forward to seeing your comic books j s wrote: Life is good ( but a bit warm and wet ). BTW for the
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 1, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Jeff,
       
      This is great, I am looking forward to seeing your comic books

      j s <creolescience@...> wrote:
      Life is good ( but a bit warm and wet ).

      BTW for the general audience, though it's still a few months away, I plan on
      launching a comic book(s) that will be populated with a mostly mixed cast.
      While I won't be dwelling on the racial issues as a primary plot focus, it will be touched
      upon, especially the marginality and identity issues we face. I also plan to have various
      underrepresented ethnicities as well just because I think it's needed and I own it, so I can do it.
       
      I'll update as soon as I get closer,
      Jeff 

      Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:
      LOLOLOL that was a good one, how are you?

      j s <creolescience@...> wrote:
      "In guadelupe they tend to have a slaves mentality
      and will flock to a white person in a second or
      will throw themselves at a lighter complected person.
      that is one of the things that I dont like about living there"
       
      Sounds like I'd do pretty well there then. I guess I'll check the flights  ;)

      Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:
      Wow Peter this floors me. I had no idea of this.
      Neither does my wife, she is actually from france.
      You know I have heard people from the caribbean say
      dont have children with a dark person becasue it will
      ruin the look of the family, I have always hated that.

      One thing I dont like about my wifes family in guadeloupe
      is that they are a bit on the closet racist side.
      Meaning they all seem to have this entality that
      get with a white guy to have a beautiful child,
      one of them did this just for that reason, now she
      really ignores her first child whos father is black.
      My wifes family on her mothers side
      are african and east indian decent.

      In guadelupe they tend to have a slaves mentality
      and will flock to a white person in a second or
      will throw themselves at a lighter complected person.
      that is one of the things that I dont like about living there.


      Peter Barrett <barac1998@...> wrote:

      Yes really, I'm afraid he is right. The Blue vein Society and
      other organizations. That is part of our old American history.
      It however has had a profound effect on on us to this day.
      You could say not old stuff like that was still going on in the 60's.

      They were trying to get as close to the European look that they
      could. It had an effect on both light and dark. If you had
      kinky hair you trying to get it straight, if you had straight
      or wavy hair you were trying to make it frizzy or coarse
      to have an Afro during the Black Power time period.

      Most of us are mixed so ther is a great chance you
      would marry some one who is mixed as well in America.

      My wife and I both are as well. I didn't see
      it that way when we married. She has British/
      Caribbean/Panamania n/Jewish/ African Ancestry.
      You wouldn't think that by meeting her.
      We all know the deal.

      By the [way] Lynn, when are you going to shoot us
      another beautiful poem of yours / I need a lift.
      Take care.

      Peter

      In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      Philip Arnell <trigueno03@ ...> wrote:

      no way really?? OMG!! I have never heard that one before.
      We all have our preferences, but come on,
      I married a woman who is also from a mixed background, it just
      happend to be that way, she honestly could have been anything.
      She still would have been a pain in the neck , lolol .
      I married for character, most people dont do that ever.

      j s <creolescience@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      The hair texture and skin color issues are also alive and well
      in the south. I remember hearing about the "Paper bag test"
      (if you are darker than th ebag you are too dark), 'comb
      test'(if a comb can't run through your hair it's too nappy)
      and "The Blue Vein Society" which meant that you had to be
      able to show a blue vein on your wrist to be a member.

      Philip Arnell <trigueno03@yahoo. com> wrote:

      I hear you Lynn,

      For caribbean families some things are a little more tolerant
      to a degree, but in all truth , the caribbean is a very
      predjudiced environment, some islands more than others,
      and there is the same thinking from different directinos,
      My Barbados family doesnt particularly like fair skinned people.
      Though they originated more than half from white settlers. They
      kind of ostricized my mother and her family to a degree. To this
      very day over 100 years later they still refer my grandmother as
      the white girll on the hill, even people that never even met her.

      My Anguilla family , are extreemly color conscious. They dont seem
      to favor the dark complexion and they are very caught up in hair.
      The St. Martin family is along the same guidelines but a little
      diferent depending on what section of the family. I would have
      to say the Aruba section of my family is the most open minded

      My cousins that grew up in the states here have no real concept of
      who they are and just put themselves in a catagory, and decided
      to be content with that, shunning where they really came from.
      Partially becasue their parents never educated
      them and this passed down to their kids.
      The other reason is they chose to be ignorant, then there is another
      group that just abandoned their culture all together. And cringe
      at meeting unknown relatives that remind them of who they are.
      Some relatives I have met on the street in the business
      disticts of NYC, they were with co workers and just
      introduced me by my name, not by my relation to them.

