Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: A question that I would love to know the answer to.

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 30 1:08 PM
      Life is good ( but a bit warm and wet ).

      BTW for the general audience, though it's still a few months away, I plan on
      launching a comic book(s) that will be populated with a mostly mixed cast.
      While I won't be dwelling on the racial issues as a primary plot focus, it will be touched
      upon, especially the marginality and identity issues we face. I also plan to have various
      underrepresented ethnicities as well just because I think it's needed and I own it, so I can do it.

      I'll update as soon as I get closer,
      Jeff

      Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:
      LOLOLOL that was a good one, how are you?

      j s <creolescience@...> wrote:
      "In guadelupe they tend to have a slaves mentality
      and will flock to a white person in a second or
      will throw themselves at a lighter complected person.
      that is one of the things that I dont like about living there"

      Sounds like I'd do pretty well there then. I guess I'll check the flights  ;)

      Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:
      Wow Peter this floors me. I had no idea of this.
      Neither does my wife, she is actually from france.
      You know I have heard people from the caribbean say
      dont have children with a dark person becasue it will
      ruin the look of the family, I have always hated that.

      One thing I dont like about my wifes family in guadeloupe
      is that they are a bit on the closet racist side.
      Meaning they all seem to have this entality that
      get with a white guy to have a beautiful child,
      one of them did this just for that reason, now she
      really ignores her first child whos father is black.
      My wifes family on her mothers side
      are african and east indian decent.

      In guadelupe they tend to have a slaves mentality
      and will flock to a white person in a second or
      will throw themselves at a lighter complected person.
      that is one of the things that I dont like about living there.

      Peter Barrett <barac1998@...> wrote:

      Yes really, I'm afraid he is right. The Blue vein Society and
      other organizations. That is part of our old American history.
      It however has had a profound effect on on us to this day.
      You could say not old stuff like that was still going on in the 60's.

      They were trying to get as close to the European look that they
      could. It had an effect on both light and dark. If you had
      kinky hair you trying to get it straight, if you had straight
      or wavy hair you were trying to make it frizzy or coarse
      to have an Afro during the Black Power time period.

      Most of us are mixed so ther is a great chance you
      would marry some one who is mixed as well in America.

      My wife and I both are as well. I didn't see
      it that way when we married. She has British/
      Caribbean/Panamania n/Jewish/ African Ancestry.
      You wouldn't think that by meeting her.
      We all know the deal.

      By the [way] Lynn, when are you going to shoot us
      another beautiful poem of yours / I need a lift.
      Take care.

      Peter

      In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
      Philip Arnell <trigueno03@ ...> wrote:

      no way really?? OMG!! I have never heard that one before.
      We all have our preferences, but come on,
      I married a woman who is also from a mixed background, it just
      happend to be that way, she honestly could have been anything.
      She still would have been a pain in the neck , lolol .
      I married for character, most people dont do that ever.

      j s <creolescience@ yahoo.com> wrote:

      The hair texture and skin color issues are also alive and well
      in the south. I remember hearing about the "Paper bag test"
      (if you are darker than th ebag you are too dark), 'comb
      test'(if a comb can't run through your hair it's too nappy)
      and "The Blue Vein Society" which meant that you had to be
      able to show a blue vein on your wrist to be a member.

      Philip Arnell <trigueno03@yahoo. com> wrote:

      I hear you Lynn,

      For caribbean families some things are a little more tolerant
      to a degree, but in all truth , the caribbean is a very
      predjudiced environment, some islands more than others,
      and there is the same thinking from different directinos,
      My Barbados family doesnt particularly like fair skinned people.
      Though they originated more than half from white settlers. They
      kind of ostricized my mother and her family to a degree. To this
      very day over 100 years later they still refer my grandmother as
      the white girll on the hill, even people that never even met her.

      My Anguilla family , are extreemly color conscious. They dont seem
      to favor the dark complexion and they are very caught up in hair.
      The St. Martin family is along the same guidelines but a little
      diferent depending on what section of the family. I would have
      to say the Aruba section of my family is the most open minded

      My cousins that grew up in the states here have no real concept of
      who they are and just put themselves in a catagory, and decided
      to be content with that, shunning where they really came from.
      Partially becasue their parents never educated
      them and this passed down to their kids.
      The other reason is they chose to be ignorant, then there is another
      group that just abandoned their culture all together. And cringe
      at meeting unknown relatives that remind them of who they are.
      Some relatives I have met on the street in the business
      disticts of NYC, they were with co workers and just
      introduced me by my name, not by my relation to them.

