Re: [Generation-Mixed] Introducing myself

  • Alicia McCoy
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
      Sorry I'm a week late, but welcome! My name is Alicia and I am always to interested to meet people who are of multiracial backgrounds!

      stefaniedunning@... wrote:
      Hi everyone,

      I thought I'd post in to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Stefanie and I'm really looking forward to participating in the discussions here.

      I am an FGM, my mother was black (she died in November) and my father white. I could get more specific (my mother's grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee, my father's mother was an Irish immigrant and his father a German immigrant) but we'll let the easier labels apply (though of course, I just didn't).

      My husband is Sri Lankan and we've just had our first child (she is 3 months old). It never occurred to me to think about all the ways mixed race stuff impacts my life. I am just me--my husband is was brought to my attention by an African American friend who asked me, "How does it feel to be in an interracial relationshipjust him--you know, we fell in love and got married. I never thought about the race aspect of it, until it ?"  That's a crazy *ss question any way (it feels like any other good relationship feels), but my response was to feel that any one I dated, more or less, would mean I was in an "interracial" relationship.  But this is the thing--as cliched as it may sound, I really just see people as people first. Then something happens (they say something or whatever) that makes me "remember race."

      My extended family is also very mixed race--one of my brothers is married to a Filipina-American woman and they have 4 kids; my other brother is married to a white woman and they just had their first baby this past Thursday! (Samuel is his name, 8lbs 5oz!)

      I am excited to be here and look forward to some great discussions.  I hope our conversations will broaden and deepen my thinking about these issues for a capstone I am teaching in the fall, Miscegenation and mulattos in Amercan Literature, 1865 to the present.

      Thanks!

      Stefanie

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Alicia McCoy
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
        Saw it, taped, love it! My husband and I thought it was very interesting! I love how there are so many ways that traces us all back to Africa in one way or another. I personally also love the National Geographic special that show where they were able to take DNA (as well as other factors) and trace all of mankind back to one true "Adam and Eve", which would have been in an African tribe. So basically, it kind of proved the theory of evolution and the biblical Genesis all at one time. But the best part was the "proof" if you will, that all of mankind has its root from a tribe in Africa! I love science!

        stefaniedunning@... wrote:

         Hi all,

        I was wondering if any of you saw the PBS special done by Henry Louis Gates in February for Black History Month where he attempts to use DNA to trace the ancestry of some famous African Americans back to Africa?

        I don't know if you've already talked about this or not, so forgive me. I also wonder if there are any geneticists on the list here and what your point of view of this is?

        I am hoping to write something on this. I think what is interesting about it (in short) is that while his project was seemingly essentialist (you know, finding one's "pure" black origin) what he actually uncovered was how multi-racial most of them were!  For example, both Oprah Winfrey and Mae Jemison discovered they are some percentage of East Asian ancestry.  Gates discovered about himself that "genetically speaking" he is mostly of Northern European descent and did Quincy Jones.  So what this "back to Africa" project uncovered--instead of how "African" the folks where, but rather how "miscegenated," if you will, they all are.

        I wonder what you all thought of that...if any of you had seen the special?

        Stefanie
        .

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Alicia McCoy
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
          Welcome Christel ! Nice to meet you! Very interesting work you are doing!

          Christel Allen <christel.allen@...> wrote:
          Hi Stefanie (and all!),

          I have yet to introduce myself to everyone, so first things first; Hi everyone! I'm excited to meet you all. My name is Christel and I am a senior at Santa Clara University, days from graduation, actually. I'm an extremely ambiguous blend of Dark Irish, French Calvinists, Sioux Indian, Indigenous Tarasco, and  Spanish Conquistadores, yet I look similar to Asian/Pacific Islanders occasionally I'll even forget I'm not (kidding....) My Dad fully believes somebody on the Chinese boats that came to North America 1,000 years ago fooled around with one of our ancestors. I'm less convinced.

          But that thought in the back of my head is one reason I decided to immerse myself into the growing cluster of research on Mixed research for my journalism senior capstone, a feature on the inconclusive and occasionally contradicting research on Mixed people, and what it tells us, and doesn't, about the future of the booming population of Mixed Americans, and other populations worldwide.

          Websites like www.dnaancestryproject.com, for a fee, will map my genetic ancestry and tell me whether or not my dad has case for our Asian ancestry.

          My story touches on some the some of issues you brought up in your questions, when I cover the genetics involved in Mixed studies. One article I've found extremely interesting came from Stanford. I couldn't find a link, but here's some excepts.

          Stanford Law Review
          October, 2003
          Redefining Race: Can Genetic Testing Provide Biological Proof of Indian Ethnicity?

          By Eric Beckenhauer

          ... A Chukchansi Indian from the foothills of Fresno, she lives in a two-room trailer with her daughter, mother, and brother. ... It then explains, in Part III, how a legislative attempt to enable Indians to "prove" their ethnic identities through genetic testing, besides demonstrating a failure to understand these limitations, provoked outrage among Indian communities. ... Since tribal membership requirements are generally tribe-specific, so-called "mixed bloods" may be entirely Indian by heritage, without having an adequate blood quantum to merit membership in any particular tribe. ... " Likewise, in addition to a one-fourth blood quantum requirement, one band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians requires descendancy from a member listed on the tribal census of either 1928 or 1940. ... Of the principal methods of ascribing genetic characteristics to specific ethnic groups, it is clear that: (1) variant analysis has little power to identify the ethnicity of individuals; (2) EAE, though more powerful than variant analysis, requires additional refinements and has not yet been successfully applied to Indian populations; and (3) identification of private polymorphisms, particularly via Y-chromosome and mtDNA analysis, is an accepted means to define the common genetic characteristics of an ethnic group, and an accurate means to determine whether an individual has some degree of Indian ancestry. ...

          Good luck with your writing, if you'd like to share contracts and resources, just let me know!

          Cheers,

          Christel

        • stefaniedunning@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
            Hi Christel and everyone,

            Sorry I didn't write back sooner, Cristel, but I had to take a colleague's
            class unexpectedly because she was in a horrible car accident.

            With the new baby and suddenly having to teach, I've been under water.

            I am going to check out the website you mention. I'll have more to say anon.

            Stef