Re: [Generation-Mixed] Hello...Loung Ung, Author/Activist

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2006
      Hey Friends-

      I read "Lucky Child"..you may be interested in this book. It is the memoir of Loung Ung, who is Chinese-Cambodian and recounts her life surviving the Khmer Rouge then being lucky enough to immigrate to America to live with her brother. Loung recalls her yearning to return home, and later returned to Cambodia to visit her family. She also worked as a human rights activist, working to ban landmines.

      Blessings, Lynn

      Loung Ung is a survivor of the killing fields of Cambodia, one of the bloodiest episodes of the twentieth century. Some two million Cambodians—out of a population of just seven million—died at the hands of the infamous Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge regime.

      Loung was born in 1970 to a middle-class family in Phnom Penh. Five years later, her family was forced out of the city in a mass evacuation to the countryside. By 1978, the Khmer Rouge had killed Loung’s parents and two of her siblings and she was forced to train as a child soldier. In 1980, she and her older brother escaped by boat to Thailand, where they spent five months in a refugee camp. They then relocated to Vermont through sponsorship by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops and Holy Family Church parish in Burlington.

      Loung returned to Cambodia fifteen years after her escape for a memorial service for the victims of the Khmer Rouge genocide and was shocked and saddened to learn that twenty of her relatives had been killed. This realization compelled her to devote herself to justice and reconciliation in her homeland. Learning about the continuing destruction being caused by the millions of landmines that still litter the countryside in Cambodia led Loung to work to spread the word about the dangers of these indiscriminate weapons.

      Her memoir, First They Killed My Father: a Daughter of Cambodia Remembers, published by HarperCollins in 2000 is a national bestseller and recipient of the 2001 Asian/Pacific American Librarians’ Association award for "Excellence in Adult Non-fiction Literature" (APALA). The book has been published in eleven countries and has been translated into German, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, French, Spanish, Italian, Cambodian, and Japanese. Loung has been the subject of numerous television programs, including documentary film broadcasts on NHK Television in Japan and by WDR in Germany.

      Loung is a featured speaker on Cambodia, child soldiers, women and war, domestic violence, and landmines. She worked for the Vietnam Veterans’ of America Foundation's (VVAF) Campaign for a Landmine-Free World from 1997-2003, prior to which she was Community Educator for the Abused Women's Advocacy Project of the Maine Coalition Against Domestic Violence. Ms. Ung continues to serve as National Spokesperson for the Campaign for a Landmine-Free World.

      Loung has spoken widely to schools, universities, corporations, Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO), The Million Dollar Round Table Plenary, and other symposia in the US and abroad, including the UN Conference on Women in Beijing, the UN Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa, and the Child Soldiers Conference in Kathmandu, Nepal.

      Loung sits on the Advisory Board for Hewlett-Packard’s World E-Inclusion Initiative and The Cambodian Association of Chicago, Illinois. The World Economic Forum selected her as one of the "100 Global Leaders of Tomorrow." She has been featured in The New York Times, Washington Post, USA Today, Boston Globe, and the London Sunday Times and in Biography, Glamour, Jane, Ms., and People magazines. Loung has been featured on National Public Radio’s The Diane Rehm Show, Talk of the Nation, Weekend Edition, and Fresh Air with Terry Gross, The Today Show with Matt Lauer and Katie Couric, and has appeared on ABC NEWS Nightline, CBS, NBC, CNN, Fox, and C-SPAN. She has recently been spotted on stage with such notable personalities as Paul McCartney and Sheryl Crow.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loung_Ung

      Loung Ung (born 1970) is a Cambodian human-rights activist, an internationally-recognized lecturer, and the national spokesperson for the "International Campaign to Ban Landmines", which is affiliated with the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation.

      Ung was born in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, the sixth of seven children and the third of four girls, to Sem Im Ung and Ay Chourng Ung. Her actual birthdate is unknown; the Khmer Rouge destroyed many of the birth records of the inhabitants of cities in Cambodia. At ten years of age she escaped from Cambodia as a survivor of what became known as the Killing Fields during the reign of Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge regime. After emigrating to the United States and adjusting to her new country, she wrote two books which related her life experiences from 1975 through 2003.

      Today Ung is married and lives in Shaker Heights, a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.

      (There is much more to this article, it is very interesting)

    • ashley_quach
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2006
        This sounds like a great book.
        My mother lived in the capital of Cambodia and went
        through the Khmer Rouge as well. That's why she
        escaped and immigrated to the United States through
        the sponsorships and kindness of various churches.
        I am going to read this book because often times my mother
        does not like to talk about those times. I can see the
        pain in her eyes and simply do not want to ask her
        because you can really see the tragedy and hardship
        in her face as it has aged so much due to her experiences.
        Thanks for the suggested read :)
        ~Ash

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, wintyreeve@... wrote:

        Hey Friends-

        I read "Lucky Child"..you may be interested in this book.
        It is the memoir of Loung Ung, who is Chinese-Cambodian
        and recounts her life surviving the Khmer Rouge then being
        lucky enough to immigrate to America to live with her brother.
        Loung recalls her yearning to return home,
        and later returned to Cambodia to visit her family.
        She also worked as a human rights
        activist, working to ban landmines.

        Blessings, Lynn

        Loung Ung: Author, Activist for Cambodia

        http://www.loungung.com/ung_home.php

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2006
          Hello Ash-

          Thanks for sharing your story. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

          Loung Ung really describes what it was like for her to have flashbacks, and constant fear caused by living in hell under the Khmer Rouge then having members of her family killed. I remember one section where Loung talks about wearing a black outfit and having that remind her of what she wore in the Khmer camp--and how even wearing an article of clothing was such a painful, scary reminder. She also talks about the struggle to have those memories but there is no support or context to talk about them within the family--the family knows the pain, knows what happened but it is not talked about.

          First They Killed My Father: a Daughter of Cambodia Remembers is the first book where Loung Ung talks about her life under the Khmer regime, and that she was a child soldier.
          Lucky Child is the second book about Loung's life in America.

          Just like your mother, missionaries in America helped Loung, her older brother & his family come to live in America. There has to be some way of healing--my guess that it would involve something that is meaningful to your mother, something that gives her inspiration. But at the same time your mother has to be ready to take those steps... I am kinda dealing with similar issues with my Dad--a traumatic past, painful memories, not able to talk. Please know that I support you and your family. Am wishing you well.

          Blessings, Lynn