Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Generation-Mixed] question

Expand Messages
  • Philip Arnell
    I saw that special , it was fantastic. I soon will be taking the ad mixture test. stefaniedunning@aol.com wrote: Hi all, I was wondering if any of you saw the
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      I saw that special , it was fantastic. I soon will be taking the ad mixture test.

      stefaniedunning@... wrote:
       
       Hi all,
       
      I was wondering if any of you saw the PBS special done by Henry Louis Gates in February for Black History Month where he attempts to use DNA to trace the ancestry of some famous African Americans back to Africa?
       
      I don't know if you've already talked about this or not, so forgive me. I also wonder if there are any geneticists on the list here and what your point of view of this is?
       
      I am hoping to write something on this. I think what is interesting about it (in short) is that while his project was seemingly essentialist (you know, finding one's "pure" black origin) what he actually uncovered was how multi-racial most of them were!  For example, both Oprah Winfrey and Mae Jemison discovered they are some percentage of East Asian ancestry.  Gates discovered about himself that "genetically speaking" he is mostly of Northern European descent and did Quincy Jones.  So what this "back to Africa" project uncovered--instead of how "African" the folks where, but rather how "miscegenated," if you will, they all are.
       
      I wonder what you all thought of that...if any of you had seen the special?
       
      Stefanie
      .




      __________________________________________________

    • Philip Arnell
      Hi Christel, My name is Philip Arnell and there are perhaps 2 theories to your asian appearance. The first theory is that Asians did come to this country
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Christel,
         
        My name is Philip Arnell and there are perhaps 2 theories to your asian appearance. The first theory is that Asians did come to this country before columbus, even the africans did too so I have heard. So there is a possibility that somewhere in your lineage there may have been an asian influence. The second is that native americans do have an asian lineage, just like people from india. They allegedly are a cross between africans and asians and this is what was produced. There is more to the story, but I am basically giving you the upfront part.
         
        I am a carib american, I have researched my family as far as 500 years on my mothers side and about 300 years on my fathers. It has been documented and inducted into 3 museums thus far. if you would like to see it I will send it to you. It would be from a website called "yousendit.com". Do you think that I could put it on this email? Would it go through?

        Christel Allen <christel.allen@...> wrote:
        Hi Stefanie (and all!),

        I have yet to introduce myself to everyone, so first things first; Hi everyone! I'm excited to meet you all. My name is Christel and I am a senior at Santa Clara University, days from graduation, actually. I'm an extremely ambiguous blend of Dark Irish, French Calvinists, Sioux Indian, Indigenous Tarasco, and  Spanish Conquistadores, yet I look similar to Asian/Pacific Islanders occasionally I'll even forget I'm not (kidding....) My Dad fully believes somebody on the Chinese boats that came to North America 1,000 years ago fooled around with one of our ancestors. I'm less convinced.

        But that thought in the back of my head is one reason I decided to immerse myself into the growing cluster of research on Mixed research for my journalism senior capstone, a feature on the inconclusive and occasionally contradicting research on Mixed people, and what it tells us, and doesn't, about the future of the booming population of Mixed Americans, and other populations worldwide.

        Websites like www.dnaancestryproject.com, for a fee, will map my genetic ancestry and tell me whether or not my dad has case for our Asian ancestry.

        My story touches on some the some of issues you brought up in your questions, when I cover the genetics involved in Mixed studies. One article I've found extremely interesting came from Stanford. I couldn't find a link, but here's some excepts.


        Stanford Law Review
        October, 2003
        Redefining Race: Can Genetic Testing Provide Biological Proof of Indian Ethnicity?

        By Eric Beckenhauer

        ... A Chukchansi Indian from the foothills of Fresno, she lives in a two-room trailer with her daughter, mother, and brother. ... It then explains, in Part III, how a legislative attempt to enable Indians to "prove" their ethnic identities through genetic testing, besides demonstrating a failure to understand these limitations, provoked outrage among Indian communities. ... Since tribal membership requirements are generally tribe-specific, so-called "mixed bloods" may be entirely Indian by heritage, without having an adequate blood quantum to merit membership in any particular tribe. ... " Likewise, in addition to a one-fourth blood quantum requirement, one band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians requires descendancy from a member listed on the tribal census of either 1928 or 1940. ... Of the principal methods of ascribing genetic characteristics to specific ethnic groups, it is clear that: (1) variant analysis has little power to identify the ethnicity of individuals; (2) EAE, though more powerful than variant analysis, requires additional refinements and has not yet been successfully applied to Indian populations; and (3) identification of private polymorphisms, particularly via Y-chromosome and mtDNA analysis, is an accepted means to define the common genetic characteristics of an ethnic group, and an accurate means to determine whether an individual has some degree of Indian ancestry. ...  