      I have always been open to my background and have even
      been called a liar to it, and told i had to choose,
      I guess that is the slave mentality in them
      or the slave maters mentality for others.
      Peo[ple always get uncomfrotable when it comes to this.

      Did I ever send you my books through email? Please let me know.

      wintyreeve@aol. com wrote:

      [[RE: As a person of a multiracial background,
      I have met many ignorant people. They were
      not educated in regard to people in general.
      My question for the group is, within your own families,
      have you ever felt predjudice from your own?
      Have anyone in your families ever try to keep you
      or others at a distance keeping a family apart?
      If so, how did you handle it? ]]

      I would honestly say that I get a "mixed" response from my family.
      Those people who do seem to resist talking about our multi-racial
      lineage, people who seem to hide from their own identity.
      People who stubbornly cling to their own notion of
      "reality" and exclude all else---to me seem to be
      coming from a place or fear and/or ignorance.
      I would not say that my family is predjudiced
      against being mixed race. Rather, it seems they

      1) Do not know their own mixed race identity and if given a
      choice would prefer to be labelled by the obvious skin color
      2) May have some idea of their own mixed race identity
      but out of fear, shame or denial choose to ignore it,
      and go by the "monoracial" type they are labelled as.

      And alot of this has to do with past
      experience and things passed down

      I would also say that living in the North is very
      different than living in the South, and that maybe
      the attitudes, and traditions of the environment
      also has shaped my family's reactions.

      I do my best to be open minded, and
      learn about other people's perspectives.
      If someone is willing to talk—I will offer my point
      of view but I really don't try to change people.
      I know that change is something you have to want for yourself.
      And I also know that what I think, feel, etc. is not
      the "One Answer"...there is a lot, also, I can learn.

      Blessings~ Lynn



      How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

    • multiracialbookclub
      Agreed -- Jeff this is great news -- and thanks for letting us know about it!!! [=D ] You have such a funny sense of humor -- that I just know it s going to
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 6, 2006
      • 0 Attachment

        Agreed -- Jeff this is great news --
        and thanks for letting us know about it!!! =D>

        You have such a funny sense of humor -- that
        I just know it's going to be a great success!! :)

        We are behind you 100% -- and so, please do
        make sure to keep us posted on your progress!!

        Have a great day!!

         In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:

        Jeff,

        This is great, I am looking forward
        to seeing your comic books

        j s <creolescience@...> wrote:

        ... though it's still a few months away, I plan on launching a
        comic book(s) that will be populated with a mostly mixed cast.
        While I won't be dwelling on the racial issues
        as a primary plot focus, it will be touched upon,
        especially the marginality and identity issues we face.
        I also plan to have various underrepresented ethnicities as
        well just because I think it's needed and I own it, so I can do it.

        I'll update as soon as I get closer,
        Jeff 
      • Philip Arnell
        Hello everyone, I hope you all are well. Yesterday I was speaking to a friend of mine in regard to another friend that she had a conflict with. the first
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 11, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Hello everyone, I hope you all are well.
           
          Yesterday I was speaking to a friend of mine in regard
          to another friend that she had a conflict with. the first
          friend is ' very much into 'the black movement' respectfully.
          She is partially of celtic decent she told me.
          The other friend is ' of a mixed background,
          she looks like she could be my sister.
          they had issues with one another over something .
          The second friend moved to Georgia becasue she met a man
          on the internet and just took up with him. A white fellow,
          her first husband was white and in their
          turmoils went as far to call her a n**ger.
          the first friend told me about this, then she ended the
          conversation with thats what you get when you go
          outside your 'race', stay within your own.
          Along with a few other statements after that, she
          was so intense with how she made the comments.
           
          The point I am making is this, with the bad choice that
          friend #2 made in her first marriage, why would friend #1
          make a comment in regard to being in or out of anothers race.
           
          The second story is a person who was trying to run away
          from herself. this was a girl that I knew in college.
          she was mixed , but made it a point to make sure that
          she wore an irish pin around , and refused to associate
          with any other people of color, even the teachers.
          I remember when one of the "black" organizations
          approached her for some school event and she went
          nuts feeling insulted that they approached her.