      I have always been open to my background and have even
      been called a liar to it, and told i had to choose,
      I guess that is the slave mentality in them
      or the slave maters mentality for others.
      Peo[ple always get uncomfrotable when it comes to this.

      Did I ever send you my books through email? Please let me know.

      wintyreeve@aol. com wrote:

      [[RE: As a person of a multiracial background,
      I have met many ignorant people. They were
      not educated in regard to people in general.
      My question for the group is, within your own families,
      have you ever felt predjudice from your own?
      Have anyone in your families ever try to keep you
      or others at a distance keeping a family apart?
      If so, how did you handle it? ]]

      I would honestly say that I get a "mixed" response from my family.
      Those people who do seem to resist talking about our multi-racial
      lineage, people who seem to hide from their own identity.
      People who stubbornly cling to their own notion of
      "reality" and exclude all else---to me seem to be
      coming from a place or fear and/or ignorance.
      I would not say that my family is predjudiced
      against being mixed race. Rather, it seems they

      1) Do not know their own mixed race identity and if given a
      choice would prefer to be labelled by the obvious skin color
      2) May have some idea of their own mixed race identity
      but out of fear, shame or denial choose to ignore it,
      and go by the "monoracial" type they are labelled as.

      And alot of this has to do with past
      experience and things passed down

      I would also say that living in the North is very
      different than living in the South, and that maybe
      the attitudes, and traditions of the environment
      also has shaped my family's reactions.

      I do my best to be open minded, and
      learn about other people's perspectives.
      If someone is willing to talk—I will offer my point
      of view but I really don't try to change people.
      I know that change is something you have to want for yourself.
      And I also know that what I think, feel, etc. is not
      the "One Answer"...there is a lot, also, I can learn.

      Blessings~ Lynn

    • Philip Arnell

        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 6, 2006

          Agreed -- Jeff this is great news --
          and thanks for letting us know about it!!! =D>

          You have such a funny sense of humor -- that
          I just know it's going to be a great success!! :)

          We are behind you 100% -- and so, please do
          make sure to keep us posted on your progress!!

          Have a great day!!

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 11, 2006
            Hello everyone, I hope you all are well.

            Yesterday I was speaking to a friend of mine in regard
            to another friend that she had a conflict with. the first
            friend is ' very much into 'the black movement' respectfully.
            She is partially of celtic decent she told me.
            The other friend is ' of a mixed background,
            she looks like she could be my sister.
            they had issues with one another over something .
            The second friend moved to Georgia becasue she met a man
            on the internet and just took up with him. A white fellow,
            her first husband was white and in their
            turmoils went as far to call her a n**ger.
            the first friend told me about this, then she ended the
            conversation with thats what you get when you go
            outside your 'race', stay within your own.
            Along with a few other statements after that, she
            was so intense with how she made the comments.

            The point I am making is this, with the bad choice that
            friend #2 made in her first marriage, why would friend #1
            make a comment in regard to being in or out of anothers race.

            The second story is a person who was trying to run away
            from herself. this was a girl that I knew in college.
            she was mixed , but made it a point to make sure that
            she wore an irish pin around , and refused to associate
            with any other people of color, even the teachers.
            I remember when one of the "black" organizations
            approached her for some school event and she went
            nuts feeling insulted that they approached her.

            Her issues I am sure have followed her through
            life and truly she will never find happiness,
            if she has for her sake I hope that she can
            exist healthy in her fears as many people do.
            that fear is thinking that they will be 'found out'
            for something when the world already knows.

            Peter Barrett <barac1998@...> wrote:
            Phillip I was wondering have you ever read The color Complex:
            The Politics of Skin Color Among African Americans by
            Kathy Russell,Midge Wilson Ph.D., and Ronald Hall Ph.D..

            It is quite informative on this subject.

            Your wife being from France is quite interesting.
            It is my understanding that there all French citizens are
            considered French no matter what their ethnicity by law.
            Which here in America is said but not actually acted out.
            What is your take on that?