        Good luck with your writing, if you'd like to share contracts and resources, just let me know!

        Cheers,

        Christel


         
        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, stefaniedunning@... wrote:


        Hi all,

        I was wondering if any of you saw the PBS special done by Henry Louis Gates in February for Black History Month
        where he attempts to use DNA to trace the ancestry of some famous African Americans back to Africa?

        I don't know if you've already talked about this or not, so forgive me. I also wonder if
        there are any geneticists on the list here and what your point of view of this is?

        I am hoping to write something on this. I think what is interesting about it (in short) is that while his project was seemingly essentialist (you know, finding one's "pure" black origin) what he actually uncovered was how multi-racial most of them were! For example, both Oprah Winfrey and Mae Jemison discovered they are some percentage of East Asian ancestry. Gates discovered about himself that "genetically speaking" he is mostly of Northern European descent and did Quincy Jones. So what this "back to Africa" project uncovered--instead of how "African" the folks where, but rather how "miscegenated," if you will, they all are.

        I wonder what you all thought of that...if any of you had seen the special?

        Stefanie.





        __________________________________________________

      • wintyreeve@aol.com
        RE: Likewise, in addition to a one-fourth blood quantum requirement, one band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians requires descendancy from a member listed
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          RE: Likewise, in addition to a one-fourth blood quantum requirement, one band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians requires descendancy from a member listed on the tribal census of either 1928 or 1940. ...
           
          I read this book called "Night Flying Woman" by Ignatia Broker. "Night Flying Woman" is about the Ojibway history and family memories passed down to Ignatia. Ignatia briefly discusses her own life but I think she could have discussed more about what life is like, in modern times, for the Ojibway in urban areas and how she developed her own sense of self and culture while being so far from her roots. Anyways, Ignatia goes into what life was life, early in American history for the Ojibway and how things changed with modernization, pressures by Christian churches encroaching on their way of life, and by the dominance of European culture & values on the Ojibway. Reading "Night Flying Woman" you get a good sense of how the blood quantum laws developed... And not only blood quantum but also how the sense of identity, what it meant to be Ojibway changed. What I liked about "Night Flying Woman" is that it is written in a very personal narrative, you feel like Ignatia is speaking right to you.
           
          Blessings, Lynn
           

          Ignatia Broker (Ni-BO-WI-SE-GWE) , 1919-1987

          Ojibwe

          Ignatia Broker was concerned with bridging generation gaps for the Ojibway. She was born on the White Earth Reservation in Minnesota in 1919 and died in 1987. She attended the Indian boarding school at Wahpeton Indian Boarding School in North Dakota. Broker was an Ojibway elder and storyteller. Over the course of her life she worked to educate the public about Native American people. She founded the Minnesota Indian Historical Society. She was involved with the Upper Midwest American Indian Center in Minneapolis. She wrote the Night Flying Woman, a story rich in Ojibway traditions. Broker died in 1987.
        • multiracialbookclub
          Hi Christel, Welcome to Generation-Mixed! We are happy to have you here and are truly looking forward to a lot of great conversations with you !! [:)] --M
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi Christel,

            Welcome to Generation-Mixed!

            We are happy to have you here and are truly looking
            forward to a lot of great conversations with you !!:)

            --M


            "Christel Allen" <christel.allen@...> wrote:

            Hi ... all!,

            I have yet to introduce myself to everyone, so first things first;
            Hi everyone! I'm excited to meet you all. My name is Christel and I
            am a senior at Santa Clara University, days from graduation, actually.
            I'm an extremely ambiguous blend of Dark Irish, French Calvinists, Sioux Indian,
            Indigenous Tarasco, and  Spanish Conquistadores, yet I look similar to
            Asian/Pacific Islanders occasionally I'll even forget I'm not (kidding....)
            My Dad fully believes somebody on the Chinese boats that came to
            North America 1,000 years ago fooled around with one of our ancestors.
            I'm less convinced.