          Her issues I am sure have followed her through
          life and truly she will never find happiness,
          if she has for her sake I hope that she can
          exist healthy in her fears as many people do.
          that fear is thinking that they will be 'found out'
          for something when the world already knows.

          Peter Barrett <barac1998@...> wrote:
          Phillip I was wondering have you ever read The color Complex:
          The Politics of Skin Color Among African Americans by
          Kathy Russell,Midge Wilson Ph.D., and Ronald Hall Ph.D..

          It is quite informative on this subject.

          Your wife being from France is quite interesting.
          It is my understanding that there all French citizens are
          considered French no matter what their ethnicity by law.
          Which here in America is said but not actually acted out.
          What is your take on that?

          The Guadealupe thing is quite familiar
          as we have already said in many places.

          Again the color barrier has left scares here.
          Some places iit isn't as prevelant as others.

          I went to a Creole convention a couple of years ago.
          I know that may sound strange but that is what it is called.

          I thought there might be a color issue. I never felt more at home.
          People were of every combination you could think of.
          It was about culture and ancestral ties not phenotype.
          Creoles have had such a bad rap that I wasn't sure what to expect.
          It was all family. I was pleasantly suprised and amazed.
          This was not always the case but they are trying to bury the
          hatchett if you will. Which is how the world should be anyway.

          I'm also curious does your wife have to deal with people assuming
          the French are always rude? If so, how does she approach that issue?

          j s <creolescience@ ...> wrote:

          "In guadelupe they tend to have a slaves mentality
          and will flock to a white person in a second or
          will throw themselves at a lighter complected person.
          that is one of the things that I dont like about living there"


          Sounds like I'd do pretty well there then.
          I guess I'll check the flights ;)

          Philip Arnell <trigueno03@yahoo. com> wrote:

          Wow Peter this floors me. I had no idea of this.
          Neither does my wife, she is actually from france.
          You know I have heard people from the caribbean say
          dont have children with a dark person becasue it will
          ruin the look of the family, I have always hated that.

          One thing I dont like about my wifes family in guadeloupe
          is that they are a bit on the closet racist side.
          Meaning they all seem to have this entality that
          get with a white guy to have a beautiful child,
          one of them did this just for that reason, now she
          really ignores her first child whos father is black.
          My wifes family on her mothers side
          are african and east indian decent.

          In guadelupe they tend to have a slaves mentality
          and will flock to a white person in a second or
          will throw themselves at a lighter complected person.
          that is one of the things that I dont like about living there.

          Peter Barrett <barac1998@aol. com> wrote:

          Yes really, I'm afraid he is right. The Blue vein Society and
          other organizations. That is part of our old American history.
          It however has had a profound effect on on us to this day.
          You could say not old stuff like that was still going on in the 60's.

          They were trying to get as close to the European look that they
          could. It had an effect on both light and dark. If you had
          kinky hair you trying to get it straight, if you had straight
          or wavy hair you were trying to make it frizzy or coarse
          to have an Afro during the Black Power time period.

          Most of us are mixed so ther is a great chance you
          would marry some one who is mixed as well in America.

          My wife and I both are as well. I didn't see
          it that way when we married. She has British/
          Caribbean/Panamania n/Jewish/ African Ancestry.
          You wouldn't think that by meeting her.
          We all know the deal.

          By the [way] Lynn, when are you going to shoot us
          another beautiful poem of yours / I need a lift.
          Take care.

          Peter

          In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
          Philip Arnell <trigueno03@ ...> wrote:

          no way really?? OMG!! I have never heard that one before.
          We all have our preferences, but come on,
          I married a woman who is also from a mixed background, it just
          happend to be that way, she honestly could have been anything.
          She still would have been a pain in the neck , lolol .
          I married for character, most people dont do that ever.

          j s <creolescience@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          The hair texture and skin color issues are also alive and well
          in the south. I remember hearing about the "Paper bag test"
          (if you are darker than th ebag you are too dark), 'comb
          test'(if a comb can't run through your hair it's too nappy)
          and "The Blue Vein Society" which meant that you had to be
          able to show a blue vein on your wrist to be a member.