            The Guadealupe thing is quite familiar
            as we have already said in many places.

            Again the color barrier has left scares here.
            Some places iit isn't as prevelant as others.

            I went to a Creole convention a couple of years ago.
            I know that may sound strange but that is what it is called.

            I thought there might be a color issue. I never felt more at home.
            People were of every combination you could think of.
            It was about culture and ancestral ties not phenotype.
            Creoles have had such a bad rap that I wasn't sure what to expect.
            It was all family. I was pleasantly suprised and amazed.
            This was not always the case but they are trying to bury the
            hatchett if you will. Which is how the world should be anyway.

            I'm also curious does your wife have to deal with people assuming
            the French are always rude? If so, how does she approach that issue?

            wintyreeve@aol. com wrote:

[...]

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • GardeniaSLP
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 27, 2006
              I find the comments you all have made interesting and sad at the same time.  First of all, I am biracial.  However, I grew up in Puerto Rico, where my family fit in just fine.  No one believed me when I said that I was american, so I just went along with it to, since I was there at the beginning of grade school.  In my family we were every color of the rainbow, and had a variety of eye colors and hair textures.  While some narrowminded people marry "lighter skinned people to have pretty babies, etc.", the opposite also exists.  I found that the norm was more a case of "opposites attaract."
              Ethnicity did  not matter legally, unless one was a religious or political militant trying to keep things that happened thousands of years ago alive.

              The so called "paperbag test" is still alive and well.  I just learned about it approximately 6 months ago, and was shocked.  Apparently it is still used in some school systems by administrators right around the nations capital.
              My problems began when I moved back to the US as a teenager, and continue 'til this day.  While the color barrier has left scares here, each of us are individuals and need to work on healing those scares in order to build a better society.

              When my mother comes to visit, who is caucasian of English descent, and my sister, whose father is puertorican, with her daughters, blond blue eyed and red headed with green eyes, people do not hesitate to stand dumbfounded and stare or whisper staring right at us.

              And then theres the male/female issue.  My experience has always been that when black men find me attractive and want to date me it is ALWAYS because of the complexion of my skin or the texture of my hair.  This is what they tell me. Whereas, a white american, european or hispanic man will date me because of my personality, values, and goals in life. Then others have a problem when I chose to date within specific racial/ethnic groups.  I say this because we act based on our past experiences.  And also because we should look at what is going on around us and use these issues to make changes.

            • Philip Arnell
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006
                Hello everyone, I hope this email finds you all well.
                I was emailing a freind of mine today letter her know what I have sent away for.
                After the first section read my following views and please let me know your opinion:

                I just ordered the ancestry DNA kit wish tests your DNA that determines what
                percentage of your background came from where, it goes by what you yourself
                have inherited from your ancestors, it is only the same if you are an identical twin.
                      For example, my sister is shorter lighter and has blue eyes, we have the
                      same parents and their parents had the same parents as their siblings.
                This test shows what percentage that you inherited from whatever group in your ancestry.
                With my genetic mixture I could have more of one group that I specifically inherited than
                my sister or brother had, they could have more euro ancestry that they themselves
                have inherited than I could have or whatever kind of group in the lineage.
                I thought it would be the same for myself and 2 siblings,
                but to my surprise it would be different. Science is amazing.
                I will have the results in 6 to 8 weeks.

                My View:

                You know , based on how society has acted at least in the different
                cultural-“black” communities in the United states and in the Caribbean
                (including Africa), though the dna test is important and is something that is
                nice to know, I could just imagine what it would do to groups especially in
                ones own family if they could determine exactly how much each individual
                person had of whatever lineage, there is already segregation amongst
                the "same people" because of complexions or hair texture or features.
                If they knew the exact percentage that they themselves actually had it
                could do one of 2 things, for some depending on their percentages.
                Stop their prejudiced ways or make them more arrogant with scientific proof behind it.
                These numbers are not important of course but at the same time , people
                would definately use them in negatives ways to make themselves better
                than others and if others like them were of the same or near percentage then
                they would add on a while new side to segregation and inner prejudice.

                Anyone have an opinion on this?
                This is just something that I just thought about and could maybe
                see happening at a highr degree than what already exists.