            But that thought in the back of my head is one reason I decided to immerse myself
            into the growing cluster of research on Mixed research for my journalism senior
            capstone, a feature on the inconclusive and occasionally contradicting research
            on Mixed people, and what it tells us, and doesn't, about the future of the
            booming population of Mixed Americans, and other populations worldwide.

            Websites like www.dnaancestryproject.com, for a fee, will map my genetic
            ancestry and tell me whether or not my dad has case for our Asian ancestry.

            My story touches on some the some of issues you brought up in
            your questions, when I cover the genetics involved in Mixed studies. ...

            ... if you'd like to share contracts and resources, just let me know!

            Cheers,

            Christel
          • multiracialbookclub
            Hi Philip, Welcome to Gen-Mixed!! [:)] We are happy to have you here and wanted to let you know that you (and any other member, as well) can also feel free to
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
            • 0 Attachment

              Hi Philip,

              Welcome to Gen-Mixed!!:)

              We are happy to have you here and wanted to let you know
              that you (and any other member, as well) can also feel free
              to include the information from your family geneaology
              (and other research materials) in the 'Photos', 'Files',
              'Links' and other folder sections as well if you'd like.

              Have a great day!!

              -- M


              Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:

              Hi ...,
               
              My name is Philip Arnell and ...
              I am a carib american, I have researched my family as far as
              500 years on my mothers side and about 300 years on my fathers.
              It has been documented and inducted into 3 museums thus far.
              if you would like to see it I will send it to you. ...
            • Philip Arnell
              Thanks M! It is a pleasure to meet you and I am going to send you the 2 documents. The smaller one is still a work in progress and the biggerone is more
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                Thanks M! It is a pleasure to meet you and I am going to send you the 2 documents. The smaller one is still a work in progress and the biggerone is more complete. These are projects that will nevere be finished becasue there is always something to add on to them both old and new. The documents will come form a website called "yousendit.com"
                 
                Philip

                multiracialbookclub <soaptalk@...> wrote:
                Hi Philip,

                Welcome to Gen-Mixed!!:)

                We are happy to have you here and wanted to let you know
                that you (and any other member, as well) can also feel free
                to include the information from your family geneaology
                (and other research materials) in the 'Photos', 'Files',
                'Links' and other folder sections as well if you'd like.

                Have a great day!!

                -- M


                Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:
                Hi ...,
                 
                My name is Philip Arnell and ...
                I am a carib american, I have researched my family as far as
                500 years on my mothers side and about 300 years on my fathers.
                It has been documented and inducted into 3 museums thus far.
                if you would like to see it I will send it to you. ...

                __________________________________________________
                Do You Yahoo!?
                Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Peter Barrett
                Hello and welcome, Yes I saw the special and thought it was very interesting. I have yet to do the percentage test. I have had my maternal and parternal DNA
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 9, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hello and welcome,

                  Yes I saw the special and thought it was very interesting.
                  I have yet to do the percentage test.
                  I have had my maternal and parternal DNA tested.
                  My maternal seems strongest in Senegal and my paternal
                  is European but haven't been given a region as of yet.

                  I knew I had European Ancestry on both sides
                  just didn't know where. I have no idea how much.
                  I look “black That is the thing about Mixed people there
                  can be an array of looks in one family as we all now.

                  I have never viewed myself as mixed even though
                  know I have a Mixed Ancestry. If look like
                  what you are you can't be anything else.
                  Which we know what that type of thinking has done.

                  It was interesting about Senegal to me, since some
                  of my maternal ancestors came from North Carolina
                  which had a large number of Senegambian slaves
                  there. My Creole ancestry also has roots from
                  Senegal. Many of the slaves that went to Louisiana
                  were Wolof women and Banmara men. Of course you
                  had some come from the Congo as well. The majority
                  was Senegal and Mali. Some Creoles carry the name
                  Senegal as a family name with many spellings.

                  Please let us know your results when you get them.

                  Peter

                  Philip Arnell <trigueno03@...> wrote:

                  I saw that special , it was fantastic.
                  I soon will be taking the admixture test.

                  stefaniedunning@... wrote:

                  ... Hi all,

                  ... I was wondering if any of you saw the PBS
                  special done by Henry Louis Gates in February
                  for Black History Month where he attempts
                  to use DNA to trace the ancestry of some
                  famous African Americans back to Africa?