          Philip Arnell <trigueno03@yahoo. com> wrote:

          I hear you Lynn,

          For caribbean families some things are a little more tolerant
          to a degree, but in all truth , the caribbean is a very
          predjudiced environment, some islands more than others,
          and there is the same thinking from different directinos,
          My Barbados family doesnt particularly like fair skinned people.
          Though they originated more than half from white settlers. They
          kind of ostricized my mother and her family to a degree. To this
          very day over 100 years later they still refer my grandmother as
          the white girll on the hill, even people that never even met her.

          My Anguilla family , are extreemly color conscious. They dont seem
          to favor the dark complexion and they are very caught up in hair.
          The St. Martin family is along the same guidelines but a little
          diferent depending on what section of the family. I would have
          to say the Aruba section of my family is the most open minded

          My cousins that grew up in the states here have no real concept of
          who they are and just put themselves in a catagory, and decided
          to be content with that, shunning where they really came from.
          Partially becasue their parents never educated
          them and this passed down to their kids.
          The other reason is they chose to be ignorant, then there is another
          group that just abandoned their culture all together. And cringe
          at meeting unknown relatives that remind them of who they are.
          Some relatives I have met on the street in the business
          disticts of NYC, they were with co workers and just
          introduced me by my name, not by my relation to them.

          I have always been open to my background and have even
          been called a liar to it, and told i had to choose,
          I guess that is the slave mentality in them
          or the slave maters mentality for others.
          Peo[ple always get uncomfrotable when it comes to this.

          Did I ever send you my books
          through email? Please let me know.

          wintyreeve@aol. com wrote:

          [[RE: As a person of a multiracial background,
          I have met many ignorant people. They were
          not educated in regard to people in general.
          My question for the group is, within your own families,
          have you ever felt predjudice from your own?
          Have anyone in your families ever try to keep you
          or others at a distance keeping a family apart?
          If so, how did you handle it? ]]

          I would honestly say that I get a "mixed" response from my family.
          Those people who do seem to resist talking about our multi-racial
          lineage, people who seem to hide from their own identity.
          People who stubbornly cling to their own notion of
          "reality" and exclude all else---to me seem to be
          coming from a place or fear and/or ignorance.
          I would not say that my family is predjudiced
          against being mixed race. Rather, it seems they

          1) Do not know their own mixed race identity and if given a
          choice would prefer to be labelled by the obvious skin color
          2) May have some idea of their own mixed race identity
          but out of fear, shame or denial choose to ignore it,
          and go by the "monoracial" type they are labelled as.

          And alot of this has to do with past
          experience and things passed down

          I would also say that living in the North is very
          different than living in the South, and that maybe
          the attitudes, and traditions of the environment
          also has shaped my family's reactions.

          I do my best to be open minded, and
          learn about other people's perspectives.
          If someone is willing to talk—I will offer my point
          of view but I really don't try to change people.
          I know that change is something you have to want for yourself.
          And I also know that what I think, feel, etc. is not
          the "One Answer"...there is a lot, also, I can learn.

          Blessings~ Lynn



          Do you Yahoo!?
          Next-gen email? Have it all with the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

        • GardeniaSLP
          I find the comments you all have made interesting and sad at the same time. First of all, I am biracial. However, I grew up in Puerto Rico, where my family
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 27, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            I find the comments you all have made interesting and sad at the same time.  First of all, I am biracial.  However, I grew up in Puerto Rico, where my family fit in just fine.  No one believed me when I said that I was american, so I just went along with it to, since I was there at the beginning of grade school.  In my family we were every color of the rainbow, and had a variety of eye colors and hair textures.  While some narrowminded people marry "lighter skinned people to have pretty babies, etc.", the opposite also exists.  I found that the norm was more a case of "opposites attaract."
            Ethnicity did  not matter legally, unless one was a religious or political militant trying to keep things that happened thousands of years ago alive.
             
            The so called "paperbag test" is still alive and well.  I just learned about it approximately 6 months ago, and was shocked.  Apparently it is still used in some school systems by administrators right around the nations capital.
            My problems began when I moved back to the US as a teenager, and continue 'til this day.  While the color barrier has left scares here, each of us are individuals and need to work on healing those scares in order to build a better society.
             
            When my mother comes to visit, who is caucasian of English descent, and my sister, whose father is puertorican, with her daughters, blond blue eyed and red headed with green eyes, people do not hesitate to stand dumbfounded and stare or whisper staring right at us.
             
