Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Hello...Loung Ung, Author/Activist

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2006
      Hello Ash-

      Thanks for sharing your story. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

      Loung Ung really describes what it was like for her to have flashbacks, and constant fear caused by living in hell under the Khmer Rouge then having members of her family killed. I remember one section where Loung talks about wearing a black outfit and having that remind her of what she wore in the Khmer camp--and how even wearing an article of clothing was such a painful, scary reminder. She also talks about the struggle to have those memories but there is no support or context to talk about them within the family--the family knows the pain, knows what happened but it is not talked about.

      First They Killed My Father: a Daughter of Cambodia Remembers is the first book where Loung Ung talks about her life under the Khmer regime, and that she was a child soldier.
      Lucky Child is the second book about Loung's life in America.

      Just like your mother, missionaries in America helped Loung, her older brother & his family come to live in America. There has to be some way of healing--my guess that it would involve something that is meaningful to your mother, something that gives her inspiration. But at the same time your mother has to be ready to take those steps... I am kinda dealing with similar issues with my Dad--a traumatic past, painful memories, not able to talk. Please know that I support you and your family. Am wishing you well.

      Blessings, Lynn