                  ... I don't know if you've already talked about
                  this or not, so forgive me. I also wonder if
                  there are any geneticists on the list here
                  and what your point of view of this is?

                  ... I am hoping to write something on this.
                  I think what is interesting about it
                  (in short) is that while his project was
                  seemingly essentialist (you know, finding
                  one's "pure" black origin) what he actually
                  uncovered was how multi-racial most of them were!

                  For example, both Oprah Winfrey and
                  Mae Jemison discovered they are some
                  percentage of East Asian ancestry.
                  Gates discovered about, himself that
                  "genetically speaking" he is mostly of
                  Northern European descent and did Quincy Jones.

                  So what this "back to Africa" project uncovered
                  -- instead of how "African" the folks where, but
                  rather how "Miscegenated," if you will, they all are.

                  I wonder what you all thought of that
                  ...if any of you had seen the special?

                  Stefanie.
                • Alicia McCoy
                  Sorry I m a week late, but welcome! My name is Alicia and I am always to interested to meet people who are of multiracial backgrounds! stefaniedunning@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Sorry I'm a week late, but welcome! My name is Alicia and I am always to interested to meet people who are of multiracial backgrounds!

                    stefaniedunning@... wrote:
                    Hi everyone,
                     
                    I thought I'd post in to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Stefanie and I'm really looking forward to participating in the discussions here.
                     
                    I am an FGM, my mother was black (she died in November) and my father white. I could get more specific (my mother's grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee, my father's mother was an Irish immigrant and his father a German immigrant) but we'll let the easier labels apply (though of course, I just didn't).
                     
                    My husband is Sri Lankan and we've just had our first child (she is 3 months old). It never occurred to me to think about all the ways mixed race stuff impacts my life. I am just me--my husband is was brought to my attention by an African American friend who asked me, "How does it feel to be in an interracial relationshipjust him--you know, we fell in love and got married. I never thought about the race aspect of it, until it ?"  That's a crazy *ss question any way (it feels like any other good relationship feels), but my response was to feel that any one I dated, more or less, would mean I was in an "interracial" relationship.  But this is the thing--as cliched as it may sound, I really just see people as people first. Then something happens (they say something or whatever) that makes me "remember race."
                     
                    My extended family is also very mixed race--one of my brothers is married to a Filipina-American woman and they have 4 kids; my other brother is married to a white woman and they just had their first baby this past Thursday! (Samuel is his name, 8lbs 5oz!)
                     
                    I am excited to be here and look forward to some great discussions.  I hope our conversations will broaden and deepen my thinking about these issues for a capstone I am teaching in the fall, Miscegenation and mulattos in Amercan Literature, 1865 to the present.
                     
                    Thanks!
                     
                    Stefanie

                    __________________________________________________
                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Alicia McCoy
                    Saw it, taped, love it! My husband and I thought it was very interesting! I love how there are so many ways that traces us all back to Africa in one way or
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Saw it, taped, love it! My husband and I thought it was very interesting! I love how there are so many ways that traces us all back to Africa in one way or another. I personally also love the National Geographic special that show where they were able to take DNA (as well as other factors) and trace all of mankind back to one true "Adam and Eve", which would have been in an African tribe. So basically, it kind of proved the theory of evolution and the biblical Genesis all at one time. But the best part was the "proof" if you will, that all of mankind has its root from a tribe in Africa! I love science!

                      stefaniedunning@... wrote:
                       
                       Hi all,
                       
                      I was wondering if any of you saw the PBS special done by Henry Louis Gates in February for Black History Month where he attempts to use DNA to trace the ancestry of some famous African Americans back to Africa?
                       
                      I don't know if you've already talked about this or not, so forgive me. I also wonder if there are any geneticists on the list here and what your point of view of this is?
                       
                      I am hoping to write something on this. I think what is interesting about it (in short) is that while his project was seemingly essentialist (you know, finding one's "pure" black origin) what he actually uncovered was how multi-racial most of them were!  For example, both Oprah Winfrey and Mae Jemison discovered they are some percentage of East Asian ancestry.  Gates discovered about himself that "genetically speaking" he is mostly of Northern European descent and did Quincy Jones.  So what this "back to Africa" project uncovered--instead of how "African" the folks where, but rather how "miscegenated," if you will, they all are.
                       
                      I wonder what you all thought of that...if any of you had seen the special?
                       
                      Stefanie
                      .




                      __________________________________________________
                      Do You Yahoo!?
                      Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Alicia McCoy
                      Welcome Christel ! Nice to meet you! Very interesting work you are doing! Christel Allen wrote: Hi Stefanie (and all!), I
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Welcome Christel ! Nice to meet you! Very interesting work you are doing!

                        Christel Allen <christel.allen@...> wrote:
                        Hi Stefanie (and all!),

                        I have yet to introduce myself to everyone, so first things first; Hi everyone! I'm excited to meet you all. My name is Christel and I am a senior at Santa Clara University, days from graduation, actually. I'm an extremely ambiguous blend of Dark Irish, French Calvinists, Sioux Indian, Indigenous Tarasco, and  Spanish Conquistadores, yet I look similar to Asian/Pacific Islanders occasionally I'll even forget I'm not (kidding....) My Dad fully believes somebody on the Chinese boats that came to North America 1,000 years ago fooled around with one of our ancestors. I'm less convinced.

                        But that thought in the back of my head is one reason I decided to immerse myself into the growing cluster of research on Mixed research for my journalism senior capstone, a feature on the inconclusive and occasionally contradicting research on Mixed people, and what it tells us, and doesn't, about the future of the booming population of Mixed Americans, and other populations worldwide.

                        Websites like www.dnaancestryproject.com, for a fee, will map my genetic ancestry and tell me whether or not my dad has case for our Asian ancestry.

                        My story touches on some the some of issues you brought up in your questions, when I cover the genetics involved in Mixed studies. One article I've found extremely interesting came from Stanford. I couldn't find a link, but here's some excepts.


                        Stanford Law Review
                        October, 2003
                        Redefining Race: Can Genetic Testing Provide Biological Proof of Indian Ethnicity?

                        By Eric Beckenhauer

                        ... A Chukchansi Indian from the foothills of Fresno, she lives in a two-room trailer with her daughter, mother, and brother. ... It then explains, in Part III, how a legislative attempt to enable Indians to "prove" their ethnic identities through genetic testing, besides demonstrating a failure to understand these limitations, provoked outrage among Indian communities. ... Since tribal membership requirements are generally tribe-specific, so-called "mixed bloods" may be entirely Indian by heritage, without having an adequate blood quantum to merit membership in any particular tribe. ... " Likewise, in addition to a one-fourth blood quantum requirement, one band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians requires descendancy from a member listed on the tribal census of either 1928 or 1940. ... Of the principal methods of ascribing genetic characteristics to specific ethnic groups, it is clear that: (1) variant analysis has little power to identify the ethnicity of individuals; (2) EAE, though more powerful than variant analysis, requires additional refinements and has not yet been successfully applied to Indian populations; and (3) identification of private polymorphisms, particularly via Y-chromosome and mtDNA analysis, is an accepted means to define the common genetic characteristics of an ethnic group, and an accurate means to determine whether an individual has some degree of Indian ancestry. ...  


                        Good luck with your writing, if you'd like to share contracts and resources, just let me know!

                        Cheers,

                        Christel


                         
                        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, stefaniedunning@... wrote:


                        Hi all,

                        I was wondering if any of you saw the PBS special done by Henry Louis Gates in February for Black History Month
                        where he attempts to use DNA to trace the ancestry of some famous African Americans back to Africa?

                        I don't know if you've already talked about this or not, so forgive me. I also wonder if
                        there are any geneticists on the list here and what your point of view of this is?

                        I am hoping to write something on this. I think what is interesting about it (in short) is that while his project was seemingly essentialist (you know, finding one's "pure" black origin) what he actually uncovered was how multi-racial most of them were! For example, both Oprah Winfrey and Mae Jemison discovered they are some percentage of East Asian ancestry. Gates discovered about himself that "genetically speaking" he is mostly of Northern European descent and did Quincy Jones. So what this "back to Africa" project uncovered--instead of how "African" the folks where, but rather how "miscegenated," if you will, they all are.

                        I wonder what you all thought of that...if any of you had seen the special?

                        Stefanie.





                        __________________________________________________
                        Do You Yahoo!?
                        Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • stefaniedunning@aol.com
                        Hi Christel and everyone, Sorry I didn t write back sooner, Cristel, but I had to take a colleague s class unexpectedly because she was in a horrible car
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 11, 2006
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hi Christel and everyone,

                          Sorry I didn't write back sooner, Cristel, but I had to take a colleague's
                          class unexpectedly because she was in a horrible car accident.