            And then theres the male/female issue.  My experience has always been that when black men find me attractive and want to date me it is ALWAYS because of the complexion of my skin or the texture of my hair.  This is what they tell me. Whereas, a white american, european or hispanic man will date me because of my personality, values, and goals in life. Then others have a problem when I chose to date within specific racial/ethnic groups.  I say this because we act based on our past experiences.  And also because we should look at what is going on around us and use these issues to make changes.
             

          • Philip Arnell
            Hello everyone, I hope this email finds you all well. I was emailing a freind of mine today letter her know what I have sent away for. After the first section
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
              Hello everyone, I hope this email finds you all well.
              I was emailing a freind of mine today letter her know what I have sent away for.
              After the first section read my following views and please let me know your opinion:

              I just ordered the ancestry DNA kit wish tests your DNA that determines what
              percentage of your background came from where, it goes by what you yourself
              have inherited from your ancestors, it is only the same if you are an identical twin.
                    For example, my sister is shorter lighter and has blue eyes, we have the
                    same parents and their parents had the same parents as their siblings.
              This test shows what percentage that you inherited from whatever group in your ancestry.
              With my genetic mixture I could have more of one group that I specifically inherited than
              my sister or brother had, they could have more euro ancestry that they themselves
              have inherited than I could have or whatever kind of group in the lineage.
              I thought it would be the same for myself and 2 siblings,
              but to my surprise it would be different. Science is amazing.
              I will have the results in 6 to 8 weeks.

              My View:

              You know , based on how society has acted at least in the different
              cultural-“black” communities in the United states and in the Caribbean
              (including Africa), though the dna test is important and is something that is
              nice to know, I could just imagine what it would do to groups especially in
              ones own family if they could determine exactly how much each individual
              person had of whatever lineage, there is already segregation amongst
              the "same people" because of complexions or hair texture or features.
              If they knew the exact percentage that they themselves actually had it
              could do one of 2 things, for some depending on their percentages.
              Stop their prejudiced ways or make them more arrogant with scientific proof behind it.
              These numbers are not important of course but at the same time , people
              would definately use them in negatives ways to make themselves better
              than others and if others like them were of the same or near percentage then
              they would add on a while new side to segregation and inner prejudice.

              Anyone have an opinion on this?
              This is just something that I just thought about and could maybe
              see happening at a highr degree than what already exists.


              j s <creolescience@...> wrote:

              Life is good ( but a bit warm and wet ).

              BTW for the general audience, though it's still a few months away, I plan on
              launching a comic book(s) that will be populated with a mostly mixed cast.
              While I won't be dwelling on the racial issues as a primary plot focus, it will be touched
              upon, especially the marginality and identity issues we face. I also plan to have various
              underrepresented ethnicities as well just because I think it's needed and I own it, so I can do it.
               
              I'll update as soon as I get closer,
              Jeff 

              Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:

              LOLOLOL that was a good one, how are you?

              j s <creolescience@...> wrote:
              "In guadelupe they tend to have a slaves mentality
              and will flock to a white person in a second or
              will throw themselves at a lighter complected person.
              that is one of the things that I dont like about living there"
              Sounds like I'd do pretty well there then. I guess I'll check the flights  ;)

              Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:

              Wow Peter this floors me. I had no idea of this.
              Neither does my wife, she is actually from france.
              You know I have heard people from the caribbean say
              dont have children with a dark person becasue it will
              ruin the look of the family, I have always hated that.

              One thing I dont like about my wifes family in guadeloupe
              is that they are a bit on the closet racist side.
              Meaning they all seem to have this entality that
              get with a white guy to have a beautiful child,
              one of them did this just for that reason, now she
              really ignores her first child whos father is black.
              My wifes family on her mothers side
              are african and east indian decent.

              In guadelupe they tend to have a slaves mentality
              and will flock to a white person in a second or
              will throw themselves at a lighter complected person.
              that is one of the things that I dont like about living there.


              Peter Barrett <barac1998@...> wrote:

              Yes really, I'm afraid he is right. The Blue vein Society and
              other organizations. That is part of our old American history.
              It however has had a profound effect on on us to this day.
              You could say not old stuff like that was still going on in the 60's.

              They were trying to get as close to the European look that they
              could. It had an effect on both light and dark. If you had
              kinky hair you trying to get it straight, if you had straight
              or wavy hair you were trying to make it frizzy or coarse
              to have an Afro during the Black Power time period.

              Most of us are mixed so ther is a great chance you
              would marry some one who is mixed as well in America.

              My wife and I both are as well. I didn't see
              it that way when we married. She has British/
              Caribbean/Panamania n/Jewish/ African Ancestry.
              You wouldn't think that by meeting her.
              We all know the deal.

              By the [way] Lynn, when are you going to shoot us
              another beautiful poem of yours / I need a lift.
              Take care.

              Peter

              In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
              Philip Arnell <trigueno03@ ...> wrote:

              no way really?? OMG!! I have never heard that one before.
              We all have our preferences, but come on,
              I married a woman who is also from a mixed background, it just
              happend to be that way, she honestly could have been anything.
              She still would have been a pain in the neck , lolol .
              I married for character, most people dont do that ever.

              j s <creolescience@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              The hair texture and skin color issues are also alive and well
              in the south. I remember hearing about the "Paper bag test"
              (if you are darker than th ebag you are too dark), 'comb
              test'(if a comb can't run through your hair it's too nappy)
              and "The Blue Vein Society" which meant that you had to be
              able to show a blue vein on your wrist to be a member.

              Philip Arnell <trigueno03@yahoo. com> wrote:

              I hear you Lynn,

              For caribbean families some things are a little more tolerant
              to a degree, but in all truth , the caribbean is a very
              predjudiced environment, some islands more than others,
              and there is the same thinking from different directinos,
              My Barbados family doesnt particularly like fair skinned people.
              Though they originated more than half from white settlers. They
              kind of ostricized my mother and her family to a degree. To this
              very day over 100 years later they still refer my grandmother as
              the white girll on the hill, even people that never even met her.

              My Anguilla family , are extreemly color conscious. They dont seem
              to favor the dark complexion and they are very caught up in hair.
              The St. Martin family is along the same guidelines but a little
              diferent depending on what section of the family. I would have
              to say the Aruba section of my family is the most open minded

              My cousins that grew up in the states here have no real concept of
              who they are and just put themselves in a catagory, and decided
              to be content with that, shunning where they really came from.
              Partially becasue their parents never educated
              them and this passed down to their kids.
              The other reason is they chose to be ignorant, then there is another
              group that just abandoned their culture all together. And cringe
              at meeting unknown relatives that remind them of who they are.
              Some relatives I have met on the street in the business
              disticts of NYC, they were with co workers and just
              introduced me by my name, not by my relation to them.

              I have always been open to my background and have even
              been called a liar to it, and told i had to choose,
              I guess that is the slave mentality in them
              or the slave maters mentality for others.
              Peo[ple always get uncomfrotable when it comes to this.

              Did I ever send you my books through email? Please let me know.

              wintyreeve@aol. com wrote:

              [[RE: As a person of a multiracial background,
              I have met many ignorant people. They were
              not educated in regard to people in general.
              My question for the group is, within your own families,
              have you ever felt predjudice from your own?
              Have anyone in your families ever try to keep you
              or others at a distance keeping a family apart?
              If so, how did you handle it? ]]

              I would honestly say that I get a "mixed" response from my family.
              Those people who do seem to resist talking about our multi-racial
              lineage, people who seem to hide from their own identity.
              People who stubbornly cling to their own notion of
              "reality" and exclude all else---to me seem to be
              coming from a place or fear and/or ignorance.
              I would not say that my family is predjudiced
              against being mixed race. Rather, it seems they

              1) Do not know their own mixed race identity and if given a
              choice would prefer to be labelled by the obvious skin color
              2) May have some idea of their own mixed race identity
              but out of fear, shame or denial choose to ignore it,
              and go by the "monoracial" type they are labelled as.

              And alot of this has to do with past
              experience and things passed down

              I would also say that living in the North is very
              different than living in the South, and that maybe
              the attitudes, and traditions of the environment
              also has shaped my family's reactions.

              I do my best to be open minded, and
              learn about other people's perspectives.
              If someone is willing to talk—I will offer my point
              of view but I really don't try to change people.
              I know that change is something you have to want for yourself.
              And I also know that what I think, feel, etc. is not
              the "One Answer"...there is a lot, also, I can learn.

              Blessings~ Lynn

            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.