                          With the new baby and suddenly having to teach, I've been under water.

                          I am going to check out the website you mention. I'll have more to say anon.

                          Stef


                          -----Original Message-----

                          From: Alicia McCoy
                          To: Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
                          Sent: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:29:05 -0700 (PDT)
                          Subject: Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: question

                          Welcome Christel ! Nice to meet you! Very interesting work you are doing!

                          Christel Allen wrote:

                          Hi Stefanie (and all!),

                          I have yet to introduce myself to everyone, so first things first; Hi everyone!
                          I'm excited to meet you all. My name is Christel and I am a senior at Santa
                          Clara University, days from graduation, actually. I'm an extremely ambiguous
                          blend of Dark Irish, French Calvinists, Sioux Indian, Indigenous Tarasco,
                          and Spanish Conquistadores, yet I look similar to Asian/Pacific Islanders
                          occasionally I'll even forget I'm not (kidding....) My Dad fully believes
                          somebody on the Chinese boats that came to North America 1,000 years
                          ago fooled around with one of our ancestors. I'm less convinced.

                          But that thought in the back of my head is one reason I decided to immerse
                          myself into the growing cluster of research on Mixed research for my journalism
                          senior capstone, a feature on the inconclusive and occasionally contradicting
                          research on Mixed people, and what it tells us, and doesn't, about the future
                          of the booming population of Mixed Americans, and other populations worldwide.

                          Websites like www.dnaancestryproject.com, for a fee, will map my genetic
                          ancestry and tell me whether or not my dad has case for our Asian ancestry.

                          My story touches on some the some of issues you brought up in your questions,
                          when I cover the genetics involved in Mixed studies. One article I've found extremely
                          interesting came from Stanford. I couldn't find a link, but here's some excepts.


                          Stanford Law Review
                          October, 2003
                          Redefining Race: Can Genetic Testing Provide
                          Biological Proof of Indian Ethnicity?

                          By Eric Beckenhauer

                          ... A Chukchansi Indian from the foothills of Fresno, she lives in a two-room trailer with her daughter, mother, and brother. ... It then explains, in Part III, how a legislative attempt to enable Indians to "prove" their ethnic identities through genetic testing, besides demonstrating a failure to understand these limitations, provoked outrage among Indian communities. ... Since tribal membership requirements are generally tribe-specific, so-called "mixed bloods" may be entirely Indian by heritage, without having an adequate blood quantum to merit membership in any particular tribe. ... " Likewise, in addition to a one-fourth blood quantum requirement, one band of the Lake Superior Chippewa Indians requires descendancy from a member listed on the tribal census of either 1928 or 1940. ... Of the principal methods of ascribing genetic characteristics to specific ethnic groups, it is clear that: (1) variant analysis has little power to identify the ethnicity of individuals; (2) EAE, though more powerful than variant analysis, requires additional refinements and has not yet been successfully applied to Indian populations; and (3) identification of private polymorphisms, particularly via Y-chromosome and mtDNA analysis, is an accepted means to define the common genetic characteristics of an ethnic group, and an accurate means to determine whether an individual has some degree of Indian ancestry. ...

                          Good luck with your writing, if you'd like to share contracts and resources, just let me know!

                          Cheers,

                          Christel

                          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, stefaniedunning@... wrote:

                          Hi all,

                          I was wondering if any of you saw the PBS special done by Henry Louis
                          Gates in February for Black History Month where he attempts to use DNA
                          to trace the ancestry of some famous African Americans back to Africa?

                          I don't know if you've already talked about this or not, so forgive me. I also wonder
                          if there are any geneticists on the list here and what your point of view of this is?

                          I am hoping to write something on this. I think what is interesting about it (in short)
                          is that while his project was seemingly essentialist (you know, finding one's "pure"
                          black origin) what he actually uncovered was how multi-racial most of them were!
                          For example, both Oprah Winfrey and Mae Jemison discovered they are
                          some percentage of East Asian ancestry. Gates discovered about himself
                          that "genetically speaking" he is mostly of Northern European descent and did
                          Quincy Jones. So what this "back to Africa" project uncovered--instead of how
                          "African" the folks where, but rather how "miscegenated," if you will, they all are.

                          I wonder what you all thought of that...if any of you had seen the special?

                          Stefanie.